Maize/Corn in Leffe Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Opinion seems to be divided on whether Leffe use Flaked Maize in their Blonde Beer. I have always used in at about 10% but others on another forum say it isn’t an ingredient. Brewfather library recipes generally have it included as do two online beer seller. What is the experience and view of our members?
Thanks in advance.
CC

I haven't found anything definitive, but the research I've done on it indicates yes, corn is an ingredient. What seems to be really up for debate is whether it's corn or corn sugar. I know Belgians use a lot of corn sugar in their beer, so I'm of the mind that it's corn sugar.

I’ve seen a lot of references including Stan Hieronymus using the word Maize in Leffe. Corn sugar is called Dextrose in UK and corn is a general term for cereal grains like wheat, barley and maize. But maize is also called sweetcorn to confuse even more.😹

Been a while since I've had a Belgian Blonde. Now you have me wanting to brew 1... But as for the corn/corn sugar thing, I'd go with what Stan says over what I think.

I think they just mash the corn/maize, corn sugar is not used much in belgium, we get our sugars mostly from sugarbeet.

Back