best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who else?

immortal.jpg

I want to punch bands like this in the face. You don't look scary in that ****, you look stupid.

Man, there is a lot of stuff in this thread that is NOT metal.

You guys should check out Necrophagist, Skeletonwitch, Evile, Skinless, Venom, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Kalmah, and Fragments of Unbecoming.

Maybe even some Cattle Decapitation for you vegans out there.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

man that first Deicide album... and the second (legion) <shivers>
so....
gooood.....

<bows>

I'd have to say a few of my faves right now are Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, and Opeth. They're all completely different, and suit different moods.

:rockin:

To say Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. isn't metal is naive. They started it and you wouldn't have Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, etc without them.

Im 42 and have been playing hard rock all my life, and i would rather prefer to put Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, Ozzy, Dio and the likes in a completely different music style category than the bands of today like System of a down, slipknot and such.

Because frankly, i do not see anything in common going on within these two Eras of music.

It has about as much in common as Country and Jazz to my hears and soul.

I cannot relate to any bands going on today, just like i couldn't relate to any of what my parents listened to, and like my kids will not be able to relate to any of the stuff that i enjoy.

hard to decide.

Metal ---> King Diamond/Mercyful Fate.
Awesome live shows and albums are always well produced. The King IS King.

Progressive Metal ----> Tie: Fates Warning & Redemption
Prog Rock ----> Kansas
Thrash ----> Anthrax
Loudest ---> Spinal Tap
Freaking cool and under appreciated ---> Mudvayne. Lacuna Coil. Five Finger Death Punch. Straight Line Stitch. Type O Negative. Pist On. Armored Saint.

Whiners ---> Metallica.

Detachable penis!
Although I vote for Opeth, Pantera close second, Slayer close third
:rockin:

Im 42 and have been playing hard rock all my life, and i would rather prefer to put Sabbath, Zeppelin, Maiden, Ozzy, Dio and the likes in a completely different music style category than the bands of today like System of a down, slipknot and such.

Granted, definitely different. But I don't think you can say those early guys didn't contribute and pave the road for what's going on today.

Granted, definitely different. But I don't think you can say those early guys didn't contribute and pave the road for what's going on today.

In my opinion, the music of today has got nothing in common with the music i grew up in my teens and even afterwards, totally different musical structures, sound, attitude, feel, concerns and soul.

Musicians of today still use drums and guitars and microphones, thats about all i feel they have in common.

Not meaning any disrespect towards the people of the younger generations here, but i cannot stand any bands going on in metal today.

Im sorry, but it's like comparing apples and bananas for me, totally different things.

I agree with you regarding Slipknot, etc. But there are plenty of modern metal bands whose roots you can trace back to the earlier style. For example, lots of so called folk or viking metal bands have elements of power metal (i.e. Iron Maiden, Dio). If you want an example I would point you toward a band called Ensiferum. I'm pretty sure you'll see the resemblance.

Ensiferum on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I'm more partial to the loin ribs and shoulder myself. :D

To say Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. isn't metal is naive. They started it and you wouldn't have Slipknot, Five Finger Death Punch, etc without them.

I don't trust any list that puts led zeppelin and black sabbath in the same category...and it doesn't even include doom metal. How can you not list an entire generation of music that was inspired by black sabbath?

And **** slipknot. I don't consider them metal either. Most of the nu-metal bands are just terrible.

It also doesn't show thrash metal linked to death metal. That chart is weak.

This one is a little better...blues, hard rock, heavy metal.

metalhistoryzb0.jpg

I'd put zeppelin more in the hard rock category. I've always considered black sabbath "classic metal" and it didn't really get started until the NWOBHM and old power metal, like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

I agree with DeathBrewer here, perhaps i should state the only styles i am able to enjoy are Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, some Classic Metal and Power Metal.

But hey... im getting old ya know.

I think it is perfectly normal for different generations to relate to completely different things.

Right now, I'm listening to Sublime (40oz to freedom lp).. One of the best albums ever made.. so good... I love beer...

Hot topic has Dead Kennedys shirts and albums.. Just because a lot of tools go in there and buy them doesnt make the band suck or "mallcore". I hope Converge wasnt one of the bands you were talking about either, even though they're hardcore, they are way harder than most metal bands. Its not like I said Atreyu or something. I cant believe no one has brought up Napalm Death. (i didnt look through the whole thread either though)
This question is kind of bulls**t because there are way to many subgenres.

Here's the first time :D

I don't know about best of all time, but I do loves me some All That Remains.

For music videos, you can't beat Himsa. Check out Unleash Carnage and/or Big Timber. I lol'ed my ass off. :D

Doom metal is probably one of my fav metal sub-genres, especally the folky tinged ones. Agalloch, ...In the Woods, Drudkh (edit: I guess drudkh is more blackish folk, but has a similar feel), etc.

I don't trust any list that puts led zeppelin and black sabbath in the same category...and it doesn't even include doom metal. How can you not list an entire generation of music that was inspired by black sabbath?

And **** slipknot. I don't consider them metal either. Most of the nu-metal bands are just terrible.

It also doesn't show thrash metal linked to death metal. That chart is weak.

This one is a little better...blues, hard rock, heavy metal.

metalhistoryzb0.jpg

I'd put zeppelin more in the hard rock category. I've always considered black sabbath "classic metal" and it didn't really get started until the NWOBHM and old power metal, like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Can you give an example of folk metal? I like folk, and I like metal, so I'm just asking...

Metallica before they became the sellout bitches that they now are.

I wanna punch kittens when people say this sort of retarded ****. Do you honestly think that Metallica should just keep writing the same exact material from Kill 'em All over and over?

I mean f--k, the band's been around since 1981 for God's sake. Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield were 18 at the time. They're now 45. Have any of your interests or tastes changed in the last 28 years?

Personally I haven't liked anything they've done since '...and Justice for All' but that doesn't mean I begrudge them for evolving a little bit and it doesn't mean they're "sellout bitches".

Oh, but they are. I understand they still have a huge following, but it's not my fault if those people like **** music. They did it for the money, and that's it. They don't care about the music. They went for a more mainstream audience.

Testament and Slayer have been playing thrash for over 20 years. Testament has evolved greatly during that time, experimenting and letting their music grow. But they are still bad-****ing-ass.

The last thing I want is for good Metal to go mainstream. Once that happens, they all turn into Metallica.

Oh, but they are. I understand they still have a huge following, but it's not my fault if those people like **** music. They did it for the money, and that's it. They don't care about the music. They went for a more mainstream audience.

Name ONE band on earth who has created ground breaking music at any time in their careers and who has ALSO continued to have such a career for 28 years.

I can name several truly ground breaking bands:
Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Beatles
Motorhead
Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin

Only two of those bands even exist anymore and both of them sound the same way they did 20 years ago! You're not breaking any new ground by imitating yourself.

Testament and Slayer have been playing thrash for over 20 years. Testament has evolved greatly during that time, experimenting and letting their music grow. But they are still bad-****ing-ass.

The last thing I want is for good Metal to go mainstream. Once that happens, they all turn into Metallica.

Bull****. Testament hasn't done anything good since 1996

And Slayer? "God Hates Us All" is the worst record on earth. Slayer's one of my favorite bands ever, but I threw that CD out my car window after the first listen.

I wanna punch kittens when people say this sort of retarded ****. Do you honestly think that Metallica should just keep writing the same exact material from Kill 'em All over and over?

Yes, that is exactly what I think.

btw, punching kittens is a good thing - thats how Metallica's music used to make you feel and we loved it. I'd rather feel like punching kittens than feel like turning the stereo off which is how Metallica's music makes me feel now.

[youtube]Nh2vPCRRRNA[/youtube]

[youtube]rbsHXuw-9jk[/youtube]

[youtube]y1llKWeNUcQ&feature[/youtube]

[youtube]H9Bi_g_w0wI&feature[/youtube]

Back