best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for Iron Maiden... the "thinking man's metal". Check out YouTube for recent shows. Bruce Dickenson's voice is terrific... better than some of the 80's tours.

My god.. I only read through a few pages of this post and I can't believe what I saw. METALLICA??? REALLY??? They never were and never will be metal. If they are metal then Flavor Flave is metal. Sabbath started it all because the guitarist finger got cut off or something and he played chords that were called the devils chords (?) and metal was born. Led Zep is not metal. They are no genre. They will never be duplicated. Korn? dammit! Stop listening to the radio and go find some real music.
Between the Buried and Me- My God they are good
Converge- If you like fast and loud, you have never heard faster or louder
The Human Abstract- WOW
Protest the Hero- Awesome guitars, Awesome vocals
Killswitch Engage- Only bad thing about these guys is too many bands tried to duplicate them---- and failed
I Wrestled A Bear Once- Thrash metal with some of the most amazing female lead vocals in metal.. ever...PERIOD
August Burns Red, Haste the Day, Parkway Drive, Genghis Tron. SO many out there. This is but a fraction of a fraction of what is good now. The old stuff is good but really dated compared to what is happening now. By the way Slayer still kills.
I prefer punk most of the time but these newer metal bands have me listening. ME LIKEY

wha??

Ride the Lightning was straight up speed metal. just because they suck now doesn't mean they never did anything decent.

(sorry, didn't mean to mention metallica)

****ing slayer :rockin:

My god.. I only read through a few pages of this post and I can't believe what I saw. METALLICA??? REALLY??? They never were and never will be metal. If they are metal then Flavor Flave is metal. Sabbath started it all because the guitarist finger got cut off or something and he played chords that were called the devils chords (?) and metal was born. Led Zep is not metal. They are no genre. They will never be duplicated. Korn? dammit! Stop listening to the radio and go find some real music.
Between the Buried and Me- My God they are good
Converge- If you like fast and loud, you have never heard faster or louder
The Human Abstract- WOW
Protest the Hero- Awesome guitars, Awesome vocals
Killswitch Engage- Only bad thing about these guys is too many bands tried to duplicate them---- and failed
I Wrestled A Bear Once- Thrash metal with some of the most amazing female lead vocals in metal.. ever...PERIOD
August Burns Red, Haste the Day, Parkway Drive, Genghis Tron. SO many out there. This is but a fraction of a fraction of what is good now. The old stuff is good but really dated compared to what is happening now. By the way Slayer still kills.
I prefer punk most of the time but these newer metal bands have me listening. ME LIKEY

Most of those bands are hot-topic mallcore not metal.

Oh and I'm not going to pretend that this is the best metal band of all time or anything like that, but you guys that like thrasier/heavier metal should check out my buddy Oliver's band 'eVile'. They're great, they play classic era thrash with a bit of a death metal vibe brought to it, and they're very very good. They've already toured with Megadeth, and you'll probably really like them. Great speedy-crushing riffs, catchy hooks, well crafted songs, with interesting lead work, plenty of changes on drums... there is a lot to like. Flemming Rasmussen of Lightning era 'Tallica produced their latest effort "Into the Grave", so go to their site and give them a listen.

MySpace.com - EVILE - DVD Redux OUT NOW - Huddersfield, UK - Thrash / Metal - www.myspace.com/evileuk

Soulfly are way up there:D

A lot of people seem to like them, but I could never really deal with their experimental angle that much. Max's song writing on the Soulfly discs was always a bit disappointing to me. In the Sepultura era, his playing was never really amazing, but his riffs were always catchy and clever even if they were simpler.

Just never could really appreciate Soulfly or post-Max Sepultura either for that matter. Soulfly was lacking the brutality, Sepultura was lacking the catchy riffs and songwriting.

After Chaos A.D. it was all down hill.

Best Metal Band that has yet to be mentioned:

CRYPTOPSY

( The Lord Worm Era Cryptopsy - not this new **** that they are playing now )

In the kitchen
With a screaming triple amputee...
Its completion depends solely
On my needs...
Said amputee's stumps
Are my way of saying... "Thank you
Just for being you."
Its fear tastes better than its limbs.

Go to youtube or something and check out "Phobophile" by Cryptopsy and be amazed. Flo was off the chain on drums back then, and Lord Worm with the insane vocal sickness and off the wall lyrics... thats pretty hard to top.

In Europe, the don't do this lameass separation of music into miniscule subgenres. I used to be a booking agent at one of the largest metal booking agencies in the US. We handled 60+ bands. Everyone from Venom to King Diamond. Merciful Fate to Hatebreed, Pro-Pain, Pissing Razors, Killswitch Engage, the list goes on. Basically if they were on Century Media, Relapse, or any of those metal labels, we probably booked them.
I booked mostly stoner rock stuff, though I had some punk & hardcore bands.

I booked the Dying Fetus tour in 1999. It was retarded to me, the way a band like that would only be playing in front of 20 kids in one city. In Europe, these guys play in front of HUNDREDS of kids. All because here in the US, everyone defines what they like into all these sub-genres. In Europe (or Japan), people who like heavy music come out to see heavy music.

In Europe, the don't do this lameass separation of music into miniscule subgenres.

don't kid yourself - they do - lol

Black Metal, "troo" Black Metal, Symphonic Black Metal, Folk Black Metal, etc... I could go on and on. I know hundreds if not thousands of metal fans over there and I'm certain they are just as bad about categorizing everything as American fans are. It does seem to me like its mostly the younger fans that are doing the categorizing though, but I assure you its not just American kids... The Europeans, The Aussies, The New Zealanders, The South Americans, even the Koreans.

I totally get what you're saying about the turnout at European shows though. I've got some DVD bootlegs of Cannibal Corpse playing in Karkow Poland - 30 thousand kids packing an arena and just going total ape****. I've seen CC here in the states I guess 6 times in just the last few years, never seen more than 7-8 hundred turn out, even when they brought a bands like Dying Fetus and Napalm Death along.

And speaking of Dying Fetus, if you haven't checked this band out yet - go on youtube or something and find a song by them called "Judgement Day" - if you're not really into the death metal/grind core lyrical style it might not be that approachable to you, but rhythmically its very catchy - good riffs and hooks, very well crafted super heavy song.

i was going to say, they might mix genres for tours and whatnot, but they definitely belong to their style of music.

a lot of bands cross platforms, and have mixed genres, too.

it's just a system of classification, it doesn't really mean anything in regards to quality.

They might classify things that way, but it doesn't prevent them from going to ALL of the heavy shows anyway. The kids over there are like "Is it heavy? Cool, I'm going!"

Well they don't have near the number of shows that we have either to be fair about it.

I hear them and they're all excited that they get to see some band most US kids couldn't give a **** about thats playing in a couple of months.

This weekend, within a hundred miles I can see Soulfly, Bleed the Sky, Incite, Deristation. Next weeked Dragonforce with Turisas, Powerglove. And I'm not even bothering to mention the shows with combover-scene-bands that I wouldn't cross the street to see.

You know what else is cool about the crowds at European shows ? The total lack of karate-fags gaying up the pits with their floor punches and picking up change.

It would be really cool if both the Eurpean scene and the US scene could swap more bands. I mean there are a lot of Eurpoean metal bands that I've been fans of for years and never had a chance to see just because they can't afford to come here. Likewise, you probably booked DF, but I bet you never booked oh say Devourment a band I know has a following in Europe but will probably never tour there just because of the economics involved.

Oh and so I don't stray too far off the subject here - if you're not familiar with Devourment by all means check them out.

MySpace.com - DEVOURMENT - Dallas, Texas - Death Metal / Metal / Grindcore - www.myspace.com/devourment

Another band that might be somewhat unapproachable by anyone without an appreciation of the "sewer" style vocal - if thats you, just try and ignore the lyrics and get into the smashing brutality of it all, once you do that the sewer gurgle lyrical style makes sense. I highly recommend "Postmortal Coprophagia" from their 99 release "Molesting the Decapitated".

it's just a system of classification, it doesn't really mean anything in regards to quality.

I think I get where he's coming from on the over classification thing though, it does get kind of annoying when its over done. Personally I like a few genres of metal Death Metal, Grindcore, Blackened Death Metal. I might talk about the questionable subgenres with someone when we're discussing similar bands eg ( Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Blackened Death Metal ) but there is a definite tendency to take that too far.

I know I kind of kicked it off with the mall-core remark, but I basically reserve that for trendy fake faux-metal as loved by the combover hot-topic scenesters - you know the kids that discovered metal when they turned 14 last year and put their makeup on after they've left the house so mommy don't see, on the way down to hot topic to be seen with their friends, cut themselves, and shop for colored hair spray.

I think I get where he's coming from on the over classification thing though, it does get kind of annoying when its over done. Personally I like a few genres of metal Death Metal, Grindcore, Blackened Death Metal. I might talk about the questionable subgenres with someone when we're discussing similar bands eg ( Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Blackened Death Metal ) but there is a definite tendency to take that too far.

I know I kind of kicked it off with the mall-core remark, but I basically reserve that for trendy fake faux-metal as loved by the combover hot-topic scenesters - you know the kids that discovered metal when they turned 14 last year and put their makeup on after they've left the house so mommy don't see, on the way down to hot topic to be seen with their friends, cut themselves, and shop for colored hair spray.

"emo"-metal, eh?

i hate to say it but seeing all the emo crowds around, i actually miss goth.

So I take it you don't like Dimmu Borgir?

I mean, ok, they're not mall-metal kids, but I just have ZERO respect for a metal band with a gimmick, except Slipknot. Metal bands with gimmicks is why I started listening to hardcore and thrash.

"emo"-metal, eh?

i hate to say it but seeing all the emo crowds around, i actually miss goth.

oh god yes - ****ing emo metal needs to die

yes that was exactly what i meant - emo

yeah the goth crowd was actually pretty cool except for the goth dudes were generally a bunch of fags

but goth girls - wow

totally go for the goth suicide girl type

So I take it you don't like Dimmu Borgir?

I mean, ok, they're not mall-metal kids, but I just have ZERO respect for a metal band with a gimmick, except Slipknot. Metal bands with gimmicks is why I started listening to hardcore and thrash.

Well Dimmu Borgir is not really a band that I dislike. I actually think that "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant" was acceptable listening material.

But it probably would not occur to me to bring Dimmu up anywhere near a discussion of best metal bands of all time ( even though I do think I mentioned them a few pages back - ha ha )

Can't stand Slipknot though. Speaking of metal bands with a gimmick - how do you feel about GWAR ??

Gwar rocks. some of the funniest **** ever...i missed my chance to see them and was so dissapointed, i hear they put on quite a show. slipknot failed at trying to rip off thier costume idea...the first cd was "ok" but nothing special. and i'm from iowa.

Last time I checked Molly Hatchet was Southern Rock...;)

Yeah, and Motley Crue was a all-girl band! :D Too much lipstick to be taken seriously...

motleycrue.jpg

Gwar rocks. some of the funniest **** ever...i missed my chance to see them and was so dissapointed, i hear they put on quite a show. slipknot failed at trying to rip off thier costume idea...the first cd was "ok" but nothing special. and i'm from iowa.

Yeah I'm in love with GWAR. Never seen them live before, but I've got a good collection of their videos. I just don't see whats not to like about GWAR, sure they're gimmicky but their gimmick is so over the top that it works, and they right great songs with funny lyrics.

Yeah, but see their gimmick was that they had a gimmick.
All these metal bands that wear make-up to look evil make me want to punch them

lol - like oh say Dimmu Borgir for example ?

yes I agree, but it doesn't make me so much want to punch them as it makes me just want to listen to something else.

Now the emo karate fags - they totally get me in the mood to punch babies.

What I think is funny about Slipknot is, everytime I play them for someone who likes metal without telling the person who the band is, they're always like "Wow! I like this!".

Its true, the gimmick is lame and their fans are toolbags, but they're one of my top 3 favorite bands.

Most of those bands are hot-topic mallcore not metal.

Hot topic has Dead Kennedys shirts and albums.. Just because a lot of tools go in there and buy them doesnt make the band suck or "mallcore". I hope Converge wasnt one of the bands you were talking about either, even though they're hardcore, they are way harder than most metal bands. Its not like I said Atreyu or something. I cant believe no one has brought up Napalm Death. (i didnt look through the whole thread either though)
This question is kind of bulls**t because there are way to many subgenres.

did i miss napalm death? damnit...i guess there are too many good ones out there. a lot more crap, tho.

Atreyu?? really? never heard of them...but any band that names themselves after a character in the neverending story deserves a listen :D

did i miss napalm death? damnit...i guess there are too many good ones out there. a lot more crap, tho.

Atreyu?? really? never heard of them...but any band that names themselves after a character in the neverending story deserves a listen :D

Atreyu is garbage.. definately dont listen to them. from the bands I have seen you name it will only end in disappointment.

Yeah we allready brought up Napalm Death. But Napalm Death isn't really a Metal band, they're a grindcore band and proud of it. Had a convo with Barney about it just last year..

Yeah we allready brought up Napalm Death. But Napalm Death isn't really a Metal band, they're a grindcore band and proud of it. Had a convo with Barney about it just last year..

I would think that this thread would include any kind of metal or meta derivative.

That being said, I've recently begun wondering why I hadn't listened to Entombed in such a long time. Man, I love that band. I think Clandestine is one of my favorite albums.

Back