best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name ONE band on earth who has created ground breaking music at any time in their careers and who has ALSO continued to have such a career for 28 years.

I can name several truly ground breaking bands:
Bad Brains
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Beatles
Motorhead
Rolling Stones
Led Zepplin

Only two of those bands even exist anymore and both of them sound the same way they did 20 years ago! You're not breaking any new ground by imitating yourself.

I don't understand your point. Metallica continues to make music and have a following because they slowed down their tunes and appealed to a wider audience by making crap.

Bull****. Testament hasn't done anything good since 1996

Difference of opinion. I like just about everything Testament has done. Maybe you just don't like the style anymore?

And Slayer? "God Hates Us All" is the worst record on earth. Slayer's one of my favorite bands ever, but I threw that CD out my car window after the first listen.

Sounds like you don't really like thrash anymore. Except the stuff you've listened to previously and you simply like it now because you liked it then. That's what I'm reading...pretty funny considering you're giving people **** for liking a certain style.

Give Evile a listen and see if you like it. There still may be hope for you.

#1 for me is Death Angel

then ...
Sepultura
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Pantera
Testament

And throw King's X in there for Prog Metal/Rock.

Oh, man. I remember Death Angel being rad, but listened to it recently it is so terrible. I used to love some of their songs, but I can't remember what they are and trying to sift through all the crap to find those few is really not worth the effort. They were supposed to tour through here soon. Maybe I'll check out the show just for giggles.

Testament is hands-down my favorite thrash band.

We definitely have slightly different taste in music.

Some of the newer hardcore, nu-metal, NWOAHM (or whatever the **** they call it), etc. is terrible. I can't stand Otep or Slipknot (and I'm from Iowa.)

But I do like Pro-Pain and Lamb of God. Looks like most of your thrash is older stuff, too ;)

Here's my list: Pandora profile

I like cheesy heavy metal (Halford, 3 inches of blood, grave digger), thrash (testament, evile, skeletonwitch is badass), melodic death metal (death, necrophagist) and many others.

I guess the problem with most people in regards to Metallica is that they LOVE the music, and those guys really had some talent. Then they abandoned it for weaker music and a wider audience. I don't blame them...whatever...who wouldn't want to make more money with less effort? Well...unless they actually cared about the music...

Yeah I was wondering how you could say Testament hasn't done anything good since 96 too ? Formation of Damnation is probably the best thing they've ever done.

The best Death Angel album was "Act III". But there were a couple great tracks off the earlier album "Frolic Through the Park".

Testament is purely awesome. I was listening to "Low" just the other day...

I agree with you DeathB... I am not into the Numetal scene at all. Just not the same vibe. And Metallica lost me after Justice. I can stomach listening to the Black album but I never play it for myself.

Anyone remember Wasted Youth? They were more punk metal I guess, but had an album called Black Daze that freaked me out back in the late 80's. Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver) got his start with them.

I don't really think there's a "best" metal band but my favorite is probably PANTERA!! followed closely by iron maiden, mega death dream theater(if you consider them metal though they are kinda prog) and motor head. also i've been listening to a ton of opeth lately

The best Death Angel album was "Act III". But there were a couple great tracks off the earlier album "Frolic Through the Park".

I'll check it out. I have no idea what I was listening to previously.

Yeah I was wondering how you could say Testament hasn't done anything good since 96 too ? Formation of Damnation is probably the best thing they've ever done.

Formation of Damnation was ****ing killer.

icon_lhdevil.gif

I really liked The Gathering, too...though Practice What You Preach is probably my favorite album.

Its cool you guys mention eVile. Oliver from eVile has been an internet/chat buddy of mine for years now - since way before the band got started. Its funny how people you know online go on to do something really cool later. Anyway, I really like his band eVile a lot - to me it sounds like retro-death metal taken back in the thrash direction. Sort of like what Megadeth might have become if Megadeth sucked less.

If you want to check them out, I think their web address is myspace.com/evileuk

I hope thats right, I can't get on myspace right now to check it out - but they're definitely a great band that you need to check out if you don't know of them already. If you like heavy thrash bordering on brutal death metal you'll love them.

What I think is funny about Slipknot is, everytime I play them for someone who likes metal without telling the person who the band is, they're always like "Wow! I like this!".

Its true, the gimmick is lame and their fans are toolbags, but they're one of my top 3 favorite bands.

When the first Disc came out I was hooked, Then I liked Iowa even Better. When Vol.3 and The New one Came out I became Unhooked. They were my favorite Band for a long time and Now They Irritate me and Lamb Of God As taken over there spot as my fav band and If I have to hear some shiot about looking at someone through glass im gonna Stick nails in my ear drums, Stone Sour is pathetic.

I liked a couple of songs from the first album. Iowa was terrible.

I think I liked Iowa better because it was heavier, Something I always noticed with Slipknot was that the instrumental portion of there music is sloppy and doesn't have that tightness that a lot of other bands have. Still though Ive seen them 9 times and Joey is the best drummer Ive ever seen in person other then Dave Lombardo.

I have to admit, All Hope Is Gone isn't very good

Is anyone into Darkest Hour here?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMAorUAzm6o]YouTube - Darkest Hour - "The Sadist Nation"[/ame]

Ah nevermind I see it on the news part... not in the gig page though

"October 20 Roxy, Saskatoon, SA" this is where i live... sweeeeet

Ah nevermind I see it on the news part... not in the gig page though

"October 20 Roxy, Saskatoon, SA" this is where i live... sweeeeet

Please tell me you've seen 3IOB live, right? You have no excuse, living in Canada :p

I've seen them here in the bay area like 5 times. Always a good show.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Just got Tickets to go see Slipknot,DevilDriver and 3IOB!

Deathbrewer how good is 3IOB in Concert?

The first time I saw them, the sound was mixed perfectly. It was more clear and sounded better than the album. The singer is a big lumberjack looking mofo with long hair and a beard. It's funny as hell watching him wave his fist and scream in that high-pitch voice. The background singer looks like he's about to die the whole time :D

The last time I saw them, the background singer wasn't with them and the guitarist did the background vocals. It worked really well...hate to say it, but they don't need the other guy.

Anyway, they're bad-****ing-ass live. I try and never miss a show.

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

well i am new here but I have been directed over to this thread, but here are the best in their respective genre's.

Thrash Metal - Pantera, hands down the best.
Death Metal - Dying Fetus/Nile, I have seen both bands live and both are ****ing amazing. I also have to put in an honorable mention, the band Death. RIP chuck!
Black Metal - Immortal and Lord Belial. Immortal needs to come to the US!
Folk Metal - Ensiferum, I saw these guys last year. They are ****ing rad.
Viking Metal - Thyrfing/Amon Amarth - simply amazing, although amon amarth's last CD sucked ****.
Melodic Death Metal - Wintersun - if you havent heard these guys, they are amazing. This band blows 3 inches of blood out of the water.

Theres the list. Let me know if any of you guys are into these bands.

I can see how people confuse Pantera for thrash sometimes, especially in their faster songs, but that doesn't change the fact that Slayer is the greatest thrash band ever, closely followed by Testament. ;)

Just listened to some wintersun...pretty amazing guitar work...too bad the vocals are so lame. Completely different band than 3IOB. Sounds more like Children of Bodom.

My sentimental vote is Pantera. I was lucky & got to see them 14 times. Metal is a tough category to nail down, every 5 years it seems the styles change.

My current Fav's

soilwork
Meshuggah
Diecast
Between the buried and me (colors is an amazing album)
Scar Symmetry
Machine Head
Mastodon

BTW here is a pretty good breakdown of the Thrash Genre

Thrash metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can see how people confuse Pantera for thrash sometimes, especially in their faster songs, but that doesn't change the fact that Slayer is the greatest thrash band ever, closely followed by Testament. ;).

I would agree, even though Testament has had some up and down moments over the last 10 yrs, good to see that Skolnick is back! I saw Testament on the Low tour years ago they were amazing.

Best Metal Bands = Best Thread Ever!!!!!!!

Killswitch Engage (most talented, real band out there today)
Soilwork (gotta love swedish metal)
Lamb of God (enough said)
Pantera (RIP Dimebag)
Black Sabbath (they were 2nd to Led Zeppelin in starting the genre)
Slipknot (I consider them metal)

you lose your metal license for Pantera was never thrash, much less "the best"

well tell me how pantera is not thrash? I mean its definately a little different than traditional thrash metal bands, eg slayer, early metallica, ect. But I wouldnt classify them as heavy, death, or melo death. If anything they are in the thrash metal genre. I suppose they were a bit unique for the time.

Yeah wintersun is awesome. Bodom in my opinion lost me 2 albums ago. They do sound a bit like older bodom but quite different. Those finnish melodic death metal bands can sound a bit the same.

Pantera is heavy metal. metal-archives calls them "groove metal", whatever the hell that is. bnr says "post-thrsah"

But, yeah...they're heavy metal. The vocals just screw you up, much as some people don't think that Grave Digger is heavy metal.

Back