Best IPA in Canton and Pittsburgh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
I'm going to be back in the Canton, OH area for a few days and the Pittsburgh, PA area for a few days as well. What IPAs should I check out? Any must-visit breweries?

I'd make it up to Great Lakes Brewing Co if you have access to a car while you're in Canton. If not, well, it might be worth renting one for the day.:p

Depending upon when you're there, they might have the Lake Erie Monster available, which is a crazy good IIPA. It might be my favorite. I generally enjoy it more than Hopslam. Yes, criticize me if you must, but it's true. Just try a 4 pack first. Barring that, their Burning River Pale Ale is a staple. I'm convinced it's the 5th food group. Yum.

GuldTuborg said:
I'd make it up to Great Lakes Brewing Co if you have access to a car while you're in Canton. If not, well, it might be worth renting one for the day.:p

Depending upon when you're there, they might have the Lake Erie Monster available, which is a crazy good IIPA. It might be my favorite. I generally enjoy it more than Hopslam. Yes, criticize me if you must, but it's true. Just try a 4 pack first. Barring that, their Burning River Pale Ale is a staple. I'm convinced it's the 5th food group. Yum.

+1 Great Lakes is good but I haven't tried the Monster before.

Fatheads in Pittsburgh has an awesome locally brewed IPA. They call it Head Hunter IPA. I believe it's actually brewed in Cleveland where their other location is but it's damn fine regardless. Similar to Green Flash West Coast IPA but it'll be fresher and it's a little lighter on the malt. Yeah, Church is cool, make sure to ask if anything in on hand pump. I'm never really blown away by any of their beer and I don't like how they serve it with no foam in the glass. There's a Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh which is a nice place to go if you like German beer and food. There's also Penn Brewery with more German beer and food and they also have an ok Pale Ale.

I'm heading to Cleveland for the first time tomorrow and plan to check out Great Lakes in person on Wednesday night.

The stand outs at Church Brew are always their seasonals (right now a belgian strong and an imperial irish red)...they always have a rotating stout (currently a nitrogenated irish dry stout).

In terms of IPA's, Victory Brewing is almost always available in Pittsburgh, and their Hop Devil is pretty good. I know some people will disagree with me (it seems like it's trendy to not like Dogfish Head...), but I think DFH 60 Min is about the best IPA ever... If they're not distributed in SF, and you've never had one, give it a try (90 min isn't too bad either, but personally I think 60 min is better...)

I bought a bottle or two of Hopping Frog's IPA a year or so ago when I was in the area, and I really liked it.

Otherwise, I'm a huge Great Lakes fan!

Thirst Dog Brewery is in Akron. They just opened up a tasting room.

Thirsty Dog Brewing Co.
529 Grant St. Suite B
Akron, Ohio 44311
Phone: (330) 252-BREW

There's also a Hofbrauhaus in Pittsburgh. It's like Disneyland.

+1 for Fat Head's Headhunter IPA, one of the finest IPAs I've ever had. East End Brewing's Big Hop is fairly easy to find on tap in Pittsburgh and quite solid, but they don't bottle. There's also a new brewery called Full Pint; their Chinookie IPA is highly variable, ranging from mediocre to very good.

If you do make it to Great Lakes, check out Biermarkt around the corner. They stay open 2 hours after GL closes. It's mighty convenient, that.

how about Rivertowne in Monroeville - SHEPHERD’S CROOK SCOTTISH ALE (5.1%)
Medium in body, brown in color, this ale is delightfully malty with complex caramel overtones lending to the smoothest finish you will ever experience! Don’t be afraid of the dark and try this deceptive delight!!!

A HONEY OF A NUT BROWN (5.3%)
This medium bodied nut brown ale will take you across the pond with its deliciously complex malt character. Aging this beer on clover honey adds to the malty scruptiousness! Warning!!! This beer will improve your ability to play darts.

DOUBLE CROSS (6.7%)
This medium bodied Celtic double red ale has a delicious malt character matched with a subtle hop finish! Enjoy the oncoming season and have a Celtic red today!

ARCTIC AMBER (6.0%)
It's back and it is ice cold!!! Due to popular demand we bring this perfectly balanced amber ice beer back just for you. Remember to wear your gloves, this one could give you frost bite.

SPRINGFEST MARZEN (6.3%)
Everyone knows about the delicious beer that comes out in October called Oktoberfest, well, in March the Germans drink Marzen. Marzens are characterized by a complex toasted malt sweetness and a subtle Noble Hop character. Spring is here so drink some beer!!!

Rx Pils-ner (5.4%)
The Saaz doctor is in! This crisp medium bodied Czech lager has a simple yet complex malt character that supports an abundance of Saaz hop flavor!

ULTIMATE WORRIOR! (5.5%)
Contrary to popular belief…we can spell. This pale the ultimate amount or Worrior hop added throughout the brewing process! We are sure if you like hops you will ultimately love this one!

OLD WYLIE’S IPA (6.2%)
In honor of our friend and mascot, Wylie the fish, we are hooking you up with an aggressively hopped India Pale, the staple for any fishing trip! This beer is a hop lover’s dream!

THE SLHOPPY MONSTER (9.35%) - IMPERIAL I.P.A.
ATTENTION HOP HEADS THE MONSTER IS IN THE HOUSE!!! This beer has an intense hop flavor, hop aroma, and hop bite making it a hop lover’s dream. This is the only monster that is the star of your dreams not your nightmares!!! Take a growler home and put a monster under your bed tonight.

KNIGHT RIDER (6.7%)
This black IPA will not disappoint the stout lover, hop head, or Michael Knight! A medium to full body pairs nicely with an aggressive roasty hop finish! West coast stouts have nothing on this one!

ESPRESSO STOUT (5.7%)
This sweet stout is perfect for a morning pint! Aging this concoction of goodness on freshly ground espresso delivers a pick me up that won’t let you down! Start your day off right!

DRUNKN’ LEPRECHAUN (5.2%)
This Irish staple is served on nitrogen to enhance this deliciously roasty, light-medium bodied stout! Have a few of these and look for the lucky green fellows hopping around the pub! While you are at it try one of our layered stout options!

BABBBBLING BLONDE (5.3%)
This beer's smooth and delicate malt character will take you on a west coast vacation!! So relax, sit back and enjoy the simple things in life!

ULTRA LIGHT TACKLE (4.3%)
If you are into light tackle, this beer is a catch! This golden delight brings a smooth and delicate malt character that will make your visit a refreshing trip!

WHIT O MAKER (6.3%) (FORMERLY WHITE LIGHTNING... CHANGED DUE TO TRADEMARK DISPUTE)
A Belgian white spiced with coriander, sweet orange, grains of paradise and a secret ingredient!!!

I will second Full Pint Chinookie and also the Rivertowne Old Wylie's as far as Pittsburgh IPA's go. I think the two breweries are interelated in some way shape or form. Plus they both started bottling.

Also worth a visit is The BrewKettle in Strongsville (off I-71):

http://www.thebrewkettle.com/

Currently they have their 4 C's Pale Ale on tap...locally (Canton and Akron) the Acme chain of grocery stores carries their bomber offerings, one of which is Old 21, an IIPA...

come visit me at work; Thirsty Dog in Akron... just north of Canton. Also, if you're going up to Cleveland (which you should) checking out Fatheads and/or Great Lakes is a must.

Sweet! I knew I came to the right place to ask the question :)

I might not have a ton of time in Pittsburgh to visit a brewery, but I will certainly have time to find one of these ales in a state store or something.

As for Canton, I planned on visiting the Great Lakes place or the hoppin' frog or Thirsty Dog.

npauley88... what days do you work?

I might not have a ton of time in Pittsburgh to visit a brewery, but I will certainly have time to find one of these ales in a state store or something.

As for Canton, I planned on visiting the Great Lakes place or the hoppin' frog or Thirsty Dog.

FYI you wont find beer in a state store. Need to find a six pack shop, bar, or distributor (where you will have to buy a case). What area in Pittsburgh are you staying I can point you to some good place to pickup togo beers.

Ah, ok... I'll actually be out near Cranberry and Butler

Ahh I was hoping you wouldnt say that. I'm on the southeast side of the burgh, and barely ever get out that way. I've heard good things about Domenico's and Mad Mex always has good brews.

Ah, ok... I'll actually be out near Cranberry and Butler

Since you will be this far north already you should try to make it to North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock. It's better than all the previously mentioned places in Pittsburgh anyways. If not the Mad Mex in Cranberry has the best tap list in the area. As far as bottle shops in Cranberry/Butler Gorillo's on Monroe in Butler is the best by default because there aren't any others. They have great prices but a very small selection. 3 Sons/One For the Road in Wexford has the best selection but the worst prices you'll find in the area.

Fat Heads Head Hunter IPA is my favorite IPA in the country & has won a few national awards. The Cleveland Fat Heads sells 4 pack in bottles now, so I'm assuming you could get some for the road in Pittsburgh as well.

Hoppin' Frog in Akron just released their Hop Dam Triple IPA a few weeks ago. I'd suggest picking up a couple bombers if you can catch them when they're open. I'd call ahead first to make sure because they have weird hours & you can only get some of their beers at the brewery.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Great Lakes is definitely worth it, food is okay. A bit expensive. The beers are great though. Someone already mentioned but the bier markt is right around the corner, which has a long list of belgians.

The Brew Kettle in Strongsville, maybe about 15 minutes from Great lakes, has not just their beers but maybe 15-20 guest beers on tap.

Thirsty Dog, never cared for their beers, but I never knew they had a tasting room, so that could be cool to check out.

Hoppin' Frog, have many great beers, but I don't think they have a tasting room. I would call before to go to make sure they are open. I like almost all their beers. I did not care for the berry beers and the porter that they have.

Ohio Brewing, in Akron I think is open again. They used to have a brewpub, then they shut down for awhile, not sure if it is just a brewery or a brewpub now.

Oh, I highly recommend going to Melt in the Cleveland area. Great beer list and even better food. The sandwiches are amazing.

Hoppin' Frog does not have a tasting room. It's basically a small warehouse type room with their brewing equipment only. They are a pretty small operation. One time I stopped by, they were putting their labels on by hand. They have at least a dozen really high quality beers though & their head brewer Fred is a cool guy to talk to. He's the one who looks like Bob Pinciotti from That 70s Show.

If you like wine, there's a winery right across the lot called It's Your Winery. They have some great sweet wines & samples are only around $0.50/ea. They have weird hours too though.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Thanks guys. I'm in Butler now and found the Victory Hop Wallop IPA. It tastes great, but little hop aroma. I actually found Hop Stoopid and Ballast Point Sculpin at Gorillos... crazy! I hope they aren't old. Haha.

Had to get in a couple Yuengling Lagers too :)

Planning on hitting up Great lakes early next week. Maybe hopping frog too.

Here are the local IPAs I found at a small place in Canton. So far the Loose Cannon is winning :)

image-1046563727.jpg

Loose Cannon is definitely a good one. Not too hoppy, which I like. They go down very easily.

Have you tried the Commodore Perry yet? I made a late night, drunken post about just that beer a day or two ago. In fact, I still have 3 more in the fridge. Hmmm...I may just go pour one now.:mug:

the Loose Cannon has a great hop aroma and flavor, but I agree, doesn't come across as terribly bitter.

Not too bitter, is what I should have said. You're right, the hop flavor and aroma is obvious and very nice, and yet still balanced with everything else.

shuggy said:
The Hop Stoopid was fresh but the Sculpin was likely a year old sitting warm on a shelf no less.

You're not kidding. The HS wasn't even fresh. Sculpin was FOUL! I was bummed! The Victory was decent, tho.

+1 for Fat Head's Headhunter IPA, one of the finest IPAs I've ever had. East End Brewing's Big Hop is fairly easy to find on tap in Pittsburgh and quite solid, but they don't bottle. There's also a new brewery called Full Pint; their Chinookie IPA is highly variable, ranging from mediocre to very good.

Fat heads is a must and their Headhunter IPA is amazing. Up their with fresh Pliny

enjoy the headhunter, and get some to-go in a 4pk.

you missed the double headhunter by like 2 weeks.

I had the imperial head hunter about a month ago at the Cleveland brewery. Did it taste almost exactly like the regular to you? I saw 11% & expected it to have some maltiness to it, but it really didn't.

The Headhunter was a seriously kickass IPA. I'm working on getting it to the west coast :)

The JuJu was awesome too!

image-3033745142.jpg

to me it tasted like what its name implies. i think it had perfect amount of maltiness for a double ipa.

I had the imperial head hunter about a month ago at the Cleveland brewery. Did it taste almost exactly like the regular to you? I saw 11% & expected it to have some maltiness to it, but it really didn't.

Back