Best IPA in Canton and Pittsburgh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatheads in Pittsburgh has an awesome locally brewed IPA. They call it Head Hunter IPA.

End of thread. That beer is fantastic.

Also, you need to eat a sandwich called the South Side Slopes while you're there. It's kielbasa, cheese, caramelized onions, and perogies on a gigantic kaiser roll, served with a huge pile of fries. Just don't drink like 3 beers, eat it, and then drink about 5 more beers. You'll throw up. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and if you don't go to the Hofbrauhaus and drink a liter stein of Helles lager, too, you can't call yourself a beer person. That place has to be one of the coolest places on Earth.

Lol, that is exactly what I had... The south side slopes and the Headhunter :)

Both were fantastic. Great place!

Also, you need to eat a sandwich called the South Side Slopes while you're there. It's kielbasa, cheese, caramelized onions, and perogies on a gigantic kaiser roll, served with a huge pile of fries. Just don't drink like 3 beers, eat it, and then drink about 5 more beers. You'll throw up. Ask me how I know.

Oh, and if you don't go to the Hofbrauhaus and drink a liter stein of Helles lager, too, you can't call yourself a beer person. That place has to be one of the coolest places on Earth.

OMG. That sounds like the best thing in the universe! A kielbasa/pierogy sandwich with an IPA?

That's it. I'm going. I bought an airline ticket today, and I'll be there July 1. I'm flying into Cleveland, and staying at my dad's in Youngstown the night before, then we'll head there. Where exactly is it?

OMG. That sounds like the best thing in the universe! A kielbasa/pierogy sandwich with an IPA?

That's it. I'm going. I bought an airline ticket today, and I'll be there July 1. I'm flying into Cleveland, and staying at my dad's in Youngstown the night before, then we'll head there. Where exactly is it?

Since you're flying in to Cleveland you should stop at the Melt and get a Parmageddon. It's a pierogi grilled cheese with kraut and onions. There is always a danger of a 3 hour or more wait at the Melt. You you can get a West Side burger at the Beer Engine. That one's a burger with a pierogi. The Beer Engine's got about 30 micros on tap, 2 casks, and they have a micro bottle list that is a few pages long. Either one would be a great stop before heading down to Great Lakes Brewery. They run hourly brewery tours and I think it's a quarter for samples at the end of the tour. Then there's Sowkalowski's just down the road from Great Lakes for a nice Polish dinner. That hour drive to Youngstown might be a little difficult after all that beer and "light" food.

Since you're flying in to Cleveland you should stop at the Melt and get a Parmageddon. It's a pierogi grilled cheese with kraut and onions. There is always a danger of a 3 hour or more wait at the Melt. You you can get a West Side burger at the Beer Engine. That one's a burger with a pierogi. The Beer Engine's got about 30 micros on tap, 2 casks, and they have a micro bottle list that is a few pages long. Either one would be a great stop before heading down to Great Lakes Brewery. They run hourly brewery tours and I think it's a quarter for samples at the end of the tour. Then there's Sowkalowski's just down the road from Great Lakes for a nice Polish dinner. That hour drive to Youngstown might be a little difficult after all that beer and "light" food.

You guys are killing me!!!!! I'm going to have to make my dad drive. He drinks, but only Genny Cream ale, so he can be the DD.

Anyway, Bob is laughing because he thinks I'm crazy for thinking a pierogy sandwich sounds so wonderful. What can I say? We Pollacks are carb-cravers.

I'm going have to mark these places, but my dad probably will NOT go to melt. He's even worse than I am about dairy (hates cheese with a passion while I simply don't like it) but will get a good burger while I have my fill of carbs!

I just got back from Fat Heads & this experience only reaffirmed why it's the greatest place on Earth...

I was on my way out & ran into the head brewer, who I've talked to briefly a bunch of times. We started chit-chatting about the upcoming brew fest at the IX Center & how they will be at Dark Lord Day this year. When we were done talking & about to leave, not only did he pour us a beer before we left, but also gave us a 4-pack of Hop Juju (which they don't even bottle...they had just ran out of the Head Hunter 4-packs, so he gave us that instead-no charge for any of it). He's an awesome guy!

Oh...and the South Side Slopes with their Honey Chipotle wing sauce (instead of horsey sauce) is probably the best sandwich I've ever had!

You guys are killing me!!!!! I'm going to have to make my dad drive. He drinks, but only Genny Cream ale, so he can be the DD.
I'm going have to mark these places, but my dad probably will NOT go to melt. He's even worse than I am about dairy (hates cheese with a passion while I simply don't like it) but will get a good burger while I have my fill of carbs!

If you don't want to do the gourmet grilled cheese sammies you should definitely head to the Beer Engine then. I think they've got the best food in Lakewood. They've got a better beer list than the Melt too.

I'm bumping this thread, so I can find it again! This has nothing to do with Canton or Pittsburgh, though!

My dad is picking me up at the airport in Cleveland on Thursday, and I want to have an early lunch and a couple of beers. My flight gets in around 10 AM, and I thought we'd see about lunch.

I remember one of those places is near the airport (sort of) in North Olmstead? But I can't remember which one!

I'm bumping this thread, so I can find it again! This has nothing to do with Canton or Pittsburgh, though!

My dad is picking me up at the airport in Cleveland on Thursday, and I want to have an early lunch and a couple of beers. My flight gets in around 10 AM, and I thought we'd see about lunch.

I remember one of those places is near the airport (sort of) in North Olmstead? But I can't remember which one!

I'm hosting a brewday Saturday the 2nd. Brewing Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown. We'd welcome your assistance. Just sayin':mug:

I'm hosting a brewday Saturday the 2nd. Brewing Lil' Sparky's Nut Brown. We'd welcome your assistance. Just sayin':mug:

YESSSS! I don't have a car, though. I'll either have to rent one, or take my dad's car and leave him stranded. Oh, wait- I'll borrow my brother's car. He'll be gone that day to the mountains with his family, and I can take his car. Do you still have my email address? So you can send me the details? If not, PM me with them. I don't have your phone number anymore (phone died) so if you could send that too, that'd be great.

Well I wouldn't rent a car as it's just a couple of guys shooting the bull but if you're free and have access to a car, there's plenty of beer. I'll try to send you an e-mail when I get back from our camping trip this weekend.

I will second Full Pint Chinookie and also the Rivertowne Old Wylie's as far as Pittsburgh IPA's go. I think the two breweries are interelated in some way shape or form. Plus they both started bottling.
Full Pint brews all the beer for Rivertowne....the brewery is literally across the street from the N. Versailles location. I think this was the first bar Full Pint got in with to get their beers out there to the public.

Fatheads is in North Olmstead. If you've never been to one, do yourself a favor and go. Try the Headhunter IPA. They make excellent Ales AND Lagers.

Full Pint brews all the beer for Rivertowne....the brewery is literally across the street from the N. Versailles location. I think this was the first bar Full Pint got in with to get their beers out there to the public.

I have tried looking up their address online to see where exactly they are. I didnt see it on their website. Beeradvocate has it as 1963 Lincoln Highway. Is that the correct location? It is right behind 84 Lumber? If so I am going to be mad, I've driven past there hundreds of times (most of the time to go to Rivertowne). I would actually like to check their setup out sometimes (and 10 bucks for two pints aint bad either!)

Chinookie IPA is pretty damn good (although could have a bit more hop aroma to it). Havent had the their Imperial IPA yet.

Fat Heads just tapped their Smoked Porter too. Love that beer...won the silver at the GABF a few years ago.

U
I have tried looking up their address online to see where exactly they are. I didnt see it on their website. Beeradvocate has it as 1963 Lincoln Highway. Is that the correct location? It is right behind 84 Lumber? If so I am going to be mad, I've driven past there hundreds of times (most of the time to go to Rivertowne). I would actually like to check their setup out sometimes (and 10 bucks for two pints aint bad either!)

Chinookie IPA is pretty damn good (although could have a bit more hop aroma to it). Havent had the their Imperial IPA yet.

It's right behind leader auto sales which is basically next to 84. Look up on the hill from 30 and you'll see their sign on the warehouse. I literally work a few hundred yards away and had driven by hundreds of times myself. The Imperial IPA is on tap for growlers. Oh, cash only, no cards.

Fatheads for sure. Headhunter is a very special IPA. I tried 5 or 6 OHIO IPAs and Headhunter ranks tops... it's as good as the California IPAs I'm used to.

I didn't make it to Fatheads on Thursday. My flight came in early, and we were in the area about 45 minutes before it opened.

We are going to Great Lakes on Monday, though~:mug:

I am not sure if it is officially open yet, but the Market Garden Brewery is right by Great Lakes. You could throw a stone, it is so close. The brewmaster is Andy Tveekrem.

Yooper said:
I didn't make it to Fatheads on Thursday. My flight came in early, and we were in the area about 45 minutes before it opened.

We are going to Great Lakes on Monday, though~:mug:

I don't know where you are at but there is Fat Heads in Pittsburgh and the brewpub is in Cleveland. You probably shouldn't leave without getting a Head Hunter. My top IPA right now.

East End for a very short time starting at noon is dispensing growlers of Bigger Hop imperial IPA. They have one keg then you have to wait for the bomber release next week.

Julohan said:
I am not sure if it is officially open yet, but the Market Garden Brewery is right by Great Lakes. You could throw a stone, it is so close. The brewmaster is Andy Tveekrem.

I saw it come up in beerby via my twitter feed last night. Someone was having a beer there.

kpr121 said:

I had the imperial at Fat Head on my bday it was EXCELLENT. Not seen it anywhere since.

I had the imperial at Fat Head on my bday it was EXCELLENT. Not seen it anywhere since.

Yea, Hop JUJU is also awesome. When I was there I just missed the cask version of Head Hunter... bummer.

Head Hunter is my number two fave IPA... and I'm in IPA country here in norcal.

erockomania said:
Yea, Hop JUJU is also awesome. When I was there I just missed the cask version of Head Hunter... bummer.

Head Hunter is my number two fave IPA... and I'm in IPA country here in norcal.

I haven't had Juju yet, was referring to Full Pints imperial which was on tap at Fatheads.

Market Garden is open, but be forewarned, Andy isn't brewing Dogfish Head type beers. They had 11 on tap yesterday & I think 10 of them were between 4.5-5.5% abv. He's only brewing lite session beers so far, but they were very well made session beers. I was kinda disappointed. They have an imperial ipa coming soon, so we'll see if they start to make a few bigger beers. I think the stout was my favorite...very roasty with some chocolate notes, awesome aroma, tasted a little heavier than the 5% abv would indicate.

Market Garden is open, but be forewarned, Andy isn't brewing Dogfish Head type beers. They had 11 on tap yesterday & I think 10 of them were between 4.5-5.5% abv. He's only brewing lite session beers so far, but they were very well made session beers. I was kinda disappointed. They have an imperial ipa coming soon, so we'll see if they start to make a few bigger beers. I think the stout was my favorite...very roasty with some chocolate notes, awesome aroma, tasted a little heavier than the 5% abv would indicate.

I just realized that tomorrow is the Fourth, and Great Lakes is closed! So, I'm not sure where we'll go before the game. Does Market Garden have a website, so I can call and see if they are open tomorrow?

Yeah, I read a newspaper article about the lower gravity beers. For me though, I am happy to know that the majority of the beers will be lower gravity where I can drink all night. It is a nice change from other breweries who go big.

Example, The Brew Kettle, every time I had been there, aalmost all the beers were higher gravity and maybe one beer would be under 6%.

Is there distillery up and running?

East End does a lot of business with their ever rotating session line. I know I can drink a growler myself and not throw up everywhere. I like high grav beers where for evenings where I may only have one or two.

Thinking about going to Fat Heads Tuesday. Never had a IPA or even a hoppy beer but I'm going head first and getting a head hunters if I go :D

I overheard someone saying their distillery wasn't up and running yet. We don't drink much liquor, so we didn't look much into it.

upperNY01brewer said:
Fat Head's in Pittsburgh their Head Hunter IPA.......amazing beer............

The beers are brewed near Cleveland though. My #1 IPA best beer of any style I have had in a while. Can't wait for the 4-pack sales to come back. They can't keep up. I heard some nice news on my twitter feed tho. They are buying Troeggs set up. The last beer Troeggs will make on it will be a collab between the two. And of course this means Troeggs is also getting a new 100bbl set up so cheers everywhere. Anyway, have a Head Hunter if possible.

They sell 4-packs, but have a very limited supply. They can't keep up with the demand at this point, so I'd call ahead first. If you go M-W, their growlers are $3 off & they usually have Head Hunter on tap all the time.

CTownBrewer said:
They sell 4-packs, but have a very limited supply. They can't keep up with the demand at this point, so I'd call ahead first. If you go M-W, their growlers are $3 off & they usually have Head Hunter on tap all the time.

Sick! Going tonight wanna take some home to drink. Need to get used to hops before I brew some:) Can't wait!

Back