Best Before Dates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
So I have a vile of yeast that has a best before date of March 3rd. I made a pretty robust yeast that was aerated, should everything be good to go? I assume it will be, it's not as if it's May or June.

You can assume a production date of 4 months prior, so November 3rd. Plug that date into your favorite yeast calculator and it will tell you the percent viability. Looks like you made a starter, so assuming you're good to go.

Don't forget, the use by dates are printed by a company that gets paid by how much yeast they sell :)

+1. If it's beyond 4 months of manufacture, I'd definitely use a starter. Fresher than that I would be perfectly confident throwing it right in a reasonable gravity brew. It all comes down to storage temps along the way.

Well we are 4 days in to the fermenting process and on day one, about 4 hours after adding the yeast I had to remove the airlock and put a blow off tube in a bucket of water...it is still bubbling like mad now! OG was 1.062.

I checked viability on a yeast bay vial recently. It was within a week or two of use by, and still 90%+ viable (methylene blue tested).

Back