Is my smack pack still viable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A belated update: The yeast worked just fine, with most of the activity in the first five or six days. The gravity has been at 1.012 for about a week. Thanks for all the help and advice. I learned a lot!
Although pitching a good size starter never disappoints, it's good to hear the fermentation was successful!
Are you going to save (some of) the yeast for a next batch? I hope so, especially with modern day yeast pricing. Yowsers!

Not this time. I have so many things I need to dial in as a newb that I don’t need one more thing right now!!!
hmm... it's really simple.
  1. After racking the finished clear beer into a bottling bucket or keg, leave the yeast and trub behind on the bottom of the fermenter.
  2. You then swirl it up, into a homogeneous slurry, making sure all the yeast stuck to the bottom is brought into suspension.
  3. Then just pour some or all of the slurry into a few pint or quart size mason jars. Cap, label, and store in the fridge.
Use good sanitation of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back