WLP500 Dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Idiot

Reaction score
I’m in the process of brewing a Tripel, and it’s my first time using WLP500. I got the yeast from a reputable source, and it was well within date. I typically overbuild all yeasts, so made a starter.

The first thing I noticed was the slurry from the pouch was dark brown rather than creamy, a bit like very strong (but not black) coffee.

I was aware it would be a slow starter, and after 48 hours on the stir plate I’m seeing the first sign of life. However, it doesn’t have a yeasty smell, nor any hints of the fruitiness many say a WLP500 starter kicks off. If anything, it has a background hint of acetone.

I do have a back up packet of dried M47, but wanted to check if anyone had experience of this yeast before I go down that route. I know some yeasts can be darker, and have experienced a few that throw off weird chemical smells until they’re chugging along, but I also don’t want to lose the wort while it sits waiting for the starter to make up its mind!

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Last edited:
If it smells like acetone, that's ethyl acetate. That's what gives the beer the estery fruity taste. As long as it's mild, it should be OK. The stronger that smell gets, the more problematic. As the acetone smell gets stronger, you'll taste it more as the smell increases. At this point, I'd let it ride.

The first thing I noticed was the slurry from the pouch was dark brown rather than creamy, a bit like very strong (but not black) coffee.
That's not a good a bad sign. Did you take a picture of it?
Was that in a narrow sleeve (original "Perfect Pitch") or in one of those little baggies with a screw lid on it?
Was there any damage to the package or had it been previously opened, perhaps?
Or maybe it wasn't stored cold?

Where did you get it from?
Have you contacted your supplier for a replacement?

it has a background hint of acetone.
Another bad sign, something is off.
I probably wouldn't use it. Unless I could test it in a small 1/2 gallon batch first.

I do have a back up packet of dried M47
It will make a Belgian style beer, but probably not the Tripel you were looking for.
What is your target alcohol level? WLP500 is 10-15%.

If you want to brew soon, maybe use M31? That doesn't require a starter. But you probably need to pitch 2 packs in a 5 gallon batch, depending on gravity.

That's not a good a bad sign. Did you take a picture of it?
Was that in a narrow sleeve (original "Perfect Pitch") or in one of those little baggies with a screw lid on it?
Was there any damage to the package or had it been previously opened, perhaps?
Or maybe it wasn't stored cold?

Where did you get it from?
Have you contacted your supplier for a replacement?
The package was new and in date. It’s from a supplier I’ve used for years and never had an issue, and it came in a cold pack. I think it it doesn’t take off soon and show signs of being okay I’ll chalk it down to experience! 🤣

If it smells like acetone, that's ethyl acetate. That's what gives the beer the estery fruity taste. As long as it's mild, it should be OK. The stronger that smell gets, the more problematic. As the acetone smell gets stronger, you'll taste it more as the smell increases. At this point, I'd let it ride.
Makes sense. Thanks.

The fact that it took 48 hours to take off in a starter is a bad sign. It should have been ripping within 12-24 hours, especially that strain. In a pinch, a reasonable dry yeast substitute would be Lallemand Abbaye. Or you can use the M47 packet.

The fact that it took 48 hours to take off in a starter is a bad sign. It should have been ripping within 12-24 hours, especially that strain. In a pinch, a reasonable dry yeast substitute would be Lallemand Abbaye. Or you can use the M47 packet.
It’s been riding for 80 hours and has started to behave. I figure it’s now a learning curve, so I’m waiting to see how things map out. The acetone has diminished and if anything, it’s gone a bit funky, but I’ll let it run its course. If something weird has happened, it’s still making beer, so I guess I’ll leave it to its own devices.

it hasn’t been right, but that doesn’t mean it won’t do something surprising! 🤣🤣😛

Welcome. Nice handle.

I’m in the process of brewing a Tripel, and it’s my first time using WLP500. I got the yeast from a reputable source, and it was well within date. I typically overbuild all yeasts, so made a starter.

I was aware it would be a slow starter, and after 48 hours on the stir plate I’m seeing the first sign of life. However, it doesn’t have a yeasty smell, nor any hints of the fruitiness many say a WLP500 starter kicks off. If anything, it has a background hint of acetone.

I do have a back up packet of dried M47, but wanted to check if anyone had experience of this yeast before I go down that route. I know some yeasts can be darker, and have experienced a few that throw off weird chemical smells until they’re chugging along, but I also don’t want to lose the wort while it sits waiting for the starter to make up its mind!

Any advice gratefully accepted!

It’s been riding for 80 hours and has started to behave. I figure it’s now a learning curve, so I’m waiting to see how things map out. The acetone has diminished and if anything, it’s gone a bit funky, but I’ll let it run its course. If something weird has happened, it’s still making beer, so I guess I’ll leave it to its own devices.

it hasn’t been right, but that doesn’t mean it won’t do something surprising! 🤣🤣😛
The problem is a tripel needs a large healthy pitch to finish. There's nothing worse than an under-attenuated tripel, which characterizes many HB versions. Keep an eye on your attenuation and don't hesitate to add the M47 if it appears to stall.

The problem is a tripel needs a large healthy pitch to finish. There's nothing worse than an under-attenuated tripel, which characterizes many HB versions.
Exactly!

Keep an eye on your attenuation and don't hesitate to add the M47 if it appears to stall.
The only problem is that when the 500 stalls, it's a hostile environment for any yeast to establish herself in and finish it. Stalled fermentations are very difficult to resuscitate.

Thought I’d deliver an update on my sludge-coloured stinky WLP500. I figured I’d learn nothing by being cautious, so used the yeast anyway despite my inner gut feeling telling me not to.

I let it run for eight days at 68°F, and the blow-off tube delivered a steady but slow bubble. The krausen was minimal. After eight days, I raised the temperature to 70.7°F (yes, an odd temperature, but I work in °C) for another eight days, and then raised it again to 73.4°F. It’s been sat there for another eight days, and I need to keg it for aging in seven days time as I’m going away.

Today, curiosity got the better of me and decided to sneak a sample.

First thing I noticed was the stench of disease and acetone has gone. Not dismissed, but totally gone. The OG was 1.067 and I’m currently at 1.005, so that’s attenuation in the region of 92.2%. Taste-wise, it has enough phenolic sting to give it a good level of spiciness, rounded out with some nice dark fruit flavours. Given it has another week in primary, followed by an aging period to go, I think it ranks as the best Belgian I’ve made to date.

I did overbuild the yeast, despite all the warning signs, so I’ve got a good dose in the fridge. Now I just have to wait a month or two to see how it finally turns out.

Back