Best and easiest setup temperature controller dor keezer build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoshBrew

Reaction score
I guys I just bought a new freezer from lowes and am building a keezer with it. I'm trying to decide on temperature control options. Opinions on best one with easiest setup? Thanks guys.

I guys I just bought a new freezer from lowes and am building a keezer with it. I'm trying to decide on temperature control options. Opinions on best one with easiest setup? Thanks guys.

First: Digital.
Second: I can only speak to the Johnson A419, and the Control Products 2 Stage TC9201D.
I like the options on the CP controller better, but the A419 is easier to program in my opinion. Neither one has given me issues. The A419 has a better and longer included probe.
I like the CP because you can get a 2 stage for a nice price. Check around here for better wiring instructions though.
You probably don't need 2 stage unless you're keeping it outside/garage, but it's nice to have the option.
I can recommend either one as good units. I like them both.

Hi

How easy is easy?

If moving four wires (adding none) is easy then a STC-1000 off eBay is the cheap ($25 delivered) and easy solution. Mount it in the compartment with the compressor on your freezer and it's out of sight and well protected from the cats, dogs, and kids.

Bob

I'm looking at the Ranco It looks pretty easy. From what I can see you cut up an extension cord and wire it to the box. I'm assuming the freezer then plugs into the box then the box plugs into the wall.

The stc-1000 will also look better mounted if you want to see the temp. I might have to pick one up myself. Too many toys.

Hi

The question is - do you really want / need to see the temperature? For a fermentation chamber where you are fiddling it / ramping it all the time - sure. For a keezer where once it's set - it's boring to watch - hide it away.

Bob

No I don't need to see it, that is just the most common used one I see. The other thing I thought is it would be nice to have the option if I wanted to use it for fermentation also.

Hi

If you are going to do fermentation, you should look at some of the more complex controllers. The simple ones really don't do all the things you need / want to do.

Bob

Worksnorth I've looked at that one. My keezer would just plug into that and then that into the wall correct?

Back