Before I do this....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SowegaBrews

Reaction score
I will be transferring from a 10 day old extract brew from the primary to an open keg to be used as a secondary (I need to use the carboy for another beer). At first I was thinking no big deal... but I have no way to use an airlock other than bleeding the pressure a couple times a day. Will the pressure inhibit anything?

Also, should I leave the keg at regular temps or go ahead and throw it on into the keggerator at 42* for a couple weeks? I was thinking leave it at regular temps for another week or two, then put it into the fridge for a cold crash and carbonation.

HAALLP!! I have about a gallon of homebrew total left in my keggerator! I need to get the pipeline filled quick!

Sencondaries *shouldn't* generate too much pressure, assuming your fermentation is complete (only a hydrometer meter can determine that). You could also cover the keg with sanitized foil to let the possible pressure out and keep the baddies away. Thats what I do (I have unusual carboys and haven't bothered finding stoppers that fit them).

Ditto, Burp it every once in a while but if your fermentation isn't done, don't transfer. This needs check with a Hydrometer. If it is done, transfer and you'll have a minimal amount of CO2 come out of solution but no need for an airlock.

Is this the serving keg or just a secondary?
Hit it with 30psi to seal the lid and burp to remove any O2 from racking, then you can either sit it warm to age (depending on the beer), or go ahead and put it in your fridge hooked to your serving pressure and wait for carbing. It will still age, just not as quickly at room temperature.

No prob sending it to keg from primary. Just don't be surprised when your first pint has sludge in it as you may get some sediment if it is not quite done fermenting.

i'll probably taste it when i take a hydrometer sample and see if it needs aging or if it can go to the fridge.

thanks for the info guys! :mug:

I just tested it, it was at 1.008... so I would call that done. It's surprisingly clear and tasty. Just gonna throw it in the fridge and let it carb.

10 days from brew to keg? seems quick to me?

Thanks again!

It is quick, but remember you're not really saving any time, you're just using the final vessel as a secondary. That beer will likely take a month or more to mellow out and get past the green stage, even though it's carbed.

It is quick, but remember you're not really saving any time, you're just using the final vessel as a secondary. That beer will likely take a month or more to mellow out and get past the green stage, even though it's carbed.

Normally I would agree with you, but I just drank a glass uncarbed and warm... This will likely be gone before that month you speak of... :tank:

Normally I would agree with you, but I just drank a glass uncarbed and warm... This will likely be gone before that month you speak of... :tank:
Is this your first brew? Firsts are usually drank green from excitement. Drink up if it's good, but save a gallon to drink in a month or so so you can kick yourself for not waiting:) It may be "good" now, but not as good as it WILL be most likely.

Is this your first brew? Firsts are usually drank green from excitement. Drink up if it's good, but save a gallon to drink in a month or so so you can kick yourself for not waiting:) It may be "good" now, but not as good as it WILL be most likely.

I think this is batch 9 or 10. I brew it to drink it my friend. If it tastes good to me... I'll drink it now. I'm fairly certain by the time this batch is gone I'll have another just as tasty to satisfy my taste buds.

Cheers and thanks! :mug:

Back