Fermentation duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTT

Reaction score
Hi Brewers

So I know this has been discussed on many forums.
Why do the tins / packets say fermentation takes 5 days / 6

But most people on the forums leave it for a couple weeks?

Another question,
I’m making a ginger beer using brown & raw sugar
Iv deviated from the Morgon’s pack and followed a recipe
The recipe says ferment for 14 days
Pack says 6 days ?

Is it because brown sugar takes longer to ferment?
Also noticed the temperature is low in the recipe 17

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6346.png
    IMG_6346.png
    585.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6447.jpeg
    IMG_6447.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 0
I have never made ginger beer, but I can tell you that yeast doesn't always do exactly what you expect, and you are less likely to have problems if you give it extra time to do its thing. More time generally won't hurt whatever you're brewing, but too little time can.

Are you checking your gravity so you know when you're done?

I have never made ginger beer, but I can tell you that yeast doesn't always do exactly what you expect, and you are less likely to have problems if you give it extra time to do its thing. More time generally won't hurt whatever you're brewing, but too little time can.

Are you checking your gravity so you know when you're done?
Yeah I’m at 1000 now. but it was still bubbling in the air lock yesterday (day 6)
So I’m letting sit for longer

My original was 1022 however don’t know if accurate as I only realised after the glass is cracked so don’t know if it’s still accurate
Got a new one yesterday

Often homebrewers romanticize the notion of letting the beer take its time, but if you pitch a healthy amount of yeast it can be finished in a few days. Taking gravity readings is critical to ensure fermentation is finished before packaging especially if bottling.

Another reason many homebrewers (my self included) leave beer in the fermenter longer than the minimum time needed is that it's easier with work schedules.

Last edited:
When I read the instructions it says do not pitch if above 18-22.
To me it suggests you can pitch in that range but not warmer.
Yeast ferments simple sugars fast and malt extract.
But waiting a few more days won't do any harm, but if the gravity is stable for a few days then it's done.

Yeah I’m at 1000 now. but it was still bubbling in the air lock yesterday (day 6)
So I’m letting sit for longer

My original was 1022 however don’t know if accurate as I only realised after the glass is cracked so don’t know if it’s still accurate
Got a new one yesterday

I've brewed a couple of ciders which I'd imagine would be similar to a ginger beer?I've had one or two go below 1.000 so let it ride for a couple of days and check again with your new hydrometer. If its still at 1.000 then fermentation is done.

Why do the tins / packets say fermentation takes 5 days / 6

But most people on the forums leave it for a couple weeks?

Fermentation for us is only the creation of alcohol and CO2 by the yeast. They only do this in one phase of different cycles they go through while active.

Yeast don't simply quit doing things once the fermentation is over. They are busy cleaning up off flavors and aromas they may have made during fermentation along with some other things.

Your 5 days for fermentation is a little long, but a safe number. My fermentations have been over and done in less than 3 days with most any of the normal ale yeasts I've used. However I'd never take a beer out of the fermenter when fermentation is over.

I've never had a bad beer from leaving beer in the FV. But I have had bad beer when I rushed it out of the FV, even when fermentation had been over and done with several days ago.

So 2 weeks is a good number of days. However in some cases, I've found six weeks in the FV to be even better.

Don't be in a hurry if you want good beer. And remember that fermentation is not the only thing that goes on in the fermenter.

Last edited:
With on OG of 1.022 fermenting to 1.000 the ferment will be fast especially with simple sugars.
Check the gravity and a week will be fine I'd reckon for your ginger beer.
My tafelbier at 1.022 starting was basically fermented in 24 hours with a decent pitch of WLP530. But I left it a week.

Fermentation for us is only the creation of alcohol and CO2 by the yeast. They only do this in one phase of different cycles they go through while active.

Yeast don't simply quit doing things once the fermentation is over. They are busy cleaning up off flavors and aromas they may have made during fermentation along with some other things.

Your 5 days for fermentation is a little long, but a safe number. My fermentations have been over and done in less than 3 days with most any of the normal ale yeasts I've used. However I'd never take a beer out of the fermenter when fermentation is over.

I've never had a bad beer from leaving beer in the FV. But I have had bad beer when I rushed it out of the FV, even when fermentation had been over and done with several days ago.

So 2 weeks is a good number of days. However in some cases, I've found six weeks in the FV to be even better.

Don't be in a hurry if you want good beer. And remember that fermentation is not the only thing that goes on in the fermenter.
Thank you, makes sense. I’ll let it ride

Back