Beer very bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks8686

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bottled a bavarian hefeweizen on 6\16 it carbed within a couple days of that and tasted pretty good. I drank a few and left the others to finish. Cracked one open last night and it mad a popping sound when I opened it and tasted very bitter, not good at all. It didn't taste hoppy bitter just bitter. It has been sitting at room temp since I bottled it.

What was your recipe? How much priming sugar did you use, and how much total beer did you collect for bottling?

little under 5oz of priming sugar. It was a extract kit from nothern brewer. It sat in the primary for 10 days then bottled. I had 5 gals 12 22oz and 48 12oz. it so strange last week it tasted great. it has great carb and is good and clear.

Is it possible that that bottle had some sort of infection? That it tasted good, then got worse, is very odd, and that it "made a mad popping sound" makes it sound like something else was going on in that bottle, since you didn't add too much priming sugar or anything.

It also carbed in just a few days? I wonder if it was actually done. Did you take OG and FG readings, and were the FG readings taken twice over 3 days to make sure gravity was stable?

a room temp bottle conditioned hefe was clear in less than month?

Anyway, i'd guess the bottle was dirty.

I think that it might just be an over carbonation issue. The carbonation makes it taste more bitter if there is too much of it. Open another bottle and see if it tastes the same. If so, try pouring it vigorously to get a lot of foam then let the foam fall and taste it.

EDIT: I am fairly certain if it was tannins that you would have tasted it the first time around.

I second what WayFrae said. Remember, dissolved CO2 leads to carbonic acid. And I think (a more chemistry minded person can correct me) more dissolved CO2 = more carbonic acid.

Thanks for the help guys. It is definitely very carbonated. Should I go ahead and stick it all in the fridge and see if that helps.

I would continue trying them. If this was the only bad bottle, the bottle was infected. If the whole batch is going bad, it may be an infection that occurred at bottling.

Thanks for the help guys. It is definitely very carbonated. Should I go ahead and stick it all in the fridge and see if that helps.

I don't think sticking them in the fridge will help really. I have heard of guys popping the caps off all of them to release the pressure and recapping. I have never done this but it seems like it should work to slightly lower the carbonation level.

Back