beer became cloudier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
my beer had been kegged nearly a month and became cloudier suddenly at the month mark vs. the two week mark.

Also coincident with the cloudiness, the beer became flat as well, although i have no reason to think the two are related.

The only other relevant information is that the beer sat unhooked from the gas for about a week in the fridge just before i noticed this interesting phenomenon.

so has anyone had their beer become more cloudy over time (also, and this could be purely my imagination, it doesn't seem to taste as good)?

could it have otten contaminated? that would be my guess- some bug got in there. I resanitize the liquid out and gas in every time i disconect/reconnect them

my beer had been kegged nearly a month and became cloudier suddenly at the month mark vs. the two week mark.

Also coincident with the cloudiness, the beer became flat as well, although i have no reason to think the two are related.

The only other relevant information is that the beer sat unhooked from the gas for about a week in the fridge just before i noticed this interesting phenomenon.

so has anyone had their beer become more cloudy over time (also, and this could be purely my imagination, it doesn't seem to taste as good)?

Could it be chill haze? It could be yeast that has settled to the bottom of the keg, after the first pint or so it should go away.

Probably obvious, but if you beer was carbonated and you left the gas unhooked for a week, and now it's flat, you probably have a leak in your gas in post. If that's the case, the positive pressure of the gas pushing out should have prevented anything from getting in. As long as you sanitized everything before you put the beer in, contamination (from from the 2 -> 4 week period) probably isn't much of a concern.

When you say it "doesn't taste as good", could you describe why? IMO, flat beer will taste different than carbonated beer. Is it something where the hops flavor/aroma isn't as strong, or is it like someone added peanut butter to it?

I would say the beer tastes slightly drier, verging on sourish-yeasty, but very slight at that.

and i don't think my problem is chill haze, unless that is something which can increase over time.

I am interested in the suggestion that my in/out connections could have introduced something into the beer. I do tend to change the back and forth between kegs, and i never bother to sanitize them between switches. But could anyone estimate how likely that really would be especially when the keg is in the fridge. And would an infection be a possible explanation for the cloudiness?

thanks for the replies

Back