Banana beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stronk

Reaction score
Every few years, someone decides to create a banana beer and people respond saying either "Urgh, why would you do that?" or "Wow, that sounds fantastic!".

Summarising the earlier discussions:
  • Wells brewery in the UK makes a beer called Banana Bread Beer. It's a fairly sweet and inoffensive amber ale with low hop presence and a banana tang. Sold in clear bottles, filtered and/or pasteurised. If you find some, wait for it to warm up before drinking. They produce this using some bananas in the mash and then banana extract/flavouring after/during conditioning.
  • Hefeweizens and a few Belgian styles sometimes have a banana-like aroma. This is from a preponderance of isoamyl acetate ester produced by the (different) yeasts that are used in these beers, and from treating the yeast in just the right (or wrong!) way during fermentation to favour this flavour compound over others. People have recommended fermenting warmer for more banana flavour and to under-pitch.
  • German pubs sometimes sell hefeweizens that have banana juice or puree added when they are served. I consider this cheating.
  • I've come across one or two other banana beers (once at a brewpub in Prague). These seem to be made with banana essence/flavouring, but what do I know?
  • There are also banana wines (and it's not totally uncommon to include a bit of banana in other wines to give them body). These range from the traditional East African banana wine, which is spontaneously fermented (some grain is added 'to aid fermentation', presumably because it contains a particular type of wild saccaromyces yeast... but that's just a guess) to more cautious homebrew versions that are pasteurised by boiling or using sulphite and fermented with selected yeast.
I've decided to experiment with making a banana beer. The first step for me is to be able to imitate Wells Banana Bread Beer so I can dial in the ingredients and technique for a refined banana flavour.

I brewed the following recipe last week and have just added additional bananas to the primary fermenter a week after fermentation kicked off.

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Strong Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 18 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 21.8 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.047
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.58%
IBU (tinseth): 23.01
SRM (morey): 9.39

FERMENTABLES:
2.8 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (59.6%)
0.5 kg - German - Munich Light (10.6%)
0.4 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 45L (8.5%)
1 kg - Ripe bananas, peeled, pureed (21.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.4, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.89
20 g - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.4, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.12

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 66 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 18.4 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 79 C, Time: 10 min, Amount: 5 L, Batch sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 kg - Bananas, pureed, skins on, Time: 2 weeks, Use: Primary after 1 week of fermentation

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - Bavarian Wheat Yeast M20
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 15 - 30 C
Fermentation Temp: 25 C
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

This will be stronger than indicated in the recipe. I used 5 PPG as a custom ingredient on the basis of a research paper I found. Others report it's more like 12 PPG. I also haven't included the secondary bananas in the OG calculations. But even 12 PPG is a third of the gravity contribution that you get from the same weight of grain (possibly due to all the water that bananas contain), so it won't be wildly stronger than anticipated.

The yeast strain I chose because it has good tolerance for high temperature (I'm controlling temp at 25C, reducing to 23C after a week and then reducing to around 10-12C to cold condition for another 2-3 weeks). It's also a hefe strain, which I was hoping would emphasise bananas without me needing to add more.

So far the banana flavour from the banana in the mash is very very limited (as you might expect, given the wort was then boiled for an hour), but present as a subtle sour tang and mouthfeel. Oddly, banana aroma from the yeast is pretty much absent. The beer tastes very much like a sweetish hefeweizen. I'm hoping that this will die down as the yeast drops out (very cloudy still, as it's only just coming to the end of primary and the yeast is a low flocculating strain). The overall impression of the beer at the moment is not hugely pleasant (combination of yeast, a higher than usual hop impression for a hefe, and some sulphur that hasn't yet died down) but it's only a week old and still fermenting so I'll give it a break!

To add the further 1kg of bananas, I ripened them until the skin started splitting and they had little black spots (but still in the kind of state where you might happily eat them, not to the black and oozing stage), cut them skins-on and blended them to a puree, sealed the puree in a freezer/ziplock bag and immersed in gently boiling water for about an hour to pasteurise and perhaps convert some more of the starch to sugars, then cooled and carefully emptied into the beer in the primary fermenter, stirring gently with a whisk to break up the lumps.

I'll post a few updates as the batch progresses. I intend to transfer to secondary in another week to try to filter out what I'm sure will be a very messy selection of floating banana bits and sunken yeast cake. Then I'll cold condition for a couple of weeks to try to get some of that yeast to fall out. If I had finings I would use them.

If it all goes banana-shaped, I'll try again using bananas in the mash but using banana extract instead (in the UK the brand that's easily available online is called Foodie Flavours). This should be pretty straightforward as the bananas really didn't affect the lautering process for me. In comparison to more fibrous additives (I'm looking at you, pumpkin!), it was a dream.

PS: among the many previous threads on HBT about this is this interesting one about mash schedules specifically tuned to increase ester precursors. I'm using BIAB at the moment (Grainfather at friend's house) so not confident in the level of control I could get over mash temperatures. Might use the suggested mash schedule to create a true hefeweizen next time I have access to fine temperature control in the mash.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ve-banana-aroma-may-june-2010-zymurgy.174599/

I spent much of last summer trying to not have a banana tasting IPA ...

Yeah, not sure I'd want banana and hops together. What was causing it, do you think? What mash schedule, malts, yeast and fermenting temp were you using while getting banana?

I am definitely doing this the wrong way around. Should be brewing lager and other delicate beers in winter and fruity stuff in summer, really. I don't own a brewing fridge, so have to use a heater.

it was ferment temp - I've got an old fridge now with just enough room to put a carboy and blowoff in - at lowest setting it's 17C - it's really worked out well

An update on this, for anyone seeking information in future (not much interest in this currently, it seems).

The recipe I posted above - which included bananas in the mash (20%) and in secondary (1kg in 17.5 litres) - worked out lighter in flavour than I had hoped. I was hoping for a reasonably sweet malty base beer to complement the banana fruitiness. The beer certainly had banana flavour and aroma, but the aroma was very subtle. The flavour had some banana-like sourness and mouthfeel. It tasted a bit like I had used unripe bananas, as the sweetness and ripe aroma weren't where I wanted them to be but the rest of the banana flavour characteristics were there. Others liked the beer, but I didn't.

I've just started brewing a mark 2 banana beer, tweaking the above. I decided to keep the mash bananas in (for the flavour contributions noted above, which I think were about right) but skip the secondary bananas. Two reasons: 1. I'm not sure they added very much, 2. Both sanitising and then the secondary fermentation itself probably removed a lot of aroma. Changes:

- No bananas in secondary
- Adding banana flavouring (Foodie Flavours brand) while conditioning. I will experiment with this. Bottle suggests adding 1ml 'per kg of food'. Taken literally this would be 1ml for per litre of beer. I've tried 0.3ml per litre in plain water and this is about as high as I'm willing to go for starters. It's quite chemical in character with nothing else balancing it out in the aroma profile. I'll add it at 0.3ml per litre and taste test, then add more if needed. Notably: it strongly increased the perceived sweetness of the water.
- Swapped out the weizen yeast for plain old S-04 (two packets due to the higher ABV and because I'm not making a starter). The weizen character was all wrong for the base beer. I want a fruity and less attenuated beer without that dry sour bite from weizen yeast. I will deal with the banana aroma without help from the yeast.
- Swapped the hops for saaz because I've changed the base malts to be more aligned with a malty german lager. The hops didn't really feature in the aroma or flavour of the previous beer and will be even lighter in this one. I wanted something a bit more punchy than EKG to make itself known even with low IBUs.
- Big changes in the malt base. I've selected maltier grains and am aiming for a more grainy taste (addition of melanoidin should help this? Not really sure about the effect of this grain). Have reduced and lightened crystal slightly to avoid overwhelming with this new more characterful grain bill.
- BU:GU ratio of 0.39 compared to 0.49 in the previous iteration. Beginning to think that might have been a mistake as the banana flavouring will increase perceived sweetness and I might have been better off with a more balanced beer.
- ABV up to 5.6ish from 4.6ish, hoping for more residual sugars.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Banana beer mark 2
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Best Bitter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 18 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 20 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.052
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.058
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.64%
IBU (tinseth): 22.49
SRM (morey): 8.54

FERMENTABLES:
1.35 kg - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (24.4%)
1.35 kg - German - Munich Light (24.4%)
1.35 kg - German - Vienna (24.4%)
0.185 kg - German - Melanoidin (3.3%)
1 kg - Banana (18.1%)
0.3 kg - United Kingdom - Cara Malt (5.4%)

HOPS:
35 g - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 14.09
42 g - Saaz, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 3.2, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.39

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
5.4ml Foodie Flavours Banana Natural Flavouring

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 20.6 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 78 C, Time: 10 min, Amount: 5 L

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Light colored and malty
Ca2: 60
Mg2: 5
Na: 10
Cl: 95
SO4: 55
HCO3: 0

Any comments on the above very welcome. Am I likely to get the base beer character I'm looking for (sweetish, malty, grainy, pale amber, with a slight hop tang) from this recipe? I'll post again to say how it went.

German pubs sometimes sell hefeweizens that have banana juice or puree added when they are served. I consider this cheating.
What you are referring to is called Bananaweizen, typically sold as a beverage to accompany the traditional Bavarian breakfast of Weißwurst, soft brezel, and sweet whole-grain mustard. It is one of several beer cocktails that are common in Germany as lower-alcohol alternatives to straight beer in observance of the conventional wisdom 'Kein Bier vor Vier' or, 'No beer before four', similar to the common American belief that consuming alcohol before 5pm is crass.

Typically, the glass is filled 1/3-1/2 with banana juice (bananas pureed with water) and topped up with Hefeweizen. Beyond breakfast hours it is also a popular beginner's intro to beer drinking in general and is quite commonly ordered on one's 16th birthday as their first legal alcoholic beverage. Older folks, lunchtime crowds, and fitness junkies also enjoy it.

I've been gazing at the five withering parsnips and the browning bananas in my fruit bowl for a while....

Today I'd made a Blue moon clone here. The spent grains from it still tasted quite sweet, so I decided they might still have enough enzyme to work on the parsnips. So here we go:- I am aiming for a lightly banana nuanced beer with a hint of bready, biscuity, nuttiness and a citrus twang to offset any cloying qualities of the banana. It's a total guesstimate.

Used the grist from the blue moon clone.
187g ancient withering parsnips - thinly sliced and boiled separately for 15 mins in 0.5L water until soft, then added to the mash
191g flaked rice (to use it up)
36g Flaked maize (to use it up)
253g Munich (read that it was not very enzymic on it's own as a base hence the use of the spent grist)
51g Biscuit malt (to enhance the parsnip nuttiness)
30g British caramalt (to add caramel to the bananas)
579g Three and a half blackening bananas finely chopped with skins on @60'
3.2g Mongrel hops @60' (gathered wildings)
2.5g Saaz hop pellets @10'
35g Lemon rinds that had been left in granulated sugar @10' (I preserve them for cooking that way)
Irish Moss @10'

Pre boil SG without bananas/lemons 1.032 - post boil SG 1.050
Mashed at 64*c ishy ish. (I couldn't keep the temp up to 66*c on this one)

Windsor yeast because I read it had banana nuances. It worked straight away but has stopped again. There is a huge amount of sediment in this as expected from the bananas. The protein break wasn't as apparent either. I'm not too bothered because with wines, bananas clear very quickly with champagne yeast, but I don't know if they will with beer yeast. If it hasn't set off again by the morning then I'll put more yeast in. I might anyway.

I have quite high hopes for this with what I know about parsnips and bananas from winemaking... but I could be very wrong as I am totally ignorant about grains. We'll see what happens...

Parsnips? why would you want that flavor in your beer? To me they taste like an albino carrot's lousy attempt at puttin' on airs. Are you hoping they will cover up the 'cloying' banana flavor? Bananas are awesome! I'm all for "pantry-sweep" recipes, but ditch the ancient parsnips.

Sorry, just my humble opinion.

Otherwise your recipe looks solid, and I love the mongrel hops and candied lemon peel.

I stand in firm defence for this understated vegetable. Everything has a best use. Parsnips, when fermented, are nothing like the pallid overcooked worms often found on a Sunday platter. They make one of the very best country wines. Right up there with the humble dandelion. They are both capable of a rather elegant Chablis-esque wine. To make the very best wine from them, they must be the older, dry and hoary ones that have seen a frost or few. No good by then for anyones dinner, but a treasure to the country winemaker. These shrivelled ones are much better for their matured starch to sugars ratio than new parsnips. Especially when the grain amylase could get to work on the starches. You do have to separately boil off some undesirables though for wines.

Bananas are excellent for clearing country wines but their smell is persuasive and can be said to be cloying in a sweet dessert wine. I like it too though.

Their fermented flavour has a nutty element to it and it should balance out the bananas richness, with the lemons adding the edge.

That is the theory...... and we'll see.

What you didn't see was that I'd made a Christmas beer with brussels sprouts!!!! It was interesting....... I am not afraid

brussel sprout beer.jpg

And here it is....

Last edited:
I stand in firm defence for this understated vegetable. Everything has a best use. Parsnips, when fermented, are nothing like the pallid overcooked worms often found on a Sunday platter. They make one of the very best country wines. Right up there with the humble dandelion. They are both capable of a rather elegant Chablis-esque wine. To make the very best wine from them, they must be the older, dry and hoary ones that have seen a frost or few. No good by then for anyones dinner, but a treasure to the country winemaker. These shrivelled ones are much better for their matured starch to sugars ratio than new parsnips. Especially when the grain amylase could get to work on the starches. You do have to separately boil off some undesirables though for wines.

Bananas are excellent for clearing country wines but their smell is persuasive and can be said to be cloying in a sweet dessert wine. I like it too though.

Their fermented flavour has a nutty element to it and it should balance out the bananas richness, with the lemons adding the edge.

That is the theory...... and we'll see.

What you didn't see was that I'd made a Christmas beer with brussels sprouts!!!! It was interesting....... I am not afraid

View attachment 670334
And here it is....
Disgustingly interesting! Brussel sprouts in a beer.... How is it?

I had a mind to make some alternative Christmas beers. No idea why... but as hops are bitter... as are brussels sprouts, and I hate Brussells sprouts so wasn't going to eat them. The idea just wouldn't go away so I just did it. It was only about half a sprout per bottle effectively so not dominant really. They actually weren't bad but we tried them too early so I'll have to do it again.... It was a semi joke really for my fellow club members.

Hence owning and eyeballing the withering parsnips. It was the second lot I'd specifically bought for this purpose.

I thought that might be a fast ferment because bananas go completely crazy in wine, so I covered it in towels while I went out for the day. I expected a bit of a Krausen mess when I got back today... but no. It had already finished 24 hours later. Flip me. The fastest ferment ever. That video was taken only a couple of hours after the yeast was added in the late afternoon.

Only one day now, and it's already settled. Gives another meaning to gone bananas.

IMG_9689.JPG

Last edited:
I had a mind to make some alternative Christmas beers. No idea why... but as hops are bitter... as are brussels sprouts, and I hate Brussells sprouts so wasn't going to eat them. The idea just wouldn't go away so I just did it. It was only about half a sprout per bottle effectively so not dominant really. They actually weren't bad but we tried them too early so I'll have to do it again.... It was a semi joke really for my fellow club members.

Hence owning and eyeballing the withering parsnips. It was the second lot I'd specifically bought for this purpose.
Brussels sprouts for bittering? Aw c'mon now, you gotta be pulling our legs.

I cooked something with beetroots yesterday and could totally imagine some brews really benefitting from their earthiness. Have you ever tried that?

The colour is obviously also a huge plus.

Thank you.. beetroot is definitely now on the list... as is turmeric. Think of the colour possibilities and the subtle flavour hints that could be achieved. I reckon all veggie brews will still need balancing with something like bananas for some body, or at least they would in wines. Grain isn't a medium I am experienced in yet, and is another beast for body variations.

Brussels sprouts for bittering? Aw c'mon now, you gotta be pulling our legs.

I make tons of country wines using all sorts of vegetables and fruit so I was only semi joking when I thought of sprouts in a beer, but the idea just wouldn't go, so I really did it. I have witnesses in the beer club, albeit it was presented as a mystery beer to guess the ingredient. I presented it a bit early and they weren't really carbonated enough to get the best reception. It also didn't give it time to let the 'aroma de sprout' develop nicely.

That is the fun of beer making after wines, as it is so very fast to get results by comparison.

So it'll have to be made again.... just coz...

Thank you.. beetroot is definitely now on the list... as is turmeric. Think of the colour possibilities and the subtle flavour hints that could be achieved. I reckon all veggie brews will still need balancing with something like bananas for some body, or at least they would in wines. Grain isn't a medium I am experienced in yet, and is another beast for body variations.

I make tons of country wines using all sorts of vegetables and fruit so I was only semi joking when I thought of sprouts in a beer, but the idea just wouldn't go, so I really did it. I have witnesses in the beer club, albeit it was presented as a mystery beer to guess the ingredient. I presented it a bit early and they weren't really carbonated enough to get the best reception. It also didn't give it time to let the 'aroma de sprout' develop nicely.

That is the fun of beer making after wines, as it is so very fast to get results by comparison.

So it'll have to be made again.... just coz...
I cook a lot of Sherpa (Nepali) food, and there's a lot of tumeric in many of the dishes. I cannot believe that I have not thought about brewing with it. Same about beetroots. I fermented them a thousand times, but only for vegetable reasons. The colour of beetroots is stable, even when things get acidic. A small beetroot can colour and flavor 2l of water, if given enough time. I made a probiotic, wild fermentation beetroot drink called kvas several times, that's how I know. The colour is really really dark red, it's intense. So I guess, maybe even in very small amounts, beetroots could be good to bring in some colour, even if the earthiness wouldn't show up at that amount.

Not talking about tumeric.... This stuff is just potent (looking at my yellow fingernails from yesterday's cooking).

I don't know flavourwise though... There surely would be some good combinations, I just f don't know them. Maybe a sweet tumeric mead? Maybe a hint of black pepper would suit the tumeric? ...... I don't know. Or maybe a tumeric ginger mead? That could probably work.

Last edited:
Turmeric and ginger in banana beer would be fantastic....

Beetroot, lemon and banana.....

Cardomom, black pepper and banana....

Ooooh yes. I'll be ordering a larger bag of base grain.

Went shopping today and bought us all some nice things to tinker with......

View attachment 670588
Niiiiice!

Btw. I Just recently got what your name actually means, when you wrote something about your husband. I always read it like "Mumat" (weird Arabic name to my eyes) homebrew before that. :D

Let us know how this one goes!

The beets have been soaking for an hour.... I'm going to do it.... Going to make two beetroot beers.

Just deliberating what beer styles might hold up to a beets earthiness. The first one will be mashed with a litre of red beet soak water as a light version. Then I'm boiling the beets to get a stronger second batch. Bear in mind I'm only making single gallon demis so a 4L batch each time.

I thought a light grain bill for the first just using the beet as a colour and nuance. Just a lawnmower beer sort of style. Maybe an Irish red for the stronger second.

Any suggestions listened to. I'm doing it now so feel free to take the mick.

The beets have been soaking for an hour.... I'm going to do it.... Going to make two beetroot beers.

Just deliberating what beer styles might hold up to a beets earthiness. The first one will be mashed with a litre of red beet soak water as a light version. Then I'm boiling the beets to get a stronger second batch. Bear in mind I'm only making single gallon demis so a 4L batch each time.

I thought a light grain bill for the first just using the beet as a colour and nuance. Just a lawnmower beer sort of style. Maybe an Irish red for the stronger second.

Any suggestions listened to. I'm doing it now so feel free to take the mick.
A nutbrown might fit, but that one wouldn't suit the colour the best way.

Beetroot beer 1 - Soaked the beets for one hour in a litre of water. The colour seeped out of the beets very well and it was a beautiful clear tone of ruby. I put this in with a light mash for a golden ale.

Our thermometer broke last time, and we're not allowed out to get another, so our beer has turned truly kitchen sink style in execution. The mash was done with the 1 litre of beet water plus 2 of ordinary water, at fingertip slight scald degrees C for about as long as it took to do some gardening hour-ishy-ish. Then sieved and the sparge done as a sort of re-mash using 2 litres for a longer gardeningish hour. Then a third sparge with 1 litre.

The Hops were 4.9g Mongrels @60' and 4.5g Fuggles @10' with Irish moss @10'. I chose the fuggles to go with the earthiness of the beet and the mongrels because they seem gentle on the bittering but have a quite soft floral quality. Used the dregs from Lizzies lager that had Notti as yeast.

Forgot to take the pre-boil SG and the post boil SG so a true kitchen sink beer. It will be as it will be... but it's fermenting this morning. So it doesn't seem to mind if I did, or didn't, take any measurements.

The colour might have been affected by the mash enzymes because it isn't a red colour but it may re-emerge after ferment.

thumbnail-1.jpeg

Then boiled the sliced beets in another 1 litre of water to cook them. The cooked slices are now residing in a jar of home-made cider vinegar (failed cider) mixed with onion slices. Smells yummy. The resulting boil water is a truly deep ruby and smells sweet, so I will remember to measure its SG and then add that to the end of the boil and not in the mash for beetroot beer 2.

I'll have a look at a nutbrown recipe. I've never heard of it. The other beer I was thinking would be strong enough to support a rich earthiness might be a Belgian Saison or dubble.

Last edited:
I'm astonished at how sweet a beet is. The liquid registers 1.018, using 1 Litre of water boiled for approx 30 mins with the beets pictured above that had been left to get slightly wrinkled.

thumbnail.jpeg

(sorry stronk, I've really swamped your banana thread with vegetables. I hope you don't mind. It's all in the cause of beer)

I'm astonished at how sweet a beet is. The liquid registers 1.018, using 1 Litre of water boiled for approx 30 mins with the beets pictured above that had been left to get slightly wrinkled.

View attachment 673604

(sorry stronk, I've really swamped your banana thread with vegetables. I hope you don't mind. It's all in the cause of beer)

That really looks interesting to me. Maybe it is worth a thread on its own? I would love to read more about the outcome.

I'll be doing bananas too, so if Stronk doesn't object then we can stay here.

Run into a rather essential problem of not having a saison yeast whilst under lockdown. So as I've already begun, then I shall ferment this with Windsor to try for it's bananery esters, then add the fruity and peppery nuances with hop styles and physical additions. Then will finish off the dryness using a wine yeast, either 71B or V1116. It'll still make a beer but not a proper saison. I shall have to order in a speciality yeast and do it all over again. I could freeze some of the beetroot juice I suppose. I'm trying to scrounge some trappist or Belgian yeast from a friend who brews nearby.

I'll be doing bananas too, so if Stronk doesn't object then we can stay here.

Run into a rather essential problem of not having a saison yeast whilst under lockdown. So as I've already begun, then I shall ferment this with Windsor to try for it's bananery esters, then add the fruity and peppery nuances with hop styles and physical additions. Then will finish off the dryness using a wine yeast, either 71B or V1116. It'll still make a beer but not a proper saison. I shall have to order in a speciality yeast and do it all over again. I could freeze some of the beetroot juice I suppose. I'm trying to scrounge some trappist or Belgian yeast from a friend who brews nearby.
No. Wine yeast does not ferment longer sugars, so it wouldn't do anything. You can order from crossmyloof on Amazon the yeast "lill saison" which is belle saison repacked for cheap. Shipping is something like 50p . I ordered quite a bit from them when I was living in the UK.

Thank you. I will hold fire and freeze some of the juice for the moment till I get the right yeast. It'll be a nut red brown for the minute whist in beer-making mode.

All of the home-brew and ebay sellers are under lockdown here. It's make with what you have.

I clicked on about six from ebay and they all said the seller was away so I assumed wrongly that it must be current ebay policy. I'll try again. Crossmyloof and Maltmiller have temporarily closed the order books from overloading. However, not to be undone, I had to go food shopping anyway and found two beers that maybe can be yeast harvested from. I expect there is a thread here for that sort of question.

thumbnail.jpeg

Beer Yeasts:-
Windsor, S04, Youngs ale yeast, seconds of Notti in trub

Wine yeasts:-
Lalvin 71B, RC212 Bourgovin, D47, EC1118
Youngs Bordeaux red, Cider

Last edited:
Home brew shop online is closed too. We'll enjoy trying these beers anyway. It was a random choice from what our local corner shop had to offer, so never mind. We just might be able to scrounge some yeast from an employee of my husband whom I know does brewing. This beer style can wait. We'll make a mock saison-esque using what we have, and then do it again to compare when we can get the real thing.

Thread on hoegaarden harvesting here

Last edited:
@prog99 Flipping love you. I just bought a lille saison yeast on their ebay site. There was only one there. I'll share if anyone else needs some too.

Back