Back to Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back to brewing! When the covid regulations came out in Chicago, we had to shut down the shared CHAOS brewhouse. I brewed one beer at home, stove top, with Kveik and we're drinking that now - a nice, tropical IPA that has the soft rounded malt and hop aromas and flavor of a NEIPA but with just a touch more bitterness.

Anywhooooo ..... Today I'm back in the brewhouse. Limited to two people at a time, must wear a mask, additional cleaning regimen including spraying a bleach solution when I'm done.

Brewing a new-to-me style, a Pre-Prohibition Lager. Using 30% flaked maize, and aiming for the top of the style's OG and bitterness. Using Cluster and Mt. Hood hops.

Pitching three packs of S-189, plan to ferment at 50F for two weeks, then 65 for five days, then cold-crash and lager at 34F for a week. Keg and carb.

If I like how fermentation went, I'll save the yeast cake and use it for another lager, maybe an Int'l Amber.

IMG_20200620_095325645.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, you're the would-be proctor of the BJCP exam that was scheduled for May. (Not a stalker, figured it out through your website.) Good to see you're well and back to brewing, looks fun!

If I'm not mistaken, you're the would-be proctor of the BJCP exam that was scheduled for May. (Not a stalker, figured it out through your website.) Good to see you're well and back to brewing, looks fun!

Yes, I was the administrator of that exam. I talked with the BJCP exam director about getting it on the calendar for next May, 2021, but just looking at exam calendar now, I don't see it there. I need to remind myself if they've got everything they need from me and its just in the pipeline or if I need to get them something.

I've got a cider exam on the schedule in February, if anyone is interested in getting the Cider Judge endorsement.

Had you signed up for the May exam?

Yes, I was. I know you were working hard to make it work, no one saw COVID coming! Congrats on the OG success, thinking of brewing something like this for the mid-late summer line-up.

Back