Back sweetening, nasty batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacaca86

Reaction score
So one of my batches is ready to bottle but it smells awful, and tastes like crap too... Is it worth trying to back sweeten? Ive never done it so need your help and input please!

So one of my batches is ready to bottle but it smells awful, and tastes like crap too... Is it worth trying to back sweeten? Ive never done it so need your help and input please!

Rotten egg smell, or vinegar smell and taste?

Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use? What was the Original Gravity? What was the Final Gravity? How long did it ferment? At what temperature?

I know, I ask a lot of questions. But the more answers I get, the more intelligent my response will be. :D

UpstateMike said:
Rotten egg smell, or vinegar smell and taste?

Out of curiosity, what yeast did you use? What was the Original Gravity? What was the Final Gravity? How long did it ferment? At what temperature?

I know, I ask a lot of questions. But the more answers I get, the more intelligent my response will be. :D

Okay for starters it was a red star champagne yeast... Its not really a rotting egg smell so i guess more vinegar smell? Original gravity was at 1.55 now at roughly 1.05... Went exactly by recipe and put in secondary at 4 wks... Its been in secondary container for 2 wks... Surprisingly clear after adding tiny amount of sparkloid. Its been fermenting for 6 wks and 2 days. Oh yeah temp was at roughly 60 degrees the entire time

Back