b. clausenii and party pigs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattTimBell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying out a new recipe that I'm stoked about, but not quite sure about the next step --- which is "bottling" in two party pigs. The recipe is an Old Ale brewed with S-04 and B. clausenii. The B. clausenii had already produced a fantastic, over-ripe tropical fruit character after only the one week of primary fermentation, and it's now 4 weeks into secondary TOTALLY quiet: no bubbling, no pellicle, nada, zip.

Here's my issue: I know that B. clausenii is a "slow working," super-attenuating yeast. My initial plan was to avoid damaging the pigs by shocking the yeast using campden tablets, wait for the SO2 to clear, then add champagne yeast and dextrose sufficient to carbonate in the pigs. Now, however, I'm wondering if I really need to do that. The pigs look like they could handle quite a bit of pressure without blowing up, plus B. clausenii is reported to be slow, PLUS the yeast seems to have gone silent in secondary. Finally, I'm not expecting this brew to sit in the pigs for over six months as its flavor is already where I want it to be: complex, smooth, and likely to pair with some dry hopping that I wouldn't want to age out anyway.

So, thoughts? Would I be crazy to bottle this in the pigs this early without the shocking / carbonating with a different yeast?

-- Matt

Latest posts

Back