Avocado stones instead as hops replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well they certainly are bitter. And apparently have anti-microbial properties and are rich in antioxidants. Kinda sorta almost sounds a little bit like hops. Not sure how you'd figure out how much to use though. Maybe cut one up and make a tea and then add a drop or two to some cheap generic low-IBU beer to see what it adds.

Plus Google says that consuming avocado seeds may lower cholesterol and mitigate hypertension, inflammation and diabetes. So there's that.

FTA:

The California Avocado Commission states that the avocado seed contains compounds that are unsafe to consume.5 For example, avocado seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, tannins, and trypsin inhibitors. Those compounds are antinutrients, which may decrease your body's ability to absorb minerals and vitamins.

Yep, any time the scientists say something contains cyano-anything, I stay away. And I'm not sure the avocado pit's antifungal properties would be good for the yeast.

A lot of fruit seeds contain cyanogenic compounds (ex: apples, cherries, apricots, and, apparently, avocados), which is why certain fruits have to be treated with caution when using them in fermentation, mashing/pulping them, keeping seeds in the fermentation (whole or broken), etc. Some vegetables/tubers as well, like why yucca must be boiled before it can be eaten. Always good to do the research.

If the drink was harmful, would the producer’s lawyers and accountants want it on the market?
Depends on the risk assessment. And sadly that's not going to be an assessment of the risk to consumers' health per se, but the risk of some specific adverse effect being traced to the product leading to the company taking a financial hit.

I have not read the science on cyanogenic compounds in avocado pits or how readily those compounds might be extracted if one uses them to brew tea.

Plus Google says that consuming avocado seeds may lower cholesterol and mitigate hypertension, inflammation and diabetes. So there's that.
Drinking less will also do that, regarding all but diabetes. just saying.
Ashwaganda (sp?)is a well known “adaptogen” that may be helpful.

The cool thing about cyanide is that is an organic compound that your body can break down harmlessly as long as you’re not exposed to a lethal dose. In other words, a little won’t hurt you and it doesn’t accumulate to cause problems. Even lima beans contain cyanide.
I once heard of an African tribe that has a diet based on a certain tuber and that they eat right up to the limit of the daily amount of cyanide. NOTE: There are no overweight people in that tribe! 🤔

Latest posts

Back