IBUS in dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roythebull

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Does anyone know how to calculate the ibus in a beer that only adds hops in dry hop?. Cheers!!

You might taste some bitterness, but it will measure to be 0 IBUs by the scientific method because that only measures isomerized alpha, which requires boiling and obviously that ain't happening here. There are other compounds in hops that provide bitterness though too. They just don't play into the IBU.

Excuse me please because i used the google translator before and may be i wrote some wrong expression.

dmtaylor, now im understand you. But its possible know quantify that some bitterness for use the correct quantity of hops?

thanks a lot

IBU is just a number and numbers don’t equal perceived bitterness in the finished product. Perceived bitterness can be affected by water profile, alcohol, malt ingredients and attenuation, as well as other factors.
I’ve been focusing my brewing efforts lately on beers with all late addition and dry hops, and from what I can tell, it’s all trial and error, there are too many variables to come up with a consistent formula to follow.
I’ve been using existing recipes and tweaking them to suit what I can do and it’s been working out good for me.

IBU is just a number and numbers don’t equal perceived bitterness in the finished product. Perceived bitterness can be affected by water profile, alcohol, malt ingredients and attenuation, as well as other factors.
Mostly true; however, IBUs aren't as pointless as some like yourself seem to be making them out to be.

from what I can tell, it’s all trial and error, there are too many variables to come up with a consistent formula to follow.
I can't agree with that. Using a good method, we can design new recipes and play with hop additions to hit a perceived bitterness in the right ballpark on the very first try. I'd say IBU models are a very useful tool from that perspective. Then tweak from that point IF necessary on successive batches.

I’ve been using existing recipes and tweaking them to suit what I can do and it’s been working out good for me.
That's definitely cool. Learning from experience is always best.

Cheers.

I can't agree with that. Using a good method, we can design new recipes and play with hop additions to hit a perceived bitterness in the right ballpark on the very first try. I'd say IBU models are a very useful tool from that perspective. Then tweak from that point IF necessary on successive batches.

Do you happen to have any reading you could point me to on estimating late/dry hop perceived bitterness contributions?

Do you happen to have any reading you could point me to on estimating late/dry hop perceived bitterness contributions?
Nothing specific that I can recall at the moment, just a known basis that a typical hop stand happens around 170 F, and mathematically the isomerization reaction rate at 170 F is approximately 25-30% compared with the rate at boiling temperature. There should be empirical data out there someplace that I got this information from, and I could look it up later (I need to get back to my real job at the moment), but the data's out there for anyone to search on.

IBUs aren't as pointless as some like yourself seem to be making them out to be.
The IBU calculation in a recipe isn’t pointless, but if you want to achieve a specific goal, IBUs should be considered along with the other factors in my response above.
:mug:

I’ve been focusing my brewing efforts lately on beers with all late addition and dry hops, and from what I can tell, it’s all trial and error, there are too many variables to come up with a consistent formula to follow.
thanks so much, i was using your metod too

Back