Anyone using one of the ZChiller counterflow chillers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
In the process of putting my BIAB stand together, and in the interest of minimizing 'sloppy stuff' I was kicking around the idea of plumbing in a counterflow chiller. The ZChiller ones look pretty good; has anyone used one? Good reviews, bad?

As a mechanical engineer I will say that if I was in the market for a CFC, which I am, it would undoubtedly be a ZChiller.

The only thing I would like is to have a mounting bracket, but I should be able to solder/braze one on myself.

Well, being as HBF has a discount code that works, and I want to get things moving, I ordered the large ZChiller. I'll put my review of it up when it arrives.
The ZChiller guys do refrigeration heat exchangers, so I'm reasonably sure they know what they're doing. :)

Well, being as HBF has a discount code that works, and I want to get things moving, I ordered the large ZChiller. I'll put my review of it up when it arrives.
The ZChiller guys do refrigeration heat exchangers, so I'm reasonably sure they know what they're doing. :)

What is this discount code you speak of? I may place an order myself if there is a deal going on.

I have the large ZChillers CFC and am very pleased with it's performance. I have 68 deg city water and can cool a 5 gallon batch in about 5 mins.

These guys are in the refrigeration business and know all about heat transfer. I highly recommend them.

I used Unistrut to build a bracket for my chiller. See my signature link for photos...

Thanks for the review and the bracket pics. Just waiting for mine to show up now.

My ZChiller should be here Monday. Pretty sure I have all the fittings I need, so I can finish my stand once I get home from work... Tuesday. The only fabrication needed is the mount for the chiller.

So I finally mounted up my Zchiller. In the process of cleaning it out, I also was able to test it.

The chiller is insanely efficient. I was recirculating 140 degree PBW through the new chiller and the new silicone lines to clean everything out. After letting it run for a long while, I turned on the cooling water.

It dropped the 140 degree water down to pitching temps faster than I thought possible.

Now I just need to brew to give it a real test. So far it looks good!

Now I just need to brew to give it a real test. So far it looks good!

Any updates on this?

I just worry about how easy this is for cleaning, I am considering but am worried about trub getting lodged. aka possible infection issues

Feedback please?

Still using it, still no issues at all. It's fast, it's efficient and it's easy to keep clean. No problems with anything getting lodged in it. In my opinion, it's worth every penny.

Still using it, still no issues at all. It's fast, it's efficient and it's easy to keep clean. No problems with anything getting lodged in it. In my opinion, it's worth every penny.

Would you ever see the need for 2 inline for 15 gallons of liquid wort?

(WI groundwater here is quite cold 50 degrees tops mid summer)

No, not at all. My groundwater is cold here as well. I can chill the kettle down to 100-110 degrees and run off full throttle into the fermenter in the 63-64 degree range. My water is in the 50's, as well.

Latest posts

Back