Anyone into kefir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddBaggins

cervisiam vitae
Reaction score
I make my own sauerkraut. It's delicious and full of great probiotics. Does anyone here make kefir? I've been interested in making some.
Also, could one use some of the liquid from fermented kraut to start kefir? Or is it completely different organisms? If not, what are your favorite starters? :mug:

About 12-13 years ago I was given a "Yoghurt plant" culture that came from Serbia. It looks like small cauliflower florets, has a rubbery texture and is white. Until 3 years ago I had never heard of the name Kefir and it being the very same species, apparently.

My Kefir culture lived for many years, then it was forgotten in the back of the fridge for a few months and sadly, could not be resuscitated. I've been looking for a replacement lately.

I used a different method to make Kefir yoghurt, using pasteurized but unboiled milk. I know, I know, people who were raised in the U.S. are shaking their heads...

I had a friend give me some "kefir grains" (similar concept to a scoby mother) and made several batches with them before becoming lazy and killing them.

I think the kefir organisms are a mixture of yeasts and lactobacillis but I'm not really sure.

It should taste like soupy sour yogurt with light carbonation. I liked to mix mine with BlackBerry jam and drink it for breakfast.

I've been making kefir (using kefir grains) for the past 11 or 12 years on a daily basis. I drink it (pure) for breakfast. I've used raw milk before, but at the moment I use pasteurized (and of course unboiled) milk.

Hmmm, more research required. Since I already have great culture going for my kraut, I was hoping to use it to start kefir. I'll probably have to pose this question to one of the "ferment everything" forums/groups. I was hoping to avoid that. I followed one on facebook briefly. Some of those peoples are fruitloops. lol

I guess you could try to use your sauerkraut culture to ferment milk. I've never heard of such a thing before, but I guess you can always try. It might even resemble kefir. It won't be the real thing, though, because for kefir you need kefir grains...

I guess you could try to use your sauerkraut culture to ferment milk. I've never heard of such a thing before, but I guess you can always try. It might even resemble kefir. It won't be the real thing, though, because for kefir you need kefir grains...

Do those kefir grains grow and become cauliflower-like and rubbery?

I was assuming the grains were dried culture.

Do those kefir grains grow and become cauliflower-like and rubbery?

Yes, they kind of resemble large cottage cheese curds, but the way I understand it they are symbiotic colonies of the various yeasts and bacterias that perform the fermentation. They definitely grow over time though.

They're called "grains" but they are more like blobs. They are considered a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) and something that resembles the definition heads-and-tails more than a kombucha "scoby". The kefir grains do indeed have the lumpy, nodule-ridden surface like cauliflower. They also grow and multiply (small become big, and they seem to bud).

The process is simple. Fridge-cold milk (any kind) is poured into your vessel. You add an appropriate amount of kefir grains to the vessel. Put a lid on the vessel, and leave it at room temperature, but make sure it can vent because it will ferment. Wait until the kefir is ready (usually 24-28 hours). Strain out your grains, and collect the kefir milk in a separate container; start a new batch with the grains. The kefir milk can be drunk immediately or refrigerated. Once fermented this way, the kefir will last a really long time. I experimented once and left a batch in the fridge for 2 months before trying and it was still fine - perhaps more sour and flavorful but essentially the same product. Excess grains can be eaten, blended into shakes, or dried and frozen as a backup plan (or multitude of other uses).

I stopped making kefir because I got tired of the daily maintenance of my pet foods at the time (my sourdough starter was let go around the same time).

You shouldn't need any more information on true kefir than this website:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Last edited:
I should add: Real kefir does not resemble that stuff they sell at the grocery store that is called "Kefir Milk". The stuff at the store is basically runny yogurt sweetened to an excessive amount (same with store yogurt), and the store stuff contains far fewer (pro)biotics too. Real kefir is a bit more gamey (think chevre vs cream cheese), but is a delight when not excessively sour.

Side note: Homemade yogurt is equally as rewarding to make as kefir and doesn't have the same commitment. The only caveat is the incubation chamber but I found a cooler with hot water bath (that I would refresh a couple time over 8 hours) to suffice. Your starter is simply your favorite brand plain yogurt bought from the store. Then you reuse your homemade yogurt as your next starter for several generations....and eventually start over with a store bought yogurt.

I should add: Real kefir does not resemble that stuff they sell at the grocery store that is called "Kefir Milk". The stuff at the store is basically runny yogurt sweetened to an excessive amount (same with store yogurt), and the store stuff contains far fewer (pro)biotics too. Real kefir is a bit more gamey (think chevre vs cream cheese), but is a delight when not excessively sour.

Side note: Homemade yogurt is equally as rewarding to make as kefir and doesn't have the same commitment. The only caveat is the incubation chamber but I found a cooler with hot water bath (that I would refresh a couple time over 8 hours) to suffice. Your starter is simply your favorite brand plain yogurt bought from the store. Then you reuse your homemade yogurt as your next starter for several generations....and eventually start over with a store bought yogurt.

Been getting into kefir lately due to its macronutrient composition, reduced lactose content (worthless), and probiotic culture. I mix it with meal replacement shakes and have a big glass of the lower sugar content stuff before bed, perfect for overnight digestion. I can easily drink a gallon in a few days, btw this stuff is way better on the guts than milk, which is what I used for a major protein source. Now its kefir.

So far I have tried lifeway, some goat kefir and a few hippy fuel brands at my tree hugger store. Ive been thinking about making my own and stumbled upon this thread, which has great info, particularly yours @stpug . . .

That said, how much of a commitment is this? If I generate a gallon of kefir in a week, decant off the bulk of the kefir from the grains, and start a new batch immediately, is there something I am missing with regards to the process and maintenance of the grains? I can let the grains sit for a few weeks or even a month in kefir?

At the risk of helping to create more walking dead threads - the first post was from 2016 - Kefir is a great source for culturing milk when making cheese. I have used kefir to make Mozzarella, asiago, cheddar, Caerphilly, "feta", "Swiss", and squeaky curd. Kefir contains cultures that are both mesophilic and thermophilic. I add about 1 cup of 24-48 hour kefir to my milk and let it ripen for about 40 -60 minutes.

At the risk of helping to create more walking dead threads - the first post was from 2016 - Kefir is a great source for culturing milk when making cheese. I have used kefir to make Mozzarella, asiago, cheddar, Caerphilly, "feta", "Swiss", and squeaky curd. Kefir contains cultures that are both mesophilic and thermophilic. I add about 1 cup of 24-48 hour kefir to my milk and let it ripen for about 40 -60 minutes.

Relative to waking some dead threads 2016 is recent and @stpug has been active recently. Thanks for the info.

Well, after two years plus (Jan 2016) I would think that this thread will be so oxygen deprived that it may be far more effective to begin a new thread than to expect this corpse to behave as anything but a clanking skeleton.

Well, after two years plus (Jan 2016) I would think that this thread will be so oxygen deprived that it may be far more effective to begin a new thread than to expect this corpse to behave as anything but a clanking skeleton.

nah, that only applies to those annoying lodo threads

That said, how much of a commitment is this? If I generate a gallon of kefir in a week, decant off the bulk of the kefir from the grains, and start a new batch immediately, is there something I am missing with regards to the process and maintenance of the grains? I can let the grains sit for a few weeks or even a month in kefir?

It's actually pretty simple and not much of a commitment. But it's a little different from what you describe.

Rather than keeping something going continuously and decanting what you want to drink at the moment, you ferment a given amount to a desired level of "doneness" and strain the grains out. You then refrigerate the kefir and start a new batch with the grains.

If you want to take a break, you can cover the grains in milk and stick them in the refrigerator. I think the longest I've done this is 3 weeks, but longer may be ok.

I've read that stainless steel should be avoided, so I use a plastic strainer that I bought at a dollar store and strain into a glass bowl that I already had. I don't know if stainless steel is really a problem, but since the strainer was only a dollar, I didn't think it was worth taking a chance.

I like mine to be pretty tart, so I let it ferment until there's a visible separation and a layer of whey. If you don't like it as tart, you can strain it sooner.

I use 1 quart canning jars and cover them with a paper napkin held on with a rubber band. When I started, I was using pint jars, but as the grains multiplied, I was able to step up to larger jars. In the summer, I usually do the strain and replace every day or so. I keep my house pretty cool in the winter, so it ferments more slowly. So I keep a couple of jars fermenting. I could also use more grains, but keeping a second jar fermenting just seems easier to me.

As the grains multiply, when you get to a certain point, you'll probably want to use a smaller amount of them in a jar. The extras can be used in smoothies, or you can save them for the future. If you're going to save them for a few weeks, you can just put them in a jar, cover them in milk and store them in the fridge.

For longer term storage, you can dry them for several days at room temperature. If you want to start kefir from dried grains, you need to rehydrate them first. To do that, you cover them with milk and let them sit for a few days. That first batch may or may not be good, so it's best to throw it out. Then repeat the process. Note that although I've given people dehydrated grains, I've never gone through he rehydration process myself, so you may want to read up on it before doing that.

The easiest way is probably to find grains locally (I don't think you can get grains to form by using a starter from commercial kefir, although you might be able to make a batch or 2 that way). I found my grains locally through a classified ad site that's similar to Craigslist, but run by a local news station (it was well established here before Craigslist even got started, so Craigslist never took hold in Utah). Mine were fresh. I think that initially, it took a couple of days to get even a pint, but as the grains multiplied, the time went down and then the volume increased.

If you can't find grains locally, you can also find them online (they may be advertised as starters, but I've seen some sites that advertise starters and specifically state that they can only be used for a few batches), so grains are best.

If you want to PM me your address, I've got some kefir grains that I dehydrated a couple of years ago, then vacuum sealed and stuck in the freezer.

@bpgreen fantastic information! I have a slew of mason jars of various sizes and coffee filters that need a job, so this should be a good use.

I have a stainless steel strainer but I wonder if the issue is with non-stainless metal. Regardless I can pick up a plastic one and run a test once things get going to see if there is any difference that I can measure.

I bought grains from http://www.kefirlady.com, but craigslist is a good idea too. I appreciate your offer, as well.

Latest posts

Back