Start again, add a starter or?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoogle

Reaction score
Hello,

I stuck my toe in the world of kombucha 2 weeks ago without fully understanding how it works. I just read a couple of articles and watched several YouTube videos.

I purchased a scoby from eBay but it was tiny with very little starter liquid. I did not realise at the time that the starter liquid was just as important as if not more than the scoby itself, nevertheless, I didn't create a large batch.

So, after two weeks now, it has done very little or is going very slowly. Hopefully the video will show this.

The questions is, what do I do now to remedy this? Do I completely start again with this scoby or actually make a new scoby first, or do I add starter liquid to this batch by buying some kombucha from a shop?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Looks good. Feed it with some tea and sugar. A pints worth. With 4 oz of sugar. Make sure the tea has cooled before adding. Then leave it alone for 2-3 weeks and repeat.

I grew a brewery from 8 oz of starter and a 1 oz pellicle. You don’t need much but some tea, sugar and patience.

Did you just have the starter and the scoby in the vessel or did you add more sweet tea to it? The scoby needs to feed off of the new tea for it to grow a new scoby. Usually a gallon takes 7-10 days.

Did you just have the starter and the scoby in the vessel or did you add more sweet tea to it? The scoby needs to feed off of the new tea for it to grow a new scoby. Usually a gallon takes 7-10 days.
Initially I didn't feed it but rushpapers recommended feeding it (as above) and wait 2-3 weeks which has now been 12 days so far.

I'm starting to understand the science behind all this. I'm also making a sourdough starter which also requires feeding so would I be right in saying that it's the same principle whereby you need to feed the yeast & (good) bacteria and add more once they've had their fill?

I've added a litre (doubled it) to it now so I'll wait another 7-10 days.
I noticed that when I pour the extra liquid in, it doesn't matter how careful I am, the pellicle or pellicles fold on themselves and sink a bit.
Does this mean these pellicles will stop forming and new one will start?
I certainly don't have a thick one that I see in many photos so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Just realised it's been one month since I started this batch albeit the starter liquid and pellicle were tiny! I thought it was just over 2 weeks, lost track of time. Have I left it too long?

The plan is to wait for the 7-10 days and bottle them for a second fermentation to make them fizzy. If that sounds like a plan, do I stick them in the fridge or ca rather can I stick them in the fridge when I want to drink them cold?

Thanks very much.

Back