New member from Belgium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven.vandevenne

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Surprise surprise, a beer lover from Belgium 🙃

Hi all, my name is Sven and I live in Ghent, arguably one of the most hipster cities in our country. So making all sorts of funky stuff is in the requirements to live here :p

Most of my passions in life circle around food and drinks, mainly tea (I'm a tea sommelier) and all sorts of aromas. I've also studied wine making in a past life (or that's how it feels like). Funny enough I'm also a web developer, (and loving it) so that works out financially.

Recently I've upped my fermentation game and went from homebrew kombucha/kefir/... to making the more funky stuff like all sorts of koji-related products (soy sauce, sake, etc.) but also hot sauce. I've only started exploring beers/meads a few weeks ago and I can already see lots of characteristics that are related to wine making. So it's very interesting for me to do cross-overs or see how all of these products relate/differ from each other.

Anyway, I love learning a lot and for me anything goes, as long as it's tasty or at least you learned something from it in making it 😄.

For now I'm very curious about special sorts of ancient/old recipes or silly (but tasty) ideas like lactomels.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. I see you started studying beer a couple of weeks ago - does that mean you haven't started a brew yet? Either way, good luck with it. Be sure to ask questions here on HBT if/when you don't find something from other sources.

Welcome to the forum. I see you started studying beer a couple of weeks ago - does that mean you haven't started a brew yet? Either way, good luck with it. Be sure to ask questions here on HBT if/when you don't find something from other sources.
Thanks so much!

Well, I actually just started 4 small (1 liter) batches of lactomel (mead) today. Beer will be a next step 😄 Lots to learn from this forum. Thanks for the warm welcome already.

Thanks! I wasn't around back then but I'm sure they were nice people 👴👵 They must've had good beer taste in any case! 🍻
I wasn't around either but after tracing my family history I found a lot of brewing history. I still have dads brewing crock and bottle capper. He made wine and beer. I don't recall ever having his beer but I remember some exploding bottles in the cellar!

Yes, welcome to the forum. If you, by chance, come across any brewing secrets from over there let us know (lol). Your country brews the best.

Welcome to the forum! Many people here who willingly share information. Im looking forward to reading about your lactomel.
Oh yeah, it actually went really well! It gives you a somewhat ”full/rounded” mouthfeel, if that makes sense :D I made one each with the following: blueberries, vanilla and lavender. The lavender is my favorite. And I’m definitely happy that I used fresh dairy, straight from the farm, it gives a nice flavor.

Back