Anyone else NOT getting hangovers from their homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a family cookout last weekend. I drank 15 beers...anywhere from 5.5 to 6.2 ABV each. In the morning...no hangover!:rockin: I have noticed this a lot with my beer. The store bought stuff would give me a splitting headache if I drank that much. But no hangover with mine...just a bit unenthusiastic is all.

Some people claim the yeast in homebrew (since its not filtered like commercial brews) helps to prevent the hangover. I think somewhere I remember reading about the b vitamins present in the yeast or their nutrients helps keep the headache away.

... Wish I had more concrete facts to back up what I kind of, maybe, remember reading somewhere...

Unfortunately I have the opposite problem, but I know my issue is fusel alcohols in my brew from poor thermal management at initial fermentation. Gotta work on fixing that.

Same hangover, more farts.

This. Last Friday I had a bottle of my new Oktoberfest. My father in law poured the yeast and all into my glass. The next morning I made my wife jump out of bed with a sudden and loud blast...just couldn't contain it any longer :eek: She was not happy.

I can drink 3+ more homebrews a night compared to how much I would drink of commercial beer and have less to no hangover. I just can't get enough of my beer!

I am not sure about hangovers but..
I used to have stomach issues, upset guts and tumbling stomach. Seance i have been drinking homebrews i have not had an upset stomach. I do think that maybe some low enzymes or something have been replenished?

My spelling and grammar have not improved...i think they are worse now.

One time for sure - I really, really enjoyed my all Citra IPA (7.0ish ABV) while SWMBO and I played Super Mario Bros. on an old NES. Hungover as s**t the next day.

Two other times I mixed homebrew with commercial stuff. Once I had one, maybe two Bell's Batch 10,000s and a bunch of homebrew and then had to shovel snow the next day with a wicked hangover. The other time I brought a keg of homebrewed EdWort's Kolsch to a party and parked it next to a Sanke keg of Lakefront Brewery Riverwest Stein. Helped myself to both all night and couldn't even keep Tylenol down the next day.

Other than that, 70 or so batches and no major headaches - literally and figuratively.

JonM said:
One time for sure - I really, really enjoyed my all Citra IPA (7.0ish ABV) while SWMBO and I played Super Mario Bros. on an old NES. Hungover as s**t the next day.

That sounds like an epic good time.

The yeast is preventing your hangover (most likely.. drinking some water every other beer or so helps alot too!) Yeast is an excellent source of B vitamins, which is what excessive alcohol consumption depletes from your body often causing your hangover. Most store bought beer (even the majority of store bought craft beer) is filtered so that it's nice and clear in the bottle. The filtering removes the suspended yeast, and removes benefits of the yeast nutrition as well. Charlie Papazian has an awesome page or two near the end of "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" that describes the phenomenon in better detail. I tried to find it online to copy and paste, but was unsuccessful, and since I gave my copy away I can't quote directly.. maybe someone else can?

Charlie Papazian has an awesome page or two near the end of "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" that describes the phenomenon in better detail. I tried to find it online to copy and paste, but was unsuccessful, and since I gave my copy away I can't quote directly.. maybe someone else can?
No Kidding? So there is actual study on this? Cool. I am glad to hear others have the same observations.

I haven't been brewing long, but my homebrew hasn't given me a hangover yet. Of course I'm a little drunk right now so we'll see what happens tomorrow

As I remember, yeast is chock full of Vitamin B, and VB is a great defense against dehydration, which is one of the symptoms/causes of a hangover. So, if your homebrew is full of yeast (and even the clearish ones are), you're getting plenty VB.

As the story goes, sailors used to get VB shots just before shore liberty to help with the inevitable binge drinking.

Anchors away homebrewers.

Nothing a little pedialyte can't prevent, a half-hour before bed. Works like a charm!

I've heard that the alcohol inhibits the absorption of vitamins, so you're not really getting that much out of your homebrew.

I've heard that the alcohol inhibits the absorption of vitamins, so you're not really getting that much out of your homebrew.

That is if it's true, what you heard. The only kind of hangover I get is tired/unmotivated and just general malaise. Never get headaches unless I drink copious amounts of hard liquor, which for obvious reasons, I don't do anymore. Homebrew or commercial beer, the hangover is the same for me, generally speaking.

Me and my brew buddy were just talking about this the other day. We narrowed it down to more or less craft beer/ homebrew= less hangovers where as BMC = hangover almost every time.

None of the nausea. My first try at a tripel had some nasty fusels and I could handle a single bottle, but a bomber and I'd have a splitting headache the next morning. With most of my brews if there is a gathering and reason to celebrate I'll go until I'm out of beer or just passed out and wake up just fine.

as several people are saying, homebrew generally has a lot of yeast in suspension, as most of us don't filter it. yeast is a really good source of b complex vitamins ( including the vaunted b12 ), so is great for you. unfortunately, b complex vitamins cause gas. i like beers that keep some yeast in suspension, as i like the yeast taste. unfortunately, my wife isn't so fond of when i drink them...

I can not say I have been hungover from homebrew. I can say that commercial sours seem to kill me the next day.

My reason for it is I drink less when I am drinking craft/homebrew. BMC beers taste like water so I drink them like water. I tend to slow down and enjoy the more tasty offerings of craft/HB. Then again, I tend to only get hangovers from wine and/or liquor. Though when I do get a hangover I am in for a crappy day.

Latest posts

Back