Anybody Remember Colt 45 Malt Liquor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shurimano

Reaction score
Just curious if there's a recipe for it. It's been years since I've seen it in liquor stores. I use to love it back in the day.

I remember seeing it, I didn't drink it. There are some recipes on the net for Old English 800, and Adventures in Homebrewing has an American Malt Liquor recipe kit.
Welcome to HBT, let us know if you brew one.

Of course! Colt 45 malt liquor was marketed along beside the product Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull... Very famous ads for both. I believe Billy Dee Williams was the spokesman for Colt 45.

Mickey's is the finest of mat liquors, it says so on the bottle. King Cobra, steele reserve and Country Club are also great examples of the style.

Just curious if there's a recipe for it. It's been years since I've seen it in liquor stores. I use to love it back in the day.

I have a recipe book here with a Colt 45 strong export lager recipe

Would you like me to post it up here, The book was from the 70s i have the revised 1996 edition

There also a Schlitz recipe too

Schlitz malt liquor was nasty, probably still is. Schlitz beer on the other hand, I dont mind once a year.

Schlitz malt liquor was nasty, probably still is. Schlitz beer on the other hand, I dont mind once a year.

Long ago, if I wanted to feel hungover without drinking enough to get hungover, I'd drink Schlitz or Blatz.

I've never had colt 45, but Google tells me it's owned by Pabst and is still being made.

I have a recipe book here with a Colt 45 strong export lager recipe

Would you like me to post it up here, The book was from the 70s i have the revised 1996 edition

There also a Schlitz recipe too

Yes please post the recipe, I'm wondering what's in it.
Any dark/bock beer recipes in that 70's book?

I don't know if the "legal" (by law) definition changed in the last 30 years, but American brews that were over 5% ABV had to be labeled "Malt Liquor".

The same goes for imported beers. I remember German Hefe Weizens were labeled that way too.

There’s plenty of beer over 5% not labeled as malt liquor so either the law changed, it was just a local law or it was never actually a law. I always thought malt liquor meant “it tastes like crap but at least it’s cheap and it’ll get you drunk”.

There’s plenty of beer over 5% not labeled as malt liquor so either the law changed, it was just a local law or it was never actually a law. I always thought malt liquor meant “it tastes like crap but at least it’s cheap and it’ll get you drunk”.

It's a law in some states.

Yes please post the recipe, I'm wondering what's in it.
Any dark/bock beer recipes in that 70's book?

COLT 45 Strong export lager
Malt liquor brewed by the National Brewery Company.

7lbs Crushed lager malt
5oz crushed crystal
1lb 10oz flaiked maize
2oz Hallertau
Lager yeast.
1tsp citric acid

Yeast and citric acid added when wort has been cooled.
OG 1047
SG 1012

A local pro brewer had 22 lb of Irish Stout malt left over and gave it to me. I crushed it all up and made a 5 gal batch. I used Northern Brewer at 60 and EKG at FO, I was wondering what it tasted like, and Malt Liquor is the closest thing I can think of. A little sweet with a big alcohol kick and just enough hops to know it is beer. 7 lb is not enough grain to make a true representation of a ML, IMHO. :mug:

To answer you directly, I have never seen a recipe for it. Indirectly, I will say that I took a swig of it once and it tasted like an armpit. /cheers

Back