An Idiot and his conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Idiot

Reaction score
Long story short, a year ago I was planning to move and packed up all my SS brewing kit. The move took a lot longer than planned, and I had to build a brewery at the new house. All brews so far have been in plastic fermenters but I declared to dust of the SS conical. Today I kegged a NEIPA, and at the end realised I’d forgotten to dump the trub. The beer has been drawn off through the muck, and is pretty cloudy, but in the keg.

I figure it’ll cold crash in the keeper, but there might be so much crap it’ll cover the dip tube, so I figure I have three choices.
1: Let it cold crash and siphon to another keg.
2: Drink it, get gut-rot, and learn my lesson While sitting on the toilet.
3: Take advice from you guys who know better.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and please don’t feel bad if you laugh at my stupidity!

Usually after the cold crash you can just draw a pint or two and get most of the sludge. Then before you pour any beers moving forward wasting an ounce or two should be fine. I see you said it's a NEIPA, so my major concern would be hops clogging the poppet of the keg. Did you have your hops contained by chance or are there free hops in the keg at the moment?

Usually after the cold crash you can just draw a pint or two and get most of the sludge. Then before you pour any beers moving forward wasting an ounce or two should be fine. I see you said it's a NEIPA, so my major concern would be hops clogging the poppet of the keg. Did you have your hops contained by chance or are there free hops in the keg at the moment?
The hops were contained. It just had been so long since I used a conical i forgot to dump!

The hops were contained. It just had been so long since I used a conical i forgot to dump!
Yeah I think you'll be just fine then. If you don't normally do it, I would consider using some kind of fining agent on the keg. Plain ol' gelatin works fantastic. If you're worried about oxygenation, check out this post for a way to inject gelatin without too much if any oxygen: Fining with gelatin under pressure about a quarter of the way down the page I mention my setup for a "gelatin rocket." Should help you clear everything up no problem.

Back