Glycol chiller for 2 7g conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Does anybody on here have experience with a glycol chiller to buy that will potentially cold crash 2 7g conicals (ssbrewtech jacketed). I may never need to at the exact same time but I only plan to buy 2 conicals I want the ability to cold crash both to the 30s. I know or read that some are rated for 2 vessels to temp control fermentation. But will they cold crash two at the same time? The catch to this is also I plan on having this in my garage here in California. Winter the garage may hit 40-50s. But summers here when it's 103 for a few days, my garage may be dam near 95 in the garage..

I can always move the conicals into my house if the summer time if a chiller won't cold crash in summer. But looking for people who have tested these systems. Brewbuilt icemaster2? 4? Ss brewtech 1/5?

Thanks for reading and input

I have an original SS Brewtech 1/3 hp glycol chiller and it works just fine chilling two 7 gallon conicals down to lager fermentation temperatures at the same time. According to the SS Brewtech website, its 1/5 hp new glycol chiller can handle up to 3 conicals. See Glycol Chiller | 1/5hp
Yea I read that. I'm hoping to find someone that has the 1/5 and has any experiences when ambient is in 90s like my garage may be in a 105* day. Although I don't have to brew In A week wave week ahaha but I just want to know it will for sure be able to crash both. But I'm leaning towards it. Although the brewbuilt with pumps is way cheaper.

I'm in So. Cal. and have never had a problem with my chiller doing the job. When I make 10 gallon batches, I use an immersion chiller which gets the wort down to the 80's or 90's depending on the outside temperature. The chiller gets me the rest of the way whether it's into the low to mid-60's for an ale or low 50's for a lager. I rarely cold crash, but when I have, it has taken the beer down into the low 40's no problem. My brewery is in my garage, so it can get pretty hot when we have a heat wave.

I'm in So. Cal. and have never had a problem with my chiller doing the job. When I make 10 gallon batches, I use an immersion chiller which gets the wort down to the 80's or 90's depending on the outside temperature. The chiller gets me the rest of the way whether it's into the low to mid-60's for an ale or low 50's for a lager. I rarely cold crash, but when I have, it has taken the beer down into the low 40's no problem. My brewery is in my garage, so it can get pretty hot when we have a heat wa
Oh ok cool. You got the bigger chiller but similar. I'd be only doing 7g conicals and from what I read jacketed are better at cooling so this also might benefit me as well.

I'm in Brentwood/Livermore

My 7 gallon conicals are the original models with the FTS cooling coils and heaters. I would definitely get the quick disconnects and insulation: FTSs | Quick Disconnect Kit

It is much better than pulling hoses off a hose barb every time you need to disconnect the chiller from the fermenter. Also, on hot, humid days, I get a lot of condensation on the hoses and even on the metal parts of the fermenter, so it is nice to have insulation on both.

Good luck

My 7 gallon conicals are the original models with the FTS cooling coils and heaters. I would definitely get the quick disconnects and insulation: FTSs | Quick Disconnect Kit

It is much better than pulling hoses off a hose barb every time you need to disconnect the chiller from the fermenter. Also, on hot, humid days, I get a lot of condensation on the hoses and even on the metal parts of the fermenter, so it is nice to have insulation on both.

Good luck
i wish they had quick connects on the conical so it can be snapped on and off right at the conical without uing vinyl tubing to go from the quick connects to the barb

If you are handy, putting together a 10k BTU AC unit-based glycol chiller is about a weekend's worth of time. I chill 3 7G down to 40F with insulation, 50F without; I'm in the South Bay so a little cooler than your area.

I more or less permanently clamped nylon reinforced hoses to the coil barb ends and then to the quick disconnect which is just below the lid of the fermenter in the picture. I probably don't need the springs given the nylon reinforcing, but had them left over from the prior flexible hoses that would bend and kink. From that point down to the glycol chiller on a shelf below, I have normal flexible tubing wrapped in the SS Brewtech insulation. I ended up buying two sets of quick disconnects: one at the fermenter and the other at the chiller. However, I could probably do without the latter as I have yet to disconnect the hoses from the chiller.
FTS.jpg

I have two of the Brewbuilt Icemaster 4 chillers. One is conencted to three 1 BBL SS Brewtech non-jacketed fermenters w/internal coil, the other is connected to two 1 BBL ferms and one 1 BBL Brite. I can keep all three fermenters at the mid 60F's with ease and cold crash one to 38F without any issues in a non-temperature controlled building that reaches into the 90F's in the Texas summer. The other one has no problem maintaining two ferms at mid 60F's while keeping the brite at 38F. I keep my chillers set at 28F with a concentration of 70%/30%.

Would highly recommend, but likely overkill for your application.

I've used the 1/5 HP SS Brewtech chiller for the past 4 years and it works great for 5 gallon batches. My garage gets into the mid 80s in the summer, and I still brew lagers during those months.

Should be fine for 2 simultaneous batches, as long as you aren't cold crashing them at the same time.

Be aware that if your fermentors aren't fully insulated (i.e. more than a neoprene jacket) you will need to wrap them with a sleeping bag/blanket or else the chiller will run often and you may not be able to get your temperatures low enough.

With my 7 gallon SS Unitank (previous model with the chilling coil), I always used a sleeping bag at lager temperatures in the summer. And it was definitely necessary at cold crash temps.

The neoprene jackets don't really do much at cold crash temps. I feel like SS missed an opportunity to offer a fully insulated option (like the Brewer's Hardware conicals) when they announced their jacketed Unitank 2.0 conicals. They will still sweat like crazy if there's enough of a temperature difference.

These days I only cold crash when dry hopping. Gotta get those little suckers to drop!

I've used the 1/5 HP SS Brewtech chiller for the past 4 years and it works great for 5 gallon batches. My garage gets into the mid 80s in the summer, and I still brew lagers during those months.

Should be fine for 2 simultaneous batches, as long as you aren't cold crashing them at the same time.

Be aware that if your fermentors aren't fully insulated (i.e. more than a neoprene jacket) you will need to wrap them with a sleeping bag/blanket or else the chiller will run often and you may not be able to get your temperatures low enough.

With my 7 gallon SS Unitank (previous model with the chilling coil), I always used a sleeping bag at lager temperatures in the summer. And it was definitely necessary at cold crash temps.

The neoprene jackets don't really do much at cold crash temps. I feel like SS missed an opportunity to offer a fully insulated option (like the Brewer's Hardware conicals) when they announced their jacketed Unitank 2.0 conicals. They will still sweat like crazy if there's enough of a temperature difference.

These days I only cold crash when dry hopping. Gotta get those little suckers to drop!
Well i was hoping to be able to cold crash both IF i had both going.. right before kegging. maybe ill research a way to make or add a jacket to put over the jacket LOL.. never know im leaning to the Brewbuilt Icemaster 2.

Well i was hoping to be able to cold crash both IF i had both going.. right before kegging. maybe ill research a way to make or add a jacket to put over the jacket LOL.. never know im leaning to the Brewbuilt Icemaster 2.
The 1/5 HP SS chiller, will keep both at refrigerator temperatures but it might struggle crashing them at the same time. Ramp one down, then do the other.

Looks like Brewbuilt claims the Icemaster 2 can cold crash two 15 gallon conicals at once. It's also cheaper but keep in mind it doesn't come with casters. Once full, it's no fun moving these things around without wheels.

The 1/5 HP SS chiller, will keep both at refrigerator temperatures but it might struggle crashing them at the same time. Ramp one down, then do the other.

Looks like Brewbuilt claims the Icemaster 2 can cold crash two 15 gallon conicals at once. It's also cheaper but keep in mind it doesn't come with casters. Once full, it's no fun moving these things around without wheels.
yea ill get creative or have to get creative with some DIY cart...

I take what brewbuilt claims with a grain of salt though. says ambient around 75 if i remember correctly. 90 degree garage in summer, I cant expect miracles. But i can always move the fermenters in the house if i must.

Back