American Sour Beer – Book!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just pre-ordered on Amazon. I am so excited to read this! you've been more then an inspiration on the trip down the sour road

Just an FYI, I've started posting the "trimmings" from the book. They'll all be tagged with American Sour Beers. Last week was sour beer pairing/cooking, and this week Gruits. In the coming weeks I'll be posting the rest of the spice/herb chapter, Kvass, saisons, and a few other things that didn't make the 400 page cut.

Great! Looking forward to reading it. We have begun brewing our own sours and will use it as a reference.

We enjoyed brewing the dark sour with you last November (Modern Times Kick Starter reward). We learned a lot and enjoyed the tastings.

I am sure the book will be a big success. Congratulations.

promotional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1auuU-0Ojs

Mike has already released the URLs to his updated list of bottle dregs (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/dreg-list.html), and a new page that covers all (or almost all) available commercial bugs - including a lot of the small guys (http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/commercial-cultures.html)

Cheesy video. Thanks for sharing.

Links don't work right in the iPad app.

Wished we could directly open in safari...

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think there's some pre-sale on AHA or BA, right? Something like $12 for members? Great deal for an already nicely-priced book.

Got mine preordered today as soon as the AHA email came in! Now I'll be watching the mail like I watch fresh wort waiting for the yeast to kick in.

I was completely unaware of that video until right now. Thanks for posting it!

My copy arrived yesterday. I posted an example of the process flow diagrams - there is one for each brewery featured in Chapters 5 and 6. The album also includes the table of contents: http://imgur.com/a/AdDEb#0

Thanks to everyone who has already ordered, enjoy!

I was completely unaware of that video until right now.
i thought it was kinda weird that you weren't in the video...

My copy arrived yesterday. I posted an example of the process flow diagrams - there is one for each brewery featured in Chapters 5 and 6. The album also includes the table of contents: http://imgur.com/a/AdDEb#0
per your "Mad Fermentationist Souring Method" flow diagram, do you always rack off the primary cake? what about getting extra funk from having the brett munch on the dying sacch?

i thought it was kinda weird that you weren't in the video...

per your "Mad Fermentationist Souring Method" flow diagram, do you always rack off the primary cake? what about getting extra funk from having the brett munch on the dying sacch?

You'll be seeing and hearing more than enough from me already over the next few months between Basic Brewing, Chop and Brew, BN, BeerSmith etc.

This is my generic method, the only beers I leave in primary for the duration are lambic-inspired batches. Although once in awhile I get lazy and leave another beer in primary for a couple months.

While I wait for my copy in the mail, can I ask Oldsock some advice about two batches going?

One is a triple. I intended to bottle, but it sat, and sat, and sat, and I finally kegged it instead. Has that homebrewish quality to it, I attribute to sitting on yeast for too long, and it's murky. I was thinking about leaving in kegs, adding some Brett and putting a spunding valve on. My thought was that it might eat the dead yeast stuff in the beer and clean up my laziness. I have Brett B,C and T on hand. Was feeling a little allagash curieaux (?) inspiration, so I also got some oak spirals. I've been trying to clear out much of the oak character so as not to overdo the oakiness, by boiling and cooling for several cycles, and soaking in some beer which will be discarded, then soaking in some whisky before adding to the keg as well.
How long do you think it will take for the Brett to work their magic? Any suggestions on what pressure to set the spunding valves at? I've no idea with the PSI inside a carbonated bottle of triple is supposed to be.

Second beer has undergone primary fermentation using ECY01 and sitting at 73% AE as of last weekend. Was going to rack it onto some fruit for a secondary fermentation. It's been in the primary for three weeks. Was wondering if that's long enough of a primary fermentation? 73% AE seems low. Also when I took a hydro sample, it sat for a few days and never really cleared up. I'm sure if I rack there will still be plenty of bugs carried over. I plan to put a new beer into the emptied conical. I still have some of the original ECY01 culture on hand, but would it worthwhile to rack the new beer onto the yeast cake or part of the yeast cake? I can't imagine there is going to be much of a cake based on the minimal settling in the hydro flask though. The new beer is a little stronger 1.055 planned. First beer was 1.047.

Thanks for the book. Looking forward to reading it. Do you know when it starts shipping?

TD

I’ve never tried to rescue a beer like that. There is certainly a chance it’d work, but honestly with the additional time/effort of a sour beer, I’d rather dump your off batch and brew some fresh wort. That said, if you don’t need the keg, give it a shot!

10-15 PSI is probably safe. Bottled tripels tend to have higher carbonation, but it’d be tough to serve beer on tap with that much carbonation. You can always adjust later.

For fruit beers, my preference is to go onto fruit after terminal gravity is reached (usually 6-12 months after brewing). If you add fruit now, the fresh flavors will be gone long before you actually get to drink the beer.

Repitching is a great idea. The bacteria will likely outpace the yeast, so each generation will get more acidic. I’ll often pitch some fresh brewer’s yeast along with a scoop of the yeast cake. At three weeks the Sacch is probably still OK, you should be fine.

Not sure when it’ll ship. Someone told me a store in England claims to have shipped his copy. Who knows!

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait for the book.

Think I'll just rack the sour beer into secondaries, and add the fruit after a few more months so as to preserve fruit flavor when its time to consume. It'll also give me more time to track down some rhubarb, not so common in Florida. I need the fermentation space for the next sour beer, and don't want to hang onto the second half of the ECY pitch for too long.

As for the triple, truth be told it's not so bad as is, but I'm always more critical of my beer than others. My wife liked it and another friend homebrewer said it was very good. I really haven't got much to lose either way. I'm wondering if some finings might help as well.

Sorry for thread hijack!

TD

Cheesy video.

Understatement of the week. The video is awful. Are they trying to sell a shamwow or sour beer brewing book?

Sorry Mike - I'm guessing (hoping) you didn't have a hand in that mess. Hope it sells books. Still waiting (impatiently) for amazon to ship my copy ordered back in January.

Cheers :mug:
Pete

Hello,

We have good news! *We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

* Tonsmeire, Michael "American Sour Beer"
* * Previous estimated arrival date: July 09, 2014
* * New estimated arrival date: June 16, 2014

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

We hope to see you again soon!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department

Lucky bastages.... They now show it as Temporarily Out of Stock (my March 16th order still lists July 9th)..... 8 (

I just got an Amazon update too. Should be delivered by June 18. Too bad I won't be there until the 24th. Very excited!

I'm Highly interested in this book. But I also want to buy from my Brick and Mortar Small book store. Is this something I could ask them to order for me? Or is it Amazon Only?

I'm Highly interested in this book. But I also want to buy from my Brick and Mortar Small book store. Is this something I could ask them to order for me? Or is it Amazon Only?

You could also order it straight from the BA/AHA and support their mission.

They should be able to get it for you, possibly ordering it the way I just described. I have seen several Amazon boxes being delivered to a local book store before. Things are not always as they seem.

Delivery Estimate Details
Order #114-1188767-...
Placed on Sunday, January 26, 2014
Your new estimated delivery date is: Wednesday, June 18, 2014
Your previous estimated delivery date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Your shipping speed: Two-Day Shipping
:ban:

Order Placed: January 6, 2014
Amazon.com order number: 108-4146748...

Shipment #1: Shipped on June 11, 2014

Delivery estimate: June 13, 2014

Gotta love Amazon Prime!