Ale fermentation complete, why is it bubbling again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForerunnerBrewer

Reaction score
Yesterday, 3 weeks after brew day I put my 6 gal carboy with IPA in the kegerator next to a keg. I have the temperature set at 48˚ and now the airlock is bubbling like it does 36 hours after pitching yeast.

I intended to turn the temp down but I wanted to have a couple beers this weekend before I cold crashed.

What's happening? Will this further attenuate and make this taste a little like a lager?

The yeast is 3rd gen California Ale V.

Thanks everyone!

I would say its not done fermenting yet. When you moved it you roused the yeast again. Did you take a SG readings?

I would say it's bubbling, because you moved the fermenter.

Usually the most LOGICAL answer is usually the correct one. ;)

You're thinking in terms of bubbling = fermentation.... Think of an airlock as it's supposed to be thought of, as a VENT a VALVE to release gas, NOT as a fermentation gauge. All that more than likely happened is gas that has been present ALL THE TIME in solution got released, either from it being trapped in the yeast at the bottom of the vessel, because of some physical shaking of the vessel or the room it is being stored in, or the change in barometric pressure putting pressure on the liquid in the vessel or a rise in ambient temp causing the co2 to expand beyond the layer that was in the headspace. Or opening the fermenter to take a gravity reading....

Or because they moved the fermenter.

Airlocks bubble for many reasons Barometric changes/Temp changes/ A truck rumbling by on the street/The cat brushing against it/Vacuum Cleaner....Bubbling of an airlock, especially if it's been idle for awhile, is usually a product of changes in the environment, rather than anything else.

Or because they moved the fermenter. (Are you detecting a theme here?)
neener.gif

That's what so many brewers into trouble, they keep thinking an airlock is a fermentation gauge, that any time it acts up or doesn't act up they think fermentation is or isn't occurring. If you think of it as it's REAL purpose, as a release valve to keep the beer off the ceiling, then you realize that you dealing with gas which is fluid in it's own right, it expands, contracts, and comes out of solutions form many reasons beyond JUST fermenting....

In your case the answer is obvious....
Yesterday, 3 weeks after brew day I put my 6 gal carboy with IPA in the kegerator next to a keg.
;)

I highly doubt that you managed to levitate it without shaking it around. You kicked up the co2 that was in there.....Relax

:mug:

Thanks for the input mciaio and Revvy!

I actually did expect it to happen because of 3 factors including shaking releases CO2, resuspension of yeast from shaking and there would be a pressure difference between the fridge cold air and the 65˚ carboy.

My auto-siphon broke so I figured 3 weeks should be good enough to hit FG without a hydrometer test.

When I originally wrote this thread it was a day after I moved the carboy. Now, 4 days later it is still bubbling once every 3-5 seconds.

The pre-boil SG was 1.046. I will make the time to make a hydrometer measurement as soon as I can!

Latest posts

Back