Air bubbles during bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siucubfan

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my first brew. I did EdWort's Haus Ale AG.

I put the beer into the bottling bucket. Everytime I filled up a bottle there would be air bubbles coming through the spigot. My only guess is that the air is coming through the little air hole in the spigot. I am worried that I was getting to much oxidation in every bottle since it was doing that everytime. Is this something that I am just worring about for no reason or was I doing something wrong and did I oxidize and ruin the beer? Thanks for any help!

I think you're ok. Any oxygen you introduced into the beer likely will be consumed by the yeast as it carbonates your beer.

Did the air bubbles actually go down the filling wand and into the bottle each time? I have sometimes had a bubble form below the spigot and essentially just stay there. Smaller bubbles would break off travel down the wand and them rise back to the top.

IMO it takes a serious amount of air to ruin your beer.

But chime in in about 3 weeks and let us know.

In all likelihood, what you're seeing is super-saturated CO2 coming out of suspension. This is very common, and nothing to worry about.

Did the air bubbles actually go down the filling wand and into the bottle each time? I have sometimes had a bubble form below the spigot and essentially just stay there. Smaller bubbles would break off travel down the wand and them rise back to the top.

IMO it takes a serious amount of air to ruin your beer.

But chime in in about 3 weeks and let us know.

I don't have a wand. I just have a piece of tube connected to the spigot just long enough to go to the bottom of the bottle to keep from splattering the beer in the bottle. I would turn the spigot on it would fill about a 1/4 of the way slowly and then have a large air bubble and then fill the rest of the way pretty quickly. Thanks for the advice. Once I crack one open in a few weeks I will report back.

From March 8, 2012! I wonder if he would even remember that beer. And since he hasn't posted since March 2015, I doubt you will get an answer.

I remember my first beer, doesn't everyone? Jan. 2014, Nut Brown Extract kit. It was actually darn good.

I just finished bottling my first brew. I did EdWort's Haus Ale AG.

I put the beer into the bottling bucket. Everytime I filled up a bottle there would be air bubbles coming through the spigot. My only guess is that the air is coming through the little air hole in the spigot. I am worried that I was getting to much oxidation in every bottle since it was doing that everytime. Is this something that I am just worring about for no reason or was I doing something wrong and did I oxidize and ruin the beer? Thanks for any help!
Did you bottle directly from the spigot or hose and bottling wand?

I don't have a wand. I just have a piece of tube connected to the spigot just long enough to go to the bottom of the bottle to keep from splattering the beer in the bottle. I would turn the spigot on it would fill about a 1/4 of the way slowly and then have a large air bubble and then fill the rest of the way pretty quickly. Thanks for the advice. Once I crack one open in a few weeks I will report back.
Buy a wand, cheap enough and a basic bottling necessity

Back