AHA Nationals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
The final winners are announced at the final dinner at the conference (Saturday night). The second round notices will come out fairly soon but I don't know when. I am assuming e-mails will be sent to those who have made the cut, but no general list will be published.
Here's an excerpt from the official rules. It sounds like it could be awhile until you find out how you did.
(1) First round judging of all beer and mead entries will be done at the first-round sites April 14-April 29, 2007. (Canadian Entries will be judged April 10-14, 2007.)
(2) The AHA will strive to mail score sheets with judges’ comments to entrants by May 29, 2007. If your beer or mead qualifies for the second round judging, the AHA will mail you notice by May 18, 2007 with instructions on how, when, and where to send entries for second round judging. Contestants are advised to refrigerate or properly store potential second round entries to minimize changes in character. RE-BREWING recipes of entries advancing from first round IS
PERMITTED.

Brewpastor said:
The final winners are announced at the final dinner at the conference (Saturday night). The second round notices will come out fairly soon but I don't know when. I am assuming e-mails will be sent to those who have made the cut, but no general list will be published.

E-mails aren't sent...at least they weren't last year. They will post second round winners on the AHA site, and shortly after that you will get a package in the mail with ribbons/certificates and labels for NHC bottles.

Dude said:
E-mails aren't sent...at least they weren't last year. They will post second round winners on the AHA site, and shortly after that you will get a package in the mail with ribbons/certificates and labels for NHC bottles.
Does it take as long as the rules say for them to notify you?
Not t hat I'm expecting to win anything. I'm just looking forward to the feedback.

AdIn said:
I don't even see my registration check cached. I start to worry if I screwed up something with registration.

Another not to worry. IIRC, they didn't cash checks until after the NHC last year. Expect it to get cashed in June sometime. :rolleyes:

I've been asked to judge in the first round. They split the judging for my region up between Portland and Seattle. They didn't get through all the beers on Saturday so judging will continue tomorrow night at Mountain Homebrew and Wine Supply. I told them that I had a beer enetered in the Smoked and Wood Aged category but they said not to worry since we wouldn't be judging those styles. Should be fun.

Judging went great last night. I was assigned to the "Specialty Beer" category which is pretty much a catch all for all beers brewed outside of specific style guidelines or that have the addition of (often times) some very unique ingredients.

dblvsn is still in town and was able to come by and help with the judging. It was great to meet a fellow HBT'er from out of town. I am not BJCP certified but have judged in several local competitions. They did pair us with a BJCP judge and your final scores ned to be within 5 points of each other. We were within that range on most every beer.

Thanks to dblvsn for coming by and volunteering! (although the lure of free beer probably wasn't too hard to pass up.):D

AdIn said:

WOOO-HOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 Stout - Sponsored by Brew & Grow
Max Score: 42.5
Min Score: 20.0
Avg Score: 31.0
# of Entries: 47
1. 13f Thomas Hart, of Corrales, NM, HomeBrewTalk Brewers

16 Belgian and French Ale - Sponsored by S.A. Bieres de Chimay c/o Manneken-Brussel Imports
Max Score: 39.5
Min Score: 20.0
Avg Score: 31.5
# of Entries: 43
1. 16b Thomas Hart, of Corrales, NM, HomeBrewTalk Brewers

Great job BP!!!!!!!!!!

missed one Dude

19 Strong Ale - Sponsored by Northern Brewer
Max Score: 42.5
Min Score: 27.5
Avg Score: 35.6
# of Entries: 20

2. 19c Thomas Hart, of Corrales, NM, HomeBrewTalk Brewers

I entered 2 and didn't get anywhere either. I'm really excited for feedback, though as I thought they were both really good beers. I knew I had no chance on one of them as it was APA, there must get TONS of beers in that category.

I received my results in the mail today. I've got mixed feelings on how I did. My overall score for my pumpkin ale is 35.5. One judge gave me a 33 the other 38.
I took a minor hit for the spices being a bit over powering. I did quite well on appearance and aroma. Points were deducted on flavor and overall impression. I think it was because of the beer style I selected.
Lesson learned. When you enter a fruit or vegetable beer you must declare the style of the base beer. In my case I chose Irish Red because it was the only style that was even close. The problem is I didn't design the beer around a style. I designed it around the pumpkin. The beer didn't have enough roastiness so points were deducted.
One judge said it was a well made beer the other said excellent example. They both said there were no off flavors and no diacetyl.
It looks like I scored just above average:
21 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer -
Max Score: 42.0
Min Score: 26.5
Avg Score: 33.9
# of Entries: 29
All in all I can't complain. Not bad for my first contest.

RichBrewer said:
I received my results in the mail today. I've got mixed feelings on how I did. My overall score for my pumpkin ale is 35.5. One judge gave me a 33 the other 38.
I took a minor hit for the spices being a bit over powering. I did quite well on appearance and aroma. Points were deducted on flavor and overall impression. I think it was because of the beer style I selected.
Lesson learned. When you enter a fruit or vegetable beer you must declare the style of the base beer. In my case I chose Irish Red because it was the only style that was even close. The problem is I didn't design the beer around a style. I designed it around the pumpkin. The beer didn't have enough roastiness so points were deducted.
One judge said it was a well made beer the other said excellent example. They both said there were no off flavors and no diacetyl.
It looks like I scored just above average:
21 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer -
Max Score: 42.0
Min Score: 26.5
Avg Score: 33.9
# of Entries: 29
All in all I can't complain. Not bad for my first contest.

That is pretty cool!!!!! Can't be too disappointed with a 33 or a 38!!!!!

The lines between placing and not are very thin. I got my score sheets yesterday and while I am very pleased with how well the beers did, I also realize the narrow margin by which they placed, as well as the variation in judging panels. Because mine did so well I will of course say the judges were superb, but recognize that if they had not done so well I would claim the opposite. :D

My two highest scores were 42.5 for my Russian Imperial which placed 1st and my American Barleywine which placed 2nd. :ban:

My other beer that placed was my Belgium /French Ale which scored 37.3 and took first. :ban:

I had two other beers that did not place. My old ale, which was in the same Strong Ale category as the Barleywine, scored a 36. My Imperial IPA only recieved a 25.5 and was judged to have some real off flavors or infection. It was cloudy and smelled of eggs. The stuff on tap is great so I guess I screwed up in bottling that one! :mad:

Brewpastor said:
The lines between placing and not are very thin. I got my score sheets yesterday and while I am very pleased with how well the beers did, I also realize the narrow margin by which they placed, as well as the variation in judging panels. Because mine did so well I will of course say the judges were superb, but recognize that if they had not done so well I would claim the opposite. :D
If my beer had been entered in another region I think I might have had a better chance of placing. I'm fine with the results though because it probably wouldn't have done all that well in the finals anyway. I was reading the rules and I guess I'll be getting a silver certificate so what more could I want? :ban:

My Oak Aged Imperial IPA advanced to round two!!!!!!! 2nd place in the Smoke and Wood Aged category. Wow, I'm shocked...and excited!

Back