AHA Nationals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yuri_Rage said:
Ok, I'm tentatively in! SWMBO loves the idea, and I have the leave available from work. Brewpastor is only 3 hours from me, and Denver is only 8-10. I'll try and get a brew going ASAP so I have some beer to bring, but I'll never make an entry in time.

What I'd really like to do is finish my Brewman! inspired corny steam masher and perhaps a little side project that Dude and I have been talking about. That should garner HBT a little attention, I think!

(tentatively) Looking forward to it!

Oh, and let me know if there's anything I NEED to bring. I'll be driving a big SUV or pickup!

:rockin:

sause said:
If I can find another to share a drive out to Denver from Wisconsin/Illinios comma consider the sause in. Really looking for another person.

:rockin:

I need to send you guys PMs for shirts then.....

Mine was shipped today. I had to send it clear to San Diego. I was hoping they would do the regionals here in Denver.
Oh well. It's on the way.

According to my wife, employee Air cargo via US Airways is not an option because they won't accept a pressurized container.

My circumstance in this is unique because we can't really pull a fast one on them. Biting the hand that feeds and all.

I guess I'll have to look into UPS or something.

Well, I shipped off 4 entries. I have high hopes for 2 of them. The others I'd be surprised.

One of the 2 I'm proud of is in one of the worst categories to enter though. That beer has to be amazing--I'm confident. ;)

Mine should have arrived at the drop point in Ohio yesterday.

Hey, you know that the cashier at the UPS store actually made me lie to her!? For some dumb reason, the NHC folks make you put "National Beer Blah Blah Blah" in the address line. They should just say "NHC - Ohio Chapter" or something. So when the lady asked what was in the box, I told her "samples". Then, when she saw the "beer" part of the address line, she was like, "is there BEER in here!?". I said, oh no, of course not! She didn't inquire further. :D If she HAD asked more questions, I'd have dropped the ol' "Yeast Samples" half-truth on her.

Why does the NHC do that?

Evan! said:
Mine should have arrived at the drop point in Ohio yesterday.

Hey, you know that the cashier at the UPS store actually made me lie to her!? For some dumb reason, the NHC folks make you put "National Beer Blah Blah Blah" in the address line. They should just say "NHC - Ohio Chapter" or something. So when the lady asked what was in the box, I told her "samples". Then, when she saw the "beer" part of the address line, she was like, "is there BEER in here!?". I said, oh no, of course not! She didn't inquire further. :D If she HAD asked more questions, I'd have dropped the ol' "Yeast Samples" half-truth on her.

Why does the NHC do that?

I put "NHC 2007" on my box. I even took out the "Beer and Wine Making" part of the address. It got there fine, and no questions from UPS.

Dude said:
Well, I shipped off 4 entries. I have high hopes for 2 of them. The others I'd be surprised.

One of the 2 I'm proud of is in one of the worst categories to enter though. That beer has to be amazing--I'm confident. ;)

What did you enter, Dude?

Cheyco Libre said:
What did you enter, Dude?

S.O.S. (Smoked IPA)
Lake Walk Pale Ale (APA)
Bitter End (ESB)
Gruagach 80/- (Scottish Ale)

Those are in order of how I think they will finish. If the S.O.S. doesn't advance to the second round, I'll be disappointed. The LWPA is great, but green. The Bitter End is awesome. It is a 50% DME beer....Gruagach is prolly too malty (sweet) to advance...but WTF....

Dude said:
I put "NHC 2007" on my box. I even took out the "Beer and Wine Making" part of the address. It got there fine, and no questions from UPS.

I did the same. No one asked me anything. It is there I presume, but I should check the tracking!

The ding bat at FedEx didn't ask me anything. The address is for Ale Smith Brewery in San Diego. The address stated began with NHC 2007. If they would have asked I would have said I was sending a bottle for a contest being held at the brewery. :D
This is so stupid. How many thousands of bottles of beer are shipped each year?We need to get the laws changed.

You know...a thought occured to me on the Smoked IPA. It will be in the same category as smoked porter. That hurts my chances, I think. You can make a pretty damn good smoked porter--but I would think a smoked IPA is a bit outside the box. I dunno.

Well, I don't think you have any choice. It's different enough where it will be something they have to think about strongly. Probably 95% of the entrants in that category are porters.

the_bird said:
Well, I don't think you have any choice. It's different enough where it will be something they have to think about strongly. Probably 95% of the entrants in that category are porters.

Yeah, and I don't think I have the confidence (based on my past experience) that the judges will look at it that way.

We'll see.

I'm sitting here worrying if I screwed up. I entered the fruit/vegetable category with my pumpkin ale and I just noticed I didn't list the base beer style. Does this mean I'm screwed? I wouldn't even know what the base style is. Maybe ESB? Damn I wish I would have looked at that closer. :mad:

My impression was that most fruit beers didn't specify a particular style... time to go grab Daniel...

EDIT:
"Most of the currently available fruit beers specify no classic style and therefore fit into the generic fruit category...."

Guess it doesn't speak to NHC entrants, just to commercial examples.

Dude said:
I'd try e-mailing Janis Gross and see if she can let the "judges" know somehow.
I just did. I don't know if there is anything she can do but It's worth a try.
I've got $23.00 invested in that dang beer. I'll be pissed.

I'll definitely be sitting in on teh Brewing Sour Beers seminar with Vinnie. Especially now that I have that Bourdeux barrel sitting in my living room. I've been itching to innoculate that thing with some Brettanomyces!

I think there is at least something I want to hear about during each of the session. This will be my first NHC, though, so I guess I don't really have anything to compare too.

I am back to thinking I could haul my draft box up to this thing. It would certainly be nice for Club Night. 5 taps plus 2 beer engines. Like to see those other girly club top that! Attach a couple Randals and we would never need to leave. 2 furniture dolleys would make it mobile and I assume the doors are wide enough. I wonder if they have ground floor rooms with patio doors, so I could set it up in my room during the week. Safe keeping is my biggest concern. I would hate to have my taps walk away.

Brewpastor said:
I am back to thinking I could haul my draft box up to this thing. It would certainly be nice for Club Night. 5 taps plus 2 beer engines. Like to see those other girly club top that! Attach a couple Randals and we would never need to leave. 2 furniture dolleys would make it mobile and I assume the doors are wide enough. I wonder if they have ground floor rooms with patio doors, so I could set it up in my room during the week. Safe keeping is my biggest concern. I would hate to have my taps walk away.

DO IT!!!!!!

Brewpastor said:

If you bring the altar of beer, we shall all rejoice.

Brewpastor said:
I'd be happy to secure it at my house when not in use.

RichBrewer said:
I'd be happy to secure it at my house when not in use.

Now that makes it a bit more comfortable. I think I need to do this, in which case, how does this effect our booth plans? I will work something up and post it soon.

OK, here it is:

HBT.png

Quick question: I know the final winners won't be announced till august or something, but when do we know the first round results? the NHC website doesn't say.

The final winners are announced at the final dinner at the conference (Saturday night). The second round notices will come out fairly soon but I don't know when. I am assuming e-mails will be sent to those who have made the cut, but no general list will be published.

Back