Afraid to ask, but too frustrated not to....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it sours with bottle carbing? Sounds to me like it may be something with the bottling bucket, hose, bottle filler, and or bottles. no hint of this sour flavor before it is bottled?

Another thing I have learned, if you use oxyclean with hard water, it seems very hard to get it to rinse well. I have had no problems with hard water rinsing since switching to the PBW cleaner.

something I don't think has been discussed:

if you are doing all grain, are you grinding your malts in the same area as you're fermenting and/or bottling?

Wanted to give a quick update: Bought a turkey fryer, replaced the bottling spigot, tubing, autosiphon and wand. Started using PBW for cleaning and using all equipment fresh from the sanitizer. Sneaked a taste of Java Stout last night and it is FABULOUS!!!!! Not even a hint of sour taste. Thanks so much, all of you for your help. I am renewed, re-energized and ready to brew again!

Totally OT, but I just drove through Jefferson on my way over the Boreas Pass to Breck. I'm totally jealous of where you live.

Also, being a newbie, I'm finding this discussion very informational. :D

Wanted to give a quick update: Bought a turkey fryer, replaced the bottling spigot, tubing, autosiphon and wand. Started using PBW for cleaning and using all equipment fresh from the sanitizer. Sneaked a taste of Java Stout last night and it is FABULOUS!!!!! Not even a hint of sour taste. Thanks so much, all of you for your help. I am renewed, re-energized and ready to brew again!

happy for your success!

It is beautiful up here, Kozzer. Winters can be a challenge, but worth it. Next time you're through, stop at the Pony Espresso/Post Office in Jefferson. I'm the Postmistress. I'll buy you a cuppa!

Back