Adding sugar to 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesWoolford

Reaction score
When I set my batch away I added the 23ltr of apple juice yeast and so on it's foaming and seems to be on its way.. but is it too late to add sugar into it to enhance the abv? I never added any at the beginning and starting to think I should have..its been a week now fermenting, just wondering if I add it in now is it too late? I know the yeast may be strained by doing that having sugar suddenly breaking it down so if I boiled and cooled it and poured it in would that be easier on the current yeast? Or add a bag in with another packet of yeast? Thanks

Toss it in, everything will be ok.
IMO, a can of frozen apple juice concentrate from the store is a better way to increase ABV. You can also freeze concentrate some apple juice yourself and use that. I've also boiled apple juice down and added that for more ABV and flavor.

Toss it in, everything will be ok.
IMO, a can of frozen apple juice concentrate from the store is a better way to increase ABV. You can also freeze concentrate some apple juice yourself and use that. I've also boiled apple juice down and added that for more ABV and flavor.

Brilliant! Think I'll boil down some more apple juice with some sugar and chuck it in, do I pitch it on top of the foam and leave? Or shall it stir it in slowly? Thanks

I'd stir it in. Also, if you add boiled juice, your cider might be cloudy when its done and will also have a different flavor compared to the other options. If you have another fermenter, you may want to split your batch and try more than one additive.

I'd stir it in. Also, if you add boiled juice, your cider might be cloudy when its done and will also have a different flavor compared to the other options. If you have another fermenter, you may want to split your batch and try more than one additive.
Cloudy cider.. sounds great to me haha thanks for the help

Back