Adding Pumpkin Pie Spice Very Late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BausFight

Reaction score
Hello all, happy October!

I ran out of time to do a pumpkin beer this year, so I was wondering... Could I add pumpkin pie spice "extract" to a sealed grouler (oatmeal stout) I made 4-5 months ago to have a pumpkin-y flavored beer on Halloween? I'm not trying to win awards, just something for my family to sip on.

Curious to know your thoughts!

This is homebrewing...you can do whatever the f**k you want!

In all seriousness though, I think that would work just fine as more and more people are reporting that using actual pumpkin contributes next to nothing to the finished beer and that the 'pumpkin' flavor people are after is the spices. If you're looking to use a commercially produced 'extract' just be sure there is nothing fermentable in it and I think you'll be fine.

With all that being said, my wife only drinks about 4 beers a year and 3 of those are a stout that she puts ~.5oz of pumpkin spice coffee creamer in. I wanted to hate her for it but it's damn good...Cheers!

This is homebrewing...you can do whatever the f**k you want!

In all seriousness though, I think that would work just fine as more and more people are reporting that using actual pumpkin contributes next to nothing to the finished beer and that the 'pumpkin' flavor people are after is the spices. If you're looking to use a commercially produced 'extract' just be sure there is nothing fermentable in it and I think you'll be fine.

With all that being said, my wife only drinks about 4 beers a year and 3 of those are a stout that she puts ~.5oz of pumpkin spice coffee creamer in. I wanted to hate her for it but it's damn good...Cheers!

Hah, awesome, thanks! Should I add it now and let it sit in the growler for a few weeks? I'm going to be putting it in a pressurized growler a few days before we drink it to let it fully carb up.

you could also dose each pour if you didn't want to do the whole growler. There's a place in town that rims the glass with spices then pours the beer in so you sip the spice with the beer. It can be pretty cool as long as you use well milled spices.

Back