Cinnamon Stick Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Hello all....I am on my 3rd overall batch of beer. I brewed a Smashing Pumpkin kit from Northern Brewer 4 days ago. I used canned pumpkin and an extra pound of 6-row as they suggested. After doing some more reading on pumpkin ales, I have seen people add a cinnamon stick to the fermenter. I plan on keeping it in the primary for 2-ish weeks. I already pitched my yeast and it seems to be doing well. My question is, if after my airlock quits bubbling, which I hope will be in the next couple days, can i pull the airlock and drop in a cinnamon stick and let it finish in the primary for another week? If I can, should i spray the stick down with san-star just in case before i drop it in? I am hoping the cinnamon stick will enhance the pumpkin flavor (i did add an extra amount of pumpkin pie spice as well at flame out). I brew in one gallon batches for now.

Thanks in advance, I have learned so much from this site in the last 4 months or so!!

Josh in MN

Back