Adding coffee to beer idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applescrap

Be the ball!
Reaction score
Today I wanted to Rack my beer but hadn't had the time to buy the coffee or cold brew it. I saw a commercial somewhere for Starbucks cold-brewed coffee and it got me thinking. I called them and they said they cold brewed for 20 hours. Recipe is 5 pounds of coffee for 14 liters. So doing a little math I came up with around two and a half ounces for 16 ounces cold-brewed coffee; which is what I wanted to use exactly. I grilled them about their Sanitation and once was pleased bought the coffee. Cost $4 and I figured two and a half ounces of their coffee would cost $2 , so a little price hike. Anyways welcome thoughts, ideas, comments and critique?

I was thinking about trying that for a beer as well. I usually cold brew my own toddy, but when I was picking up a coffee for my wife, I saw their sign advertising their cold brew. Any indication what coffee they use in it?

No unfortunately forgot to ask. i figured it wasnt light roast, which is all i like to drink anymore if possible, because everytime i order I have to ask for light roast. I think their standard go-to is Pike's Place, but really all their coffee is pretty heavily roasted so would it matter? I dont know. Starbucks is arguably great coffee no doubt and the beer taste is reflecting that. They were going on and on about how strong they make it. They normally dilute it with water so I asked for it straight. Overall very pleased it's really nice.

I haven't used Starbucks, but I used one from Trader Joe's a couple of years ago. I was getting ready to package a batch of porter and, on an impulse, I added the bottled cold brew. It was excellent.

Yeah I heard Whole Foods and some of these places had cold pressed coffee too? Love trader joes

I drink their cold brewed coffee almost every day, and I think it would be just fine to use in beer. I caution, however, that the coffee they use varies. Some days is very acidic, and other days it's way more mild. Some days you get a nice toffee/butterscotch flavor, other days it's harsh. If I was going to use it for beer, I would ask for no ice so it doesn't get diluted. I don't think it would be a good option if you were going for consistency, but it would work no problem.

Sometimes I even get it with 2 espresso shots and light ice, and it's like rocket fuel.

Starbucks is arguably great coffee

You are right... I would argue it's even drinkable, much less great. ;-)
Bree on. There's nothing more to see here.
Cheers

Back