A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that link was wrong. Here is the right one

http:/www.ff.im/6FJiL

Cool! ...And I took this pic at my local pub last night:

1d4784d6.jpg

olllllo, would it be possible to get an update on numbers information from the forms that have been submitted? Or maybe you are gonna keep it private to avoid possible disappointments if some brewers don't follow through?

The Rovers are very excited about carrying on Kev's hobby of brewing good beer, as just one way to keep Kev's memory alive. I'm sure we will have many questions for you guys since we know nothing about brewing beer, so I look forward to communicating with you in the near future.

Thanks again to everyone for all that you have done. The Rovers will raise their glass to all of you next time we get together.

DJP

I am not a member of the Michigan mashers (A large sub group of this forum) So I could not suggest it on their message board. Maybe one or two of their members might step up and organize a "Teach-in brewday" for the Greenwood Rovers?

Just a thought.....

11 gallon of Shiver Me Bitters pitched and fermenting.

Anyone else brew this yet?:mug:

I think you are first! Mine is scheduled to be brewed on the 30th of this month.

August was going to be my no brewing month, but now it's my 2 batch month! Need to decide if I want to do 5 or 10 gallons of this recipe.

Mine is also tentatively scheduled for next weekend. This is going to be a busy month for brewing.

I'm throwing this out there as a possibility as well. I would be willing to have a local brew gathering with anyone else in the Chicago area to brew this. Kevin's brother said he would love to participate in anything in the area so I would love to have him an any other Greenwood Rovers participate.

I'm going to post this in the Chicagoland Brewers group as well to try and drum up interest.
I'd be up for this. I posted in the Chicagoland Brewers group as well, but thought I'd dupilicate my post here, so any other locals could see it and jump on board.

Thanks Ed. I ordered the kit on Saturday, it showed up this morning. I missed the 'don't mill my grains' option somewhere along the way. So it's one less step I had to do this am.

Mashed in to 156.2, sparge water is on.

B

I'd be up for this. I posted in the Chicagoland Brewers group as well, but thought I'd dupilicate my post here, so any other locals could see it and jump on board.

Thank you for posting this opportunity. I have passed this along to Kevin's brother and the rest of the Rovers and and we would really like to take someone up on the offer. We would like to keep Kevin's brewing going, but could really use a hand to start. Kev was so excited that November is Teach a Friend to Brew Month and was planning on having the boys over for a lesson. Please feel free to contact me if you or anyone else is willing to step in.

Thank you!

Thanks Ed. I ordered the kit on Saturday, it showed up this morning. I missed the 'don't mill my grains' option somewhere along the way. So it's one less step I had to do this am.

Mashed in to 156.2, sparge water is on.

B

It was my pleasure. Thank you for ordering it and helping the Rovers.

Thanks,

Ed

PS: The no crush option is on the check out page.

Are there any more ideas on when the swaps will take place? I plan to brew this beer, but because of monetary reasons, I might not be able to do it in the time frame. I'd rather not sign up than have to back out at the last minute.

Done, pitched and did. Just gotta sit back and wait for some bubble heaven :)

First time I ordered from Brewmaster's warehouse. Thanks again Ed for the special effort you made for this cause. Great service and the best crush I ever got from an online store.

My only worry is that with the recipe being built on 65% efficiency and the superb crush you have, I'll be throwing out a freakin' 7% beer :)

SShhhhh!!!! I added some water to bring down the ABV according to the recipe and leave more spare beer for myself after those darn pesky donations! ;)

I think mine has finished its main fermentation but I haven't checked the FG.

Are we going to get a swap thread going soon? I'm wondering how many folks have signed up.

I have lost track of the label portion of this thing. I know some designs were presented but did we get a final version? Also, is there going to be a place on each label for the brewer's name? I think it needs an area on the label that says brewed by xxx. Maybe that was already discussed?

We have 14 Brewers
13 will exchange representing 35 slots (uneven)
11 will gift to Rovers
9 will go to the family

I was tentatively giving folks until mid October to brew with the goal of sending out around mid-October.

Yes, we still need a Rover/Family label and a final exchange label, but we have some time. I have been out of town every weekend since July and September (for me) is not any better. That's why I have as yet to brew or decide if I can or not.

But yes, stuff will have to start falling into place soon. I'll go back to the list at some point and make sure people have brewed.

I'd like to set the gifting of beers to a minimum of 3 to each group.
So if you are gifting to the Family and the Rovers, thats 6 beers.

There shouldn't be a shipping difference for 3-6 beers IIRC.

I've got my stuff on order. Hopefully it will get here so I can brew this weekend. I'll see if I can mock up a more PC label tonight when I get home.

My only worry is that with the recipe being built on 65% efficiency and the superb crush you have, I'll be throwing out a freakin' 7% beer :)

Yeah I have seen a couple of recipes come through that were adjusted for efficiency.

Thanks everyone for the orders and the helping the Rovers. Now get to brewing already.

Ed

I'm only swapping with members and plan on using my label froma few apges back. Unless someone else puts something else out three. I agree the Johnny cash should not be used to family.

I'll just leave the recipe as is and have a little more ABV.

I just ordered my supplies from Brewmasters warehouse and will be set to brew anytime from next week on. If anyone would still like to make this a group brew day just chime in and i hope the Chicago brewers can make this happen. I would really like to contact some of the Greenwood Rovers once we have a location and date set up to come out and help us brew and experience the fun that is brewing.

In terms of days I'm available: all day every Friday and Saturday as well as most evenings.

ThickHead I would love for you to come out and join us. If we can nail down a time and place I'll forward the info to you.

Ed (BMW): I took the discount on my order, but feel free to remove the discount on Shiver Me Bitters if it will help his family any.

I haven't read all 230 posts in this thread, so this may be old news. The plan is to brew this sometime today, so I was just looking over Kevin's originial recipe and comparing it to what I ordered from Brewmasters Warehouse. There are two things that stood out.

Kevin has the Maris Otter at 3-1/4 lbs, but Ed's recipe has 3 lbs. Not a big deal, especially if your already adjusting for your efficiency.

The second may have more impact. Most of the hops from Brewmasters Warehouse were about the same as what Kevin used, but the Tettnang was way off. Kevin's were at both 2.4%AA and 4.6%AA. Ed's are at 5.1%AA. Ed's did make an adjustment to the hop schedule, but you may want to look at it and compare to what you are using.

What I do is put the AA numbers from an originial recipe into Beersmith to get the IBU's that were intended. Then put in the AA's of the hops that I have on hand and adjust the amount to hit the desired levels.

Here's the original hop schedule.
60 min 1 oz Williamette 5.1% AA
45 min .5 oz Tettnang 4.4% AA
45 min 1 oz Tettnang 2.4% AA
20 min 1 oz Fuggles 4.6% AA
10 min .5 oz Williamette 4.5% AA
0 min .5 oz Tettnang 2.4% AA

We'll all be putting our own spin on this recipe (either ingredients or just the effect of our systems and technique), so this is just a "heads up" if it's something that you didn't notice.

Anyone else brewing this today?

Kevin has the Maris Otter at 3-1/4 lbs, but Ed's recipe has 3 lbs. Not a big deal, especially if your already adjusting for your efficiency.

I have updated the recipe for this oversight. I can not beleive I did not notice that before. As you said a lot of people have been adjusting quantities down to adjust for efficiency.

The hop adjustments, the best way is to use Beersmith or similar programs to get the intended IBUs and replace that with the correct amount of the AA% of the hops sent. You will end up with extra hops, but the recipe will be as intended. Too bad you can not get specific AA% when you order hops.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ed

It’s all buttoned up and percolating like a happy coffeepot.

When I order from Ed, I subbed in all Simcoe hops (for an upcoming IPA) because I already had all of what Kevin’s recipe called for. At the last minute I switch all the Tett to the bittering end when I realized that mine were pretty old and I didn’t trust them for flavor/aroma. Also, I got better than expected pre-boil efficiency, so I upped the IBU’s on the fly in anticipation of a higher OG (ended up at 1.065, Oops!)

FWH .65 oz Tettnang @ 4.0% AA for 10 IBU
45 min 1.2 oz Tettnang @ 4.0% AA for 15 IBU
20 min 1.25 oz Fuggles 4.5% AA for 10 IBU
10 min 1.7 oz Williamette 4.8% AA for 10 IBU
0 min .75 oz Williamette 4.8% AA

This will be a little big for an ESB. :rolleyes:

Fermenting as we speak. Due to the contracted timeline, I figure I'll give it 2-1-3 (out of town next weekend), which will get it done the third week of october.

Going to be ordering mine in the next couple of days. Just need to take stock of what I have already. I think have most of the hoppy needs, and I'll be putting my own spin on the recipe with my now-house Burton Ale yeast :)

Back