8 Gallons of Turkey Stock - in my brew pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
After cooking/smoking 3 turkeys for TDay.
I deciede to make up some stock.

I generally do so each Sat after thanksgiving for my traditional turkey gumbo.

However with 3 carcass I went for a larger goal to make stock that I can freeze.

after I simmer/boil for 3 hours.. I was going to use the wort chiller to get the temp down then put in containers and freeze... should be good stuff.

Picasa Web Albums - The Griers - Everyday Stuff
7DpM4tvPCjBe4YxWDToiYQ

Oh I thought you were going to try for your 21st century version of "cock ale"

or at least the fermented version of...

image_jonessoda_2003_bottles1.jpg

But wow 8 gallons of homemade stock....I can't even begin to count the ways I'm jealous of you right now...

So how are you going to get the grease an eau du turkey out of your pot and wort chiller though?

It is an immersion chiller.. and I have not thought that far ahead....

Probably .. soak in oxy and then re season the aluminum with a nice long boil?

thoughts?

thoughts?

I dunno...that's why I hoped you had an idea....I'm thinking you may need a long boil first to hopefully remove any grease (which would be my biggest concern, you don't want that in your wort).

I remember a kitchen degreaser back when I was a kid called "grease relief" it was blue and dissolved greas from any pots and pans...if they still mage that I would soak everything in that first, then boil, then rinse thoroughly...maybe a couple boils..

thanks.. I will report back on this..
I am kinda of srewed at this point :)

I also use this brew pot (15gal) to boil crawfish at my annual crawfish boil each year...
Oxiclean with a long soak with .. really clean the pot.. but I have to re boil water in it ..like 2x to get my layer of grey back..

We shall see... :)

thanks.. I will report back on this..
I am kinda of srewed at this point :)

I also use this brew pot (15gal) to boil crawfish at my annual crawfish boil each year...
Oxiclean with a long soak with .. really clean the pot.. but I have to re boil water in it ..like 2x to get my layer of grey back..

We shall see... :)

DOn't panic,,,yet...:D

I googled and found out that as I suspected "grease relief" was caught in a corportate takeover, I think by Johnson and johnson and Discontinued...

BUT there are some extremely strong Orange Degreasers....They have them at Gordon's Food Service...they are so good that undiluted they will dissolve the fat from your flesh...but IIRC they won't harm pipes and pots...so you might want to look into that...I think I even recalled seeing the product in HD near the turkey fryers and BBQ's

the mold repair guys in my shop use an orange cleaner that you have to wear high grade gloves for protection. i'm not saying to use this but gfs should be able to solve the grease issue then just reseason.

the mold repair guys in my shop use an orange cleaner that you have to wear high grade gloves for protection. i'm not saying to use this but gfs should be able to solve the grease issue then just reseason.

It's probably the same stuff....unless one is foodsafe while the other isn't...I lived with a woman who worked in the food industry, and she used to bring the stuff I'm talking about home...it worked great, but was pretty dangerous you had to wear gloves as well....

The grease relief stuff that my mom used to buy, was real benign.

But the orange stuff doubled as a grease trap drain degreaser in kitchens..

I'm sure that would work...

Eriks right about the need to re-season everything.

I remember a kitchen degreaser back when I was a kid called "grease relief" it was blue and dissolved greas from any pots and pans...if they still mage that I would soak everything in that first, then boil, then rinse thoroughly...maybe a couple boils..

When I am in the middle of a "back when I was a kid" memory, it usually does not include kitchen degreaser.

If you don't know the trick: Filling containers of leftover turkey with stock before freezing prevents freezer burn and ensures you have stock for gravy.

My grandfather used this on fresh fish. Although he used water & empty milk cartons.

UPDATE:

Well the pot was greasy. Not as bad as I thought but enough that oxiclean could not clean it film was still there.

I went and got this for like 3$. It does not say food grade on it but it does mention using on your bbq grill.

So I used it with gloves, protective eye gear (it was windy here today) and it worked like great.
After rinsing I filled the pot with water and I have it boiling. I was going to boil it for about an hour just to make sure.

I think all will be fine. I reduced the 8 gallons down to about 6 and the flavor was amazing by the way. Got the heat down quick and put it in ziplocks (quart size) and put them in the deep freeze.

Thanks again for your help.

Let me know if have any further concerns.
Thanks
T

thoughts?

I see that you didn't but I thought I would chime in....

Oxyclean on aluminum does not work out so well. If you let it soak overnight you will end up with a nice layer of heavy oxide and your pot will be very black. But, a 15-30 minute soak in oxyclean will clear that black stuff right up.
(That is what I did this morning :)).

Yep.. I have read about that ... (long soak) ... I do use it for short soaks for cleaning.
Good point of clarification.

I see that you didn't but I thought I would chime in....

Oxyclean on aluminum does not work out so well. If you let it soak overnight you will end up with a nice layer of heavy oxide and your pot will be very black. But, a 15-30 minute soak in oxyclean will clear that black stuff right up.
(That is what I did this morning :)).

Black stuff on an aluminum pot is desirable to a point. You will need to either boil your pot full with h2o for an hour or bake in your oven at 350 for ten minutes if you clean off this passive oxide layer. This layer is what protects your beer from developing any metallic off flavors. This should be done with any new aluminum pot as well.

UPDATE:

Well the pot was greasy. Not as bad as I thought but enough that oxiclean could not clean it film was still there.

I went and got this for like 3$. It does not say food grade on it but it does mention using on your bbq grill.

So I used it with gloves, protective eye gear (it was windy here today) and it worked like great.
After rinsing I filled the pot with water and I have it boiling. I was going to boil it for about an hour just to make sure.

I think all will be fine. I reduced the 8 gallons down to about 6 and the flavor was amazing by the way. Got the heat down quick and put it in ziplocks (quart size) and put them in the deep freeze.

Thanks again for your help.

Let me know if have any further concerns.
Thanks
T
T
The citrus was the proper cleaner for your pot. Try to avoid a high ph cleaners when dealing with aluminum. High alkaline solutions are typically better de-greasers, but will react with soft metals like aluminum.
Regards

Thanks for the positive vote.

The cirtus cleaned worked really fast and well.

I boiled water in the pot for an hour 2x and it is clean and seasoned.
All worked out.
I am brewing a stout today in it. Yuri's Black Project.

Latest posts

Back