6 mth old crushed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
Im sure its a no dont do it. But as we all know life gets in the way, i have 3 kids work 2 jobs. Last time i went to the brew store i got everything for 2 brews. Well i only made one. The grains are crushed if i rember right its 7# pilz 2# vienna 2# wheat. I was going to make a ipa with all cent i have 9 oz to use. Are the grains still good? Or should i givem to the niebor for there chickens.

+1 for taste them

If they visibly are fine, taste like something you could make a beer with, and arent growing anything funny on them, then the worst case scenario is you make beer.

worst case is you make shitty beer. question is.... do you want to risk 6-8 hours of your time over $15 in grain?

i'd toss it at that age.

I just brewed yesterday with grains I milled in September (I understand the chaotic schedule issue..trust me!) and it turned out great! I hit my numbers on the dot and it didn't have any noticeable 'off' flavors. I say go for it! Save the grains for the chickens after they're spent. Worst case scenario is you make beer (which, after yesterdays brew day, will be delicious) :mug:

As others said, taste it. If the grain doesn't taste stale it should be OK as long as it was stored in a tightly closed plastic bag and dry. Fairly cool storage is beneficial.
I've used grain that was milled 6 years before use, alas I added enough fresh 2-row to make sure it would convert. Great beer, no issues!

Now if your beer were a strong malt forward beer where there's nothing to hide in the malt, use fresh. In an IPA this should be A-OK.

I'd mash the batch and taste the wort it produces. Let that be your deciding factor.

And all my liquid is out of date

Make a starter, let it stir for 2-3 days, or a week if need be.
Once the starter becomes significantly lighter in color you'll know you've made fresh yeast, let it go another 24 hours after that color change.

Then either cold crash and decant or pitch as is. Leave some behind for your next starter, and so on.

I just brewed yesterday with grains I milled in September (I understand the chaotic schedule issue..trust me!) and it turned out great! I hit my numbers on the dot and it didn't have any noticeable 'off' flavors. I say go for it! Save the grains for the chickens after they're spent. Worst case scenario is you make beer (which, after yesterdays brew day, will be delicious) :mug:

Ditto!

Back