4 x 1 gallon batches. New here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ribbon

Reaction score
New here and have a few questions. This is my 2nd time making mead. The first came out fairly good but was cloudy (was a renfest kit)

Here is my 2nd attempt (4 x 1 gallon batches) all using Wyeast 4632 yeast

1st gallon
(sir digby recipie)
1lb Raisins (boiled and squeezed in a cheesecloth)
2.5 lb clover honey
the rest water

2nd gallon
(sir digby recipie modified with hops)
1lb Raisins (boiled and squeezed in a cheesecloth)
2.5 lb clover honey
the rest water
1/4 oz hops (pellets)

3rd gallon (starting with 1 gallon apple cherry cider)
2.5 lb clover honey
the rest cider

3rd gallon (starting with 1 gallon apple cherry cider)
2.5 lb clover honey
the rest cider
1/4 oz hops (pellets)

Few questions. I'd like to add the hops dry. When do i add it? Is 1/4 oz good?
How long do i wait to rack it? Is 14 days sufficient? Or should i get a hydrometer?

I bought some yeast energiser also (the guy at the store said just get energizer and no nutrients) When and how much do i add? It came with no instructions.

I havent added the yeast yet... but will tomorrow.

unsure. I had a hopped mead a few years ago (when i was 16) being the first booze i ever had it was great! Only had a few glasses but i remember it being great. Maybe it was the coolness of it... not sure.

Depending on AAU percentage of the hops that might be a little much.
I like to make braggots that are more a mead, and I find that hops are very potent in a mead that is really a very light, fragile and elegant in it's taste.
In any case, I would add any dry hops in the the last four days of the primary, then rack into secondary to avoid any grassy impact.
Once again, just my opinion, less hops is more. You want a balanced light drink that keeps the drinker searching for all those hiding flavours.

well you really shouldn't be putting any hops in....it's a mead not a braggot. even cysters don't have hops in them.

that being said....with 5%AA and you planning on only having it in a couple days, your concern isn't the AA of the hops making it bitter (because it's not being boiled) it's the possibility of an overwhelming hop flavor/aroma, a grassy/piney flavor that you may not be looking for. Either way, it's a homebrew though, enjoy and let us know how it turns out! :)

While it's perfectly legit to hop a mead, I'm not sure how the hops will taste in a cyser. But hell, try it and see what happens. The raisin one should be pretty good with some hops, but I need some convincing with the cyser. ;)

I'd dry hop it for a few days, taste, and go from there. 1/4 oz should be plenty for a 1 gallon batch. As for timing, I agree with Kahuna.

Back