Batch 2 & 3 Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadz78

Reaction score
So I started my 2nd and 3rd batches of mead about 2 weeks ago. They seem almost ready for testing and racking. Here is the recipe I followed:

1. 1 gallon each, Natural spring water (from the source) filtered through coffee filters before using (just to be sure there wasn't any dirt in it from the spout it was retrieved from)
2. 3 lbs of honey each, locally sourced (Dutch Clover Blossom in one and Sweet Clover in the other)
4. Yeast, Lalvin 71b-1122
5. Yeast Nutrient and Energizer delivered mixed with same water before adding, on a staggered schedule, every 2 days (0/2/4/6)
6. Dearation about every 2 days or so (especially before addition of nutrient/energizer)

I'm really anxious to see if the water made any taste difference. If it did, I'll be getting more in the spring for other batches. I'll update this thread once I get some analytics and taste testing done (probably about a week or so).

Why Dearation? I made some mead but just about ready and it got burned up in a fire. I am ready to try again. I did a little Dearation (shook the 1 gal bottle some) but never found if necessary for mead. It is not called for in many recipes.

By "Dearation" do you mean degassing to let out the CO2? That is a good idea before adding nutrients.

Yeast need oxygen for the first part of their growth cycle, so it is good to stir twice a day for the first several days. Stirring releases CO2 and lets in some O2, both of which help the yeast at this stage.

I know about it before adding something as I have done it with regular starters. I know about the oxygen at the start and not after fermentation. I would think that with mead, you would add anything before the yeast. I guess my real question is why the staggered yeast nutrient additions for mead? And yes, you would need to de-gass or you will have a geyser:oops: if you stagger.

SNA (Staggered Nutrient Addition) is usually used for mead to help keep the yeast healthy and happy. Hitting the yeast with the full amount of nutrients up front can actually harm them, so it is better to feed them several smaller doses rather than one big one. SNA schedules also often start with organic nutrients such as Ferm-O, and then add in some DAP later on when the yeast can better handle it.

More information here: Improve Your Mead with Staggered Nutrient Additions

Back