4 Days to Carb, Best Method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I have 4 days to carb a Blonde Ale in a keg before a party I would like to serve it at. How do you supposed I go about this? I seem to have bad luck with carbing a beer to fast.

You're going to have to Burst Carb it.

I carefully put the gas line on the beer OUT post. If you jam it on you are going to have a helluva time getting it off. It just need to be on enough to get the gas moving. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can do it on the gas in post to.

Set the psi to 25-30. Push the connector on and you'll hear the gas gurgling up through the beer. (If using the OUT post) Once that noise stops. Unhook the gas and shake the keg for 3 minutes. Rock that thing.

Hook up the gas and repeat this step 3 times.

This has to be done to COLD beer.

I then hit it with about 20 psi and leave it off of the gas for a day. Hook it up to 12 psi the next day and check for carbonation. You might have to bleed a little gas out if foamy.

Assuming you have the ability to chill the keg, I would:

1. Chill beer in keezer for at least 24-hours
  2. Remove keg from keezer, connect gas, set pressure to 30-PSI
  3. Gently rock keg back and forth for 2 or 3 minutes (you should hear C02 being forced into the beer while rocking the keg)
  4. Put keg back into keezer and remove the gas line
  5. Leave in keezer until needed for party
  6. Once at party, release excess pressure from keg using the keg's pressure release valve
  7. Connect to C02 tank at 12-PSI for dispensing
  8. Serve

The above has worked for me when I need to burst carbonate a keg of beer in a hurry.

The way I do it, hit the keg with 30 psi to seal lid, purge the headspace of air to put a blanket of co2 on the beer, put keg in the fridge with the 30 psi gas line on the keg and let sit for 3 days or so, then when ready to serve remove gas line, vent pressure at relief valve, set regulator to servin pressure of about 10-12 psi or so and enjoy, and leave the pressure at that setting for the life of the keg.

I don't shake the keg, or hook up disconnects to opposite posts, etc. I'm sure all these methods work just fine, but this one has worked really well for me thus far and its really simple.

One note though, your beer might not be perfectly carbed, but it should be close and will definitely be drinkable.

All these methods sound good. I open a beer. Take an hour to figure which is the in and out. I open another one and finally hook up at 30 psi. Release some co2. Open another beer and goto sleep? Roll out of bed and roll and hug my new born beer. Hook it back up and goto work. Play with it more after work and repeat. Next morning 20 psi and third day around 11 psi.
Good luck.

Assuming you have the ability to chill the keg, I would:

1. Chill beer in keezer for at least 24-hours
  2. Remove keg from keezer, connect gas, set pressure to 30-PSI
  3. Gently rock keg back and forth for 2 or 3 minutes (you should hear C02 being forced into the beer while rocking the keg)
  4. Put keg back into keezer and remove the gas line
  5. Leave in keezer until needed for party
  6. Once at party, release excess pressure from keg using the keg's pressure release valve
  7. Connect to C02 tank at 12-PSI for dispensing
  8. Serve

The above has worked for me when I need to burst carbonate a keg of beer in a hurry.

So if you do this you could have a beer carbed and drinkable within 24 hours (+ a few minutes) of kegging? ...man I need to get some kegs..:(

So if you do this you could have a beer carbed and drinkable within 24 hours (+ a few minutes) of kegging? ...man I need to get some kegs..:(

Yes, drinkable within 24-hours.

I personally prefer to slow-carb over 2 or 3 weeks but this burst-carbing method works well when you need it in a hurry.

Yes, drinkable within 24-hours.

I personally prefer to slow-carb over 2 or 3 weeks but this burst-carbing method works well when you need it in a hurry.

I also need beer for this weekend!

Here's what I'm doing:

Putting the kegs in the kegerator at 30 psi for 48 hours, then purging and setting at 12 psi. It should be perfect by Saturday!

Here's what I'm doing:

Putting the kegs in the kegerator at 30 psi for 48 hours, then purging and setting at 12 psi. It should be perfect by Saturday!

I'll have to try your method sometime Yooper... I think I got my burst-carbing information from a post by Yuri-Rage. :mug:

could it be coincidence that we are all looking to have our kegs ready for this weekend (memorial day weekend)???

I am in the same boat. I was planning on hitting it with 30psi for 36-48hours, then purge and drop down to 12psi until sat.

What's this weekend. Lol
My turning 2 child will have 2 kegs with a orange cascade ale and nugget nectar clone for her bday party.

Here's what I'm doing:

Sage advice, Yooper.

This is my method when I need a beer carbed in a relatively short timeframe.

Here's what I'm doing:

This is also the method I've been using, it's much easier and works just fine. I seem to get a lot of foam when serving at 12psi though, I usually have to drop it down to 5-8psi for nice pour out of a picnic tap.

fxdude said:
This is also the method I've been using, it's much easier and works just fine. I seem to get a lot of foam when serving at 12psi though, I usually have to drop it down to 5-8psi for nice pour out of a picnic tap.

Need longer hose?

Yeah, I far prefer the 30 PSI for 48 hrs to the 30 PSI and shake method. Every time I shake I overcarb my beer, as one or two shakes can make all the difference. Just setting at 30 for 48 hours works every time and is easily repeatable, however.

All these methods sound good. I open a beer. Take an hour to figure which is the in and out. I open another one and finally hook up at 30 psi. Release some co2. Open another beer and goto sleep? Roll out of bed and roll and hug my new born beer. Hook it back up and goto work. Play with it more after work and repeat. Next morning 20 psi and third day around 11 psi.
Good luck.
You are the wind beneath my wings :mug:

Back