304 vs 316

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but because our search won't find 3 letter words, I can't seem to find anything.

I'm pricing out parts for a RIMS system including misc fittings for the kegs and such.

I know 316 has molybdenum added and has better corrosion resistance (though I don't know under what circumstances) than 304. The price difference in most items is small, but on larger items, it is a larger gap.

It's my understanding that kegs are 316, and I shouldn't have any problems soldering 304 to them, however, what if I ended up welding them? Should I just pony up and get the 316 fittings for the kegs, and just go with 304 for the RIMS manifold?

Thanks!
Steve

This has probably been discussed before, but because our search won't find 3 letter words, I can't seem to find anything.

I'm pricing out parts for a RIMS system including misc fittings for the kegs and such.

I know 316 has molybdenum added and has better corrosion resistance (though I don't know under what circumstances) than 304. The price difference in most items is small, but on larger items, it is a larger gap.

It's my understanding that kegs are 316, and I shouldn't have any problems soldering 304 to them, however, what if I ended up welding them? Should I just pony up and get the 316 fittings for the kegs, and just go with 304 for the RIMS manifold?

Thanks!
Steve

I don't know where I read this but I remember that 304 is preferred for food contact. Check out my RIMS tube thread. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/build-relatively-inexpensive-tri-clover-rims-tube-159639/

Back