Kegland vs Komos?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
Noticed the Komos has a discount at morebeer so had to go look at others to compare price. I realized the pictures used are the exact same as Kegland. Anyone have an idea if these are in fact the same? Links are for generic two tower. Specs seem same as well with temp range and keg space. If this is well know forgive my ignorance.

Kegland pics

Komos pics

It’s hard to find reliable source info, but from what I've been able to gather Komos V2 is distributed, or manufactured by Kegland in Australia. MoreBeer carries it as the Komos, and Williams Brewing resells it under the same name as Kegland does natively, which is the Kegland Series X. I’m 98% sure the internals are the same. Towers, taps, and included accessories may vary however.

Good info and appreciate the replies. Makes the options a bit easier when I figure out which direction I want to go.

There's a not so clear controversy about how this happened but it has something to do with a business relationship between the current owner of Kegland and his "ex" business partner in China (the manufacturing side) and making side deals with other distributors in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I probably got one or two details wrong there, but that's the gist and as someone who has contract manufactured various inventions in China over the last 10 years, I know first hand that it does happen.

There's a not so clear controversy about how this happened but it has something to do with a business relationship between the current owner of Kegland and his "ex" business partner in China (the manufacturing side) and making side deals with other distributors in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I probably got one or two details wrong there, but that's the gist and as someone who has contract manufactured various inventions in China over the last 10 years, I know first hand that it does happen.

I think I read it here that's why More Beer has to use the Komos brand name on their kegerators. William's is an authorized dealer. Essentially they are the same thing. What doesn't make sense to me is there are other Kegland stuff you can buy on More Beer (Fermzilla products for instance).

On another topic, wasn't Kegland and Keg King one company at one time?

If that's a can of worms, then mods go ahead and delete this post.

Follow up question. I'm still debating on even buying vs building. Suppose I go ahead and buy one that states it can hold 8 Ball lock kegs, I was thinking only putting 6-7 to leave space for the CO2. Does that make sense or should I just leave it on the outside?

Another follow up. Anyone successful putting 8 kegs in one of these? The measurements don't add up to allow 8. I assume there is a staggered way to do this.

Follow up question. I'm still debating on even buying vs building. Suppose I go ahead and buy one that states it can hold 8 Ball lock kegs, I was thinking only putting 6-7 to leave space for the CO2. Does that make sense or should I just leave it on the outside?

Another follow up. Anyone successful putting 8 kegs in one of these? The measurements don't add up to allow 8. I assume there is a staggered way to do this.
I have the regular/smaller Series X with 4 taps and have no problems with keeping the gas on the outside. It uses a really quick disconnect that allows me to easily remove my CO2 tank and use fir other stuff when needed. I have no experience with larger, 8 keg version, but the smaller one comfortably fits 4 kegs.

A part of me still kicks myself for not holding out and getting the 8-keg 'plus' version, but on my 4-keg unit, it's sized for 4 genuine ball-lock cornelius types... I don't think you could fit 4 pin-locks in it, nor most torpedos. My cheap 1.6G mini-keg is just a bit too wide to fit with 3 other ball-lock Cornelius kegs, as the bottom of the door won't allow it close, so I have to set it on top of an old tin coffee-can to lift it above the door lining and close the door. I haven't looked at the measurements, but as I've seen the pics of 8 kegs (presumably all the Kegland Corny clones), I'd say it's safe to assume they'll fit. They do include a hanging shelf for the CO2 tank on the back and it fits a 5lbs tanks just fine... I've got a 10lbs tank jammed into mine and it just fits...I don't think a 20lbs tank would. With the bottle-cap openings on either top corner to stick the lines through, there's really no benefit to leaving the tank on the inside.
:mug:

Appreciate the replies. Only reason I thought about keeping the CO2 on the inside is I keep reading about how it somehow helps when it is cold. I plan to get a 10lb or maybe two if I go 6-8 kegs. I just assume I'll play around with pressure and need different amounts. This will probably be another year or so down the road. I plan on using my garage refrigerator and a few picknick taps on the first 2-3 kegs before expanding.

The price is legit, but for 3 kegs I would have to reconsider. Putting 3-4 of these in the house isn't going to cut it. If (when) I scale down this would be a good option to revisit.

I currently run a 4 tap keezer. I’m tired of lifting kegs up and over into this chest freezer-style setup. Nowadays we rarely have people over so having 3 kegs on tap works fine. I always have 1 or 2 aging/waiting in the wings.

I don't have the "double wide" Komos, just the standard size. More Beer has a chart for both kegerators stating what sizes they can hold. On mine, I can vouch it will hold 4 standard ball locks that are typically 8.5" in diameter. The standard Torpedo kegs are wider (9.5" dia?), but I can fit my two 2.5G Torpedos with two of my regular cornys. You have to shoehorn them in there, but they fit. I think I had to have the Torpedos up front to make it work.

As for the CO2 tank, I'd leave it outside. I used to keep mine inside of my past keezers and noticed a rust ring developed on the floor of my keezers with the steel tanks. That and just having more space was the biggest reason I keep them on the outside now.

I pulled the trigger today on this one:

EdgeStar BR3002BL 24 Inch Wide Kegerator Conversion Refrigerator for Full Size Keg - Black Amazon.com

I definitely plan to mount the tank on the outside, but what about the gas splitter? Do people tend to mount them inside or outside? I’ve only had a keezer and a fridge set up in the past.
Have you got and set this up yet? If so, are you happy with it? I'm right on the edge of ordering this in the next couple days, and tipping toward doing it. I have the 2-tap tower, lines, regulator, 2 20lb tanks, 3 way manifold, tons of gas and beer disconnects, etc, already. All I need is the body to put them in and on. I also have 2 chest freezers with temp controllers to do ale and lager ferms.

Have you got and set this up yet? If so, are you happy with it? I'm right on the edge of ordering this in the next couple days, and tipping toward doing it. I have the 2-tap tower, lines, regulator, 2 20lb tanks, 3 way manifold, tons of gas and beer disconnects, etc, already. All I need is the body to put them in and on. I also have 2 chest freezers with temp controllers to do ale and lager ferms.
Very happy with it. The reviews were hit or miss, mostly referring to shipping damage. Mine came perfect and set up easily.

I made one modification. My tank is on the outside, manifold inside. I drilled the stopper they provide for the gas line hole so I can still plug the hole tightly with it. Otherwise the 4mm line leaves a huge hole.

Very happy with it. The reviews were hit or miss, mostly referring to shipping damage. Mine came perfect and set up easily.

I made one modification. My tank is on the outside, manifold inside. I drilled the stopper they provide for the gas line hole so I can still plug the hole tightly with it. Otherwise the 4mm line leaves a huge hole.
I'll be ordering 1, then. Nice to hear it worked out great for you.

I like the price on this one, I now have 4 kegs so I need a bit bigger version.

I like the price on this one, I now have 4 kegs so I need a bit bigger version.

Buy two Edgestars. Two of those in stainless are just $79 more than a single Komos. The difference in price is even smaller if you don't mind the black. Two would "easily hold" 6 kegs so that would give you two kegs on deck if you're just wanting 4 taps and probably room for bottled/canned goodies.

The Komos can fit 4 kegs, but they have to be the standard sized ball lock corny kegs or the Slimline Torpedos (both 8 3/8" dia) and it's tight. I'm not knocking the Komos. I have one. Mine is a hand me down (it has shipping damage on the front corner), but less than $400 for a similar sized kegerator is hard to beat imo.

Can anyone confirm if an All Rounder can fit in there or how many Fermonsters? For that price, and its footprint, that might make a nice fermentation chamber.

Might just have to finish up the keezer build instead. A few hours left to complete it. I saw it's available on walmart's site for the same price, but i have enough Amazon gift certificates to totally pay for it there. For the br3002bl on amazon:

Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

This is saved in my cart. Can't even find it on Amazon with a new search.

.....but i have enough Amazon gift certificates to totally pay for it there.

LOL! I get recognition points at my employer, so I may go this route myself. I've got a small overland fridge for my Jeep that was $350 about 3.5 years ago. After my points, I only paid $38 for it. It's still going though the AC port on the fridge is a bit wonky.

The edgestar kegerator comes from the same factory as our older "series 4" kegerator. The Kumos kegerator is our Series X kegerator. The difference has been described in detail in this video here:

Although they look similar when you see them side by side they are quite different in build quality.

The main difference is cooling speed and power consumption. We continue to sell both models on our website as you can see here:
https://www.kegland.com.au/collections/kegerators
With that said the better quality series X (AKA Kumos) accounts for more than 70% of the sales. We also get less than half the returns proportionately when compared with the series 4.

I hope that assist you with the purchasing decision.

Appreciate the replies. Only reason I thought about keeping the CO2 on the inside is I keep reading about how it somehow helps when it is cold. I plan to get a 10lb or maybe two if I go 6-8 kegs. I just assume I'll play around with pressure and need different amounts. This will probably be another year or so down the road. I plan on using my garage refrigerator and a few picknick taps on the first 2-3 kegs before expanding.
Great idea sir :)

I now use nukatap minis with flow control disconnects for kegs kept in the fridge. Simpler, no lines, better foam control.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...ts/Nukatap-Faucets-Shanks/Nukatap-Mini-Faucet
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...g-Connectors/DuoTight-Flow-Control-Ball-Lock-

Nukatap Mini - Tap only

Due to the low amount of thermal mass and the low conductivity of the tap the Nukatap mini is a great option as it will always pour with less foam than a full size tap even when the tap body is warm is seems to pour quite well. In Australia we are getting an increasing number of people using these on keezer and kegerator builds too with the wall mount shank kit. We will probably have to also make towers/fonts for these too soon. The only issue with the Nukatap mini is the flow rate is slower so it's not ideal if you are catering for a wedding or if you are using the taps commercially and regularly filling jugs.

The Nukatap mini as a flow rate of about 150-300ml/10 sec
The Nukatap SS and FC as a flow rate of about 250-450ml/10sec

So if you find the slower flow rate acceptable then I think they are a fantastic option.

Back