20gallon kinda spike solo setup with Brewfather need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitHole

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I have a pretty decent profile on my BIABasket setup that I built years before the 20 Gallon solo systems came out. But now a bunch of u are in the same boat as myself, so maybe I can improve a little.

My basket is not tapered and has 1in all the way around and is a 15gal kettle converted. I have 4gallons of dead space under my basket like I assume u guys do as well because that’s as low as spike will weld a 2in tc fitting for element.

I usually get a killer whirlpool and suck her down to the tapper in the bottom of the kettle. I figure I have about a 1 gallon of waste in piping/chiller/trub…. But setting it to .5 works perfectly

In the Brewfather app I have it set for 4gallons of deadspace. But I feel this is inaccurate because we have that space around the basket too…… but none the less the number seams to workout.

But if I lower it and tweak the numbers... Then I can get enough water to switch the profile to fly sparge and I store all the extra fluid in the fermenter next to my system I’m about to use and I fly sparge through my rims tube and I get really good results.

I believe part of my problem is I should adjust my grain absorption but that would move things around quit a bit and get me even further away from fly sparging unless I was to lower the deadsace quit a bit.
But we don’t want that to get to low in fear of dry firing element underneath. Which when I’m recirculating my mash or stepping up in temps, I heat the kettle 1° higher then desired temp and my system fires back and forth between rims tube and kettle to automatically adjust my mash to desire temp.

My boil off rate is 1gallon on the dot!! I just rip the water off of my house pressure ghetto like and it works awesome. I use those stupid 4in tc clamp covers and just flip them over upside down, and it pulls so much suction it holds it on there no issue. That’s how I know I’m getting good suction.

I really don’t want to talk about BeerSmith and how it’s better because I already used it for 5years and disagree whole heartedly. So I would appreciate it if we stuck to what Brewfather has to offer because I’m full invested in using that software now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.41 AM.png
    160.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.27 AM.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.13 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 9.56.13 AM.png
    187.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0242.jpeg
    IMG_0242.jpeg