3 Week Lagering -- Too Short??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Just wondering what negative effect(s) might be noticed upon lagering for only 3 weeks?

I planned to brew a dark mexican lager with WLP940, but need to have it ready on March 1st. This would allow me ~7 days to ferment at 50F, a few days for d-rest, and ~3 weeks for lagering at 34F. I would then quick carb in the keg.

Any insight/feedback would be appreciated

I think you're pushing the limits. Only 1 week fermentation for a lager, then a short lagering period as well. Might work if you pitch an absolutely massive amount of yeast, but it might give you a mediocre lager as well. Time is your friend with lagers.

it might be less clear/clean/crisp, but should still taste good if your pitch properly and control your temps well. I usually start drinking mine around then with same schedule and they continue to lager in the keg around 40. My lagers are usually at FG by day 4-7 tho, YMMV

Instead of quick carbing (which can give some carbonic acid "bite), why not put the keg on the gas right away, while it's lagering, so that it can carb while it lagers?

A 7 day fermentation period may or may not be enough for your beer. If the OG is in the 1.040s, a 3 week lagering period should be just fine.

My recent lager (OG: 1.049) Took 10 days to hit FG and that was with proper yeast pitching rate (Massive starter!) @ 50F. Hitting a stable FG and letting the yeast clean up after themselves is probably better than lagering before the yeast are done!

Back