2007 Raleigh Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
Wait now.....if we unload the Jeep of all my crap, I can easily get 3 more people downtown. The next morning we'd have to get up early enough to go get my Jeep and load it and have me on the road by NLT 1 PM.....

But I have no problem driving us down there.

The goal is to get down there and back safely and without abandoning anyone's car.

I'll paying for the cab ride unless you insist on leaving your car in downtown Raleigh overnight.

-walker

so what time are all the festivities starting? what time should BLG and i be there? and we will be more than happy to bring chips!

sailman said:
so what time are all the festivities starting? what time should BLG and i be there? and we will be more than happy to bring chips!

Festivities will be starting as soon as we get back to my place from the festival, which I expect to be around 5pm. It's probably better if you give us a little extra time to get our butts in gear (in case we're running late), so I would say you should be OK with showing up any time after 5:30pm.

Thanks for bringing the chips!

-walker

blg.. here.. walker could you please resend us your address info.. someone (sailman) deleted it before i wrote it down! :)

Hang on guys...it just depends on how close we want to be. IF two people want to fit into the back of the VUE then we're good to go. Personally, I would do it to save cab fare ($30?), but I'm a cheap bastard. The ball's in your court, ballers.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Hang on guys...it just depends on how close we want to be. IF two people want to fit into the back of the VUE then we're good to go. Personally, I would do it to save cab fare ($30?), but I'm a cheap bastard. The ball's in your court, ballers.

OMG....2 people only in the Vue, uh...we can do that. We'd have been A LOT closer in the Jeep. I'm assuming a baby seat will be back there as well?

The VUE doesn't sound like a problem to me.

I call shotgun though. :D

Man, if I didn't have the Texas Eggfest, I'd be out there, sure as shoot! You guys have fun! Next year, I'm there. Let me know the date if you get it when you are there.

EdWort said:
Man, if I didn't have the Texas Eggfest, I'd be out there, sure as shoot! You guys have fun! Next year, I'm there. Let me know the date if you get it when you are there.

Just so happens there is another one in October. :rockin:

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'm talking about two people in the cargo area.

I'm 6'-3", 250 pounds....let's get a taxi....unless Liz wants to drive my Chrysler Town & Country which can carry 6 passengers + driver.

Is that even legal, riding in the cargo area?

I suppose if they're anywhere in the country you won't get pulled over for someone riding in the back of a pickup, it's North Carolina... :D

Dude said:
Hey, it isn't our fault you need to go on a diet. ;)

I'm game for the cargo area--wouldn't be the first time. Maybe I'll share some of my special love juice with the lucky partner. :D

I am on a diet. It sucks. Yes, BO will be in the vehicle.

Dude said:
Maybe I'll share some of my special love juice with the lucky partner. :D

Ummm.... maybe I'll take the taxi by myself.

Seriously, though.... if Billy thinks he can get his crew + Dude + Boston + me in the VUE (I don't mind riding in a cargo area), then let's do it. No taxi.

One SWMBO drops us all off.
One SWMBO picks us all up.

-walker

Dude said:
Beer diet, I hope? Or SWMBO mandated? I have a feeling I'll be on a SWMBO mandated diet in a few weeks and it won't be pretty.

No more Breyer's ice cream.
No more potato chips.

Lots of yogurt
Lots of cottage cheese

Baron von BeeGee said:
There certainly was a lot of boobage towards the end of the session at last year's festival.
Mmmm boobage... was that the afternoon session or the evening. Good work if you're getting some boobs by 4 in the afternoon.

So, I've been out of touch lately and just got caught up on the thread. Is the rally plan still via cell phone tag, meeting at 11:30 somewhere near the gate? Walker, you've got my # and I've got yours. Should I carry a flag or some other beacon?

I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Focus

The "golf bag" draft system is finished. Also, I'm bringing the randall along.

Focus said:
So, I've been out of touch lately and just got caught up on the thread. Is the rally plan still via cell phone tag, meeting at 11:30 somewhere near the gate? Walker, you've got my # and I've got yours. Should I carry a flag or some other beacon?

Let's do the phone tag, but I am going to have to ask you (and everyone else) to contact me rather than the other way around. I've got a half dozen numbers and I'll surely **** it up.

If we can manage to meet before going in that would be cool. Otherwise we can meet inside the place. Just call me and we can figure out a particular brewery stand to meet up at.

-walker

Last night I cleaned out all of my beer lines and taps and got the dry hops removed from the Rye and IPA. I also had a sample of each of my four beers on tap.

(1) Pilsner: a little hoppier than normal, but not too much. I'm not much of a lager-man, but this tasts pretty good to me. I didn'ty hit the mark I was aiming for, but that's not too shockiong since I kind of winged the recipe and didn't do any research.

(2) IPA: I had an efficiency problem so this one is a little weaker and less malty than it should be. That causes the hop bitterness to stand out more than it should, but after a half a pint I didn't notice it anymore.

(3) Rye: I was pleasntly surprised. I had a TON of problems on brew day for this one and was expecint something that wasn't even potable. It turns out that this is probably the best thing on tap. It's weaker than it should be (pathetic efficiency due to tun problems) but still tastes good.

(4) Porter: this has aged out pretty well. It is starting to exhibit a slightly nutty taste, which I think is pleasant. I still think I need to add mroe molasses to this one, but it's good.

I am ready to roll....

Walker-san said:
(3) Rye: I was pleasntly surprised. I had a TON of problems on brew day for this one and was expecint something that wasn't even potable. It turns out that this is probably the best thing on tap. It's weaker than it should be (pathetic efficiency due to tun problems) but still tastes good.

Must be the recipe. ;) :p

Ok boys....I'm leaving here at 6 AM. Should be at Walker's by I'd say 10 at the latest--provided I don't get lost which is a REALLY strong possibilty. I am allowing time for that because I am a true ninny when it comes to directions. With no SWMBO to guide me, I'm destined to get lost for sure--but....I have a phone.

Walker--I'm skipping out on the wings. I am having a miserable time with my back--so I may take it pretty easy Saturday night. I certainly don't want to be stooped over the grill for an hour babysitting wings. I'm on some pretty good drugs right now but I don't plan on taking any tomorrow at all. Still bringing brats (and buns) though--we can take grill shifts if need be. I plan on bringing some snacks too.

Jeff, I have a sh!teload of hops to fill that randall--I have a bag of mystery hops (well, kind of, they are either Simcoe or Amarillo) that I need to get rid of anyway, and they are perfect for the randall. Can't wait to see the golf bag, LOL. :rockin:

Weather still looks great--a bit breezy though. High of 79, partly cloudy.

Call me if you need anything before I jet--hitting the sack early (10 PM) tonight.

Bringing the travel 'rator with Loose Cannon and Red Eye Rye--and growler samples of LWPA, S.O.S. and Gruagach (all subject to change based on availability).

Boston said:

see yall THOUGHT we had to work.. i just couldnt find tickets!! :ban: :D

just kidding actually! greg does have to work.. but we cant wait to get there..

ill bring some of my caramel cream ale and we will also bring along the mead..

we will bring a variety of chips for all to enjoy before mandated diets! LOL

it was great to see everyone yesterday. The weather was beautiful, the beer was delicious and the chicks were awesome.

Thanks to Mrs. Baron, Mrs. Walker & Walter for making it a great event.

It was fantastic...thanks everybody. SWMBO and SWMBO by Walker for ferrying us around; the Walkers for hospitality; Boston, Walker, and Dude for homebrew; Dude for bratwursts. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff.

Back