2007 Raleigh Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hippiefreak said:
Damn, when it rains, it pours....

Right at the beginning of festival season....The weekend before is Shakori Hills http://www.shakorihills.org/ , and SWMBO is extremely unlikely to get two weekends off in a row (especially after taking 4 days off).....plus, we'll be broke from participating in the all the festivities ;) Shakori was the first festival she ever went to, and now I've turned her into an addict.. (I'll never forget her reaction to the whole festival scene thing - saw Del McCoury Band, and Sam Bush - I wouldn't trade that for the world).

Sucks, cuz I haven't seen the guys from GUTA in a while - and it would be fun to hang out with them again.

If anyone can....come meet us at Shakori....we can figure out some way to meet there if you're interested (cell phone service out there sucks, so that won't be an option)....and it costs about the same as one day at the brew festival for a whole weekend of music in the woods with a bunch of freaks. I'll be the guy in the tie-dye =)).

Otherwise, we've got the whole summer to get together...

On another issue.....finally decided to make the jump to all-grain...looked around and decided that I could get 10 gallon coolers with the false bottom and plastic valves and stuff from Homebrew.com/homebrewadventures....had the whole setup with plastic valves, hose, and Phil's Phalse bottom for 159 bucks....damn, that's cheaper than i was able to find two 10 gallon coolers for......

Well, apparently, there's a shortage of those 10 gallon coolers.....placed my order on the 23rd, and no order confirmation until today....got anxious on Monday after no order confirmation, and when I looked on their website - the price had gone up 30 bucks for the setup (well, hell Northern Brewer has the same setup with stainless valves for 199)..let it slide, cuz I have this thing about supporting 'local' businesses, and liked the fact I can pay for ground with my orders with them and usually get one day shipping anyway....

Well, today(Wednesday), I get notice that the 10 gallon coolers are on back order...well, I'm not in that big a hurry, but am concerned that since my approximate receive date is xx/xx/xx, that I'm being blown off - hoping that I'll back off and order them later at the higher price. Asked me if I wanted to just get the part of the order that they have or wait for the whole thing....well, since all the beer kits I ordered are all grain - kinda useless for me to get the all-grain kits without the mash-lauter tun.

Given that past experience with Northern Brewers makes me feel like I would have had the system they offered already (with the stainless valves).....I'm not sure how to take this.....I would have at least expected a call like Monday or Tuesday if it was back-ordered (Northern Brewer called me on my last two orders the same day or next business day - just to tell me they got out a day late - actually, now that I think about it, NB has called me on every order that I've placed....I only went with them in the beginning because they are the HBD sponsors....I've liked the partial mash kits I've gotten from HBA - they've been top-notch, with extra grain/hop bags and quality all the way....I'm just concerned that after the merger, things have changed ). I"ve heard some of y'all comment on the 'green board' so I know you've dealt with them.....should I be worried, or do ya think they'll come through?

I don't want to make a stink, but I just want someone to reassure me that I'm not gonna spend the whole spring waiting for something just to save 30 bucks.......when I could have gotten better hardware yesterday, and paid a little more in shipping......

And, yes, before anybody flames me (stress tested Lord of the Rings Online all weekend, so I've had my share of Trolls....and orcs, and goblins, and other creepy crawlies this weekend...hehe) - yes I know that getting two 10 gallon Gotts with false bottom and valves for 159 bucks is a steal....that's why I jumped on it......but if you're gonna advertise a whole setup and it's not in stock - I expect to be told that when I add the item to my cart.......I've provided IT support to many of those inventory/supply websites for the past 10 years, and I know that it's not hard to make sure your current inventory is reflected on your order page - and if you drop-ship certain items, you let your customer know WHEN they place the order, not 5 days later.

Am I just being an *******? ;) It's OK to say so, I've tried so hard to be perfect at it ;) (dad always told me to be good at something).

Also, with all the scary stuff I've heard about the scarcity of (ball-lock) corny kegs....anybody got good experiences to share about acquiring those? Can't even peruse the back parking lots of the local fast food joints, since they've all gone to the baggy in a box or 200+ gallon syrup tanks ;) hehehehe

Well, hope to meet you Eastern NC area brew freeks soon....

Peace, love and free beer,

Chris (aka Hippiefreak)
http:/bt.etree.org/chorner

Holy fright...cliff notes, please?

Dude said:

I was thinking the same thing. I read about 2 paragraphs when the ADD kicked in.

Sorry Hippie.... :drunk:

no apologies necessary....I find myself doing it all the time - especially about things that interest me....unfortunately, it's hard to see folks eyes glaze over online...

You should see the posts that never make it when I'm sober enough to go "Holy @$@!, did I just write all that?"

Will strive to be a little less verbose in the future ;)

SWMBO didn't quite see the value of the VIP tix that I did. I'm still up for it but if I can't convince her then it doesn't make too much sense.

I am moving to Raleigh May 1st....nice timing huh? Anyway this festival was one of my main selling points on the area so I am going to be big into the '08 festival. Its such a ball buster that I am going to miss this thing by a few days. Oh well, what can you do?

ChilliBrew said:
I am moving to Raleigh May 1st....nice timing huh? Anyway this festival was one of my main selling points on the area so I am going to be big into the '08 festival. Its such a ball buster that I am going to miss this thing by a few days. Oh well, what can you do?
Go to the Durham & Asheville festivals in the fall! Tour Carolina Brewery, Big Boss Brewing, Duck-Rabbit, etc...the possibilities are endless.

Welcome to the area! We'll have to get you plugged in to the super-elitist (EAC have no idea) GRABASSery.

Damn, both festivals are advertising as being sold out.....Durham even goes as far as to say TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT THE GATE!!! Guess that takes care of trying to convince SWMBO that it would be more fun than Fall Shakori, which is also that weekend ;)

Hippiefreak said:
Damn, both festivals are advertising as being sold out.....Durham even goes as far as to say TICKETS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE AT THE GATE!!! Guess that takes care of trying to convince SWMBO that it would be more fun than Fall Shakori, which is also that weekend ;)

Tickets won't go on sale for the Durham fest until a few weeks before the fest...it is prolly advertising that from the last one.

For the Raleigh fest, I just went online and checked...VIP tix are sold out but regular ones aren't....

Dude said:
Tickets won't go on sale for the Durham fest until a few weeks before the fest...it is prolly advertising that from the last one.

For the Raleigh fest, I just went online and checked...VIP tix are sold out but regular ones aren't....

Oh, OK, cool......wonder what link I ended up on from google to get the sold out page for Raleigh? Must've been a cached page or something. damn Internets..... :D

I'm workin real hard on this diarrhea of the keyboard thingie, but i've got one more question related to my original mini-novel....I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I started the thread here, so move it if need be.

Dude said:

Hehe....there's few things that get me going, but SWMBO, computer-geekines, live music and homebrewing tend to cause the ol' diarrhea of the mouth/keyboard problem.......I write technical documents for a living, so having to explain techie things to non-techie folks has made me a little more verbose than most folks need to deal with.

I was a poster child for Ritalin back in the 70s - when my teachers were trying to figure out what they could give me to shut me up and make me sit still.....

Paraphrase....

Spoke to the owner at homebrew.com about my order, and he told me that Listermann is no longer shipping items to distributors....only available directly through their site....anybody else heard this? So, they no longer have the Phil's Phalse bottoms in stock, but he was still able to put the 12" sparge arm in there for me.

Soo....he's gonna equip my mash/lauter tun with a bazooka-type t-screen setup instead of the phalse bottom....I told him that seemed like a cool substitution to me, so go for it. I'll eventually use this system with some kind of recirculating pump - so it's probably the way to go - right?

Anyone got any advice/warnings about this setup? I see myself doing some potentially sticky wheat/rye-type mashes in the future - am I asking for trouble using a relatively small, central drain area? What about channelling?

Hope I'm not one of those newbies asking the questions that piss y'all off ;) .....

Peace, love, and spare beer,

Chris (aka Hippiefreak)
http://db.etree.org/chorner

Keg1 - Partial mash ESB - Killed
Keg2 & 3 - on order
secondary - a nice oatmeal stout vinegar (first bad infection)
bottle - a nice Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout which, after ageing, is getting very, very drinkable, hic :drunk:

Who's going to be coming to my place for the after-party, and who's coming to my place Sunday for some brewing?

Just trying to get a head-count.

-walker

Walker-san said:
Who's going to be coming to my place for the after-party, and who's coming to my place Sunday for some brewing?

-walker

OK..after your PM--I got things straight. ;)

I'm in for both--all I need is an extra couch (if that is cool--I can easily get a hotel room too!). :p

I've been trying to figure out a mobile brewery plan. Ugh. Hope I can fit all of my crap in the Jeep!

I will buy a ticket tonight. :ban:

me and SWMBO are in. we'll buy tickets tonight. We could also use an extra couch (SWMBO can sleep on the floor :D ) if any are available, if not, a hotel is fine too.

Walker-san said:

-walker

I will be at the party for sure. I'll be brewing if I am able to get out of the sack & function on Sunday morning.

me and the soon to be mrs. would love to come to the after party.. we have some beer we can contribute and if we dont finish this keg up ..we will have at least a half a keg of her pale ale.. i have inventory that day so i cant make the fest but ill be about around 4ish..

let us know if we can be a part! we'd love to see everyone!

Bump.

Are we still doing this? Doesn't seem to be as much chatter as last fall.

Let me know what I need to bring as far as food. I forget if I answered Walker or not but I won't be brewing that Sunday.

Also, is there going to be room for me an SWMBO to crash with someone? If not, I need to reserve a hotel room relatively soon.

Yeah, we're still on. No chatter because Richard and I have been working a lot, Boston is out of the state, and The Baron is out of the country.

-walker

Back now...looking at my brewfest ticket lustfully. I'll be around for the festivities Saturday but Sunday I have commitments. If nothing goes terribly wrong I'll have a keg of Oliviator Doppelbock and Big Tom Rye.

I do believe that tickets for both the afternoon & evening sessions are SOLD OUT. Got mine.

looks like local tickets are still available, just the online tickets are sold out.

was just wondering if we could still come out and see you guys at the after party? BLG would be more than happy to bring anything and we have plenty of beer to share!!!

let us know!

(i got inventory that day and CANNOT get out of it..cause im already gettin out of an audit thing to go on some honeymoon! LOL)

sailman said:
was just wondering if we could still come out and see you guys at the after party? BLG would be more than happy to bring anything and we have plenty of beer to share!!!

let us know!

(i got inventory that day and CANNOT get out of it..cause im already gettin out of an audit thing to go on some honeymoon! LOL)
Absolutely. Come on down.

I'll PM you my address.

-walker

awesome.. what time is everyone meeting for the after party? and what can we bring? besides beer? :)

ive got some mead ready.. we will be toasting it at the wedding but we have more!

Anyone in the are willing to get me tickets local and I will pay you with paypal? My brother lives in Benson, but I am not sure if he can get them in time. I am driving from MA to MD to get our father then going to Benson for the weekend. Of course I would send the payment first.
Thanks
Leo

I did talk with my brother and he is going this afternoon to get the tickets. Thanks all who thought to help out here. If anyone is going to be there for the afternoon session, look for me. I will have my "Beer Deliver Man" hat and my "Drink Pee Repeat" shirt on. Plus I'm a big guy so you can't miss me.;)

shbrewer said:
I did talk with my brother and he is going this afternoon to get the tickets. Thanks all who thought to help out here. If anyone is going to be there for the afternoon session, look for me. I will have my "Beer Deliver Man" hat and my "Drink Pee Repeat" shirt on. Plus I'm a big guy so you can't miss me.;)

All of us are going to the afternoon session.

I'll PM you my cell phone number if you want to try and meet up with us at the festival.

sailman said:
awesome.. what time is everyone meeting for the after party?
Oh, I dunno....

The session ends at 4pm. Need to wait for the wife to pick up the drunkards and get us back to Cary.

How about 6pm? I can get the grill fired up and start cooking.

sailman said:
and what can we bring? besides beer? :)

ive got some mead ready.. we will be toasting it at the wedding but we have more!

Bring whatever libations you want. If you have special requests for the grill, bring those, too. I'll probably have burgers, brats, and dogs available.

-walker

okie dokie.. we will be there say around 615.. and ill bring some dessert and we will bring beer and mead!

looking forward to it!

Latest posts

Back